Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Getting an upgrade: sometimes you have to be a nudnick

Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

I have a flight from Zürich to Singapore booked in D (rtw: LH stock). Even though Singapore Air.com shows save her first class availability, there was no upgrade space at the saver level available over the phone. I called a number of times, and the agent would tell me that the waitlist is closed and I can only upgrade at the standard level.

I spoke to many agents and a supervisor. They each told me it was impossible, and that the waitlist would not open.

I called again today, and the agent saw the saver award available, if you manually put it through for the upgrade at the savor level.

Persistence pays.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Congrats, always a good idea to keep having a go
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Alaska, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Did you call UA or SQ for the upgrade? Using UA miles?
I am trying to get an upgrade for the SQ 12 flight from SIN to LAX and the UA site says there is nothing available, but ExpertFlyer says there are lots of empty seats in Business.
Any recommendations?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:02 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by woot
I am trying to get an upgrade for the SQ 12 flight from SIN to LAX and the UA site says there is nothing available, but ExpertFlyer says there are lots of empty seats in Business.
Any recommendations?
OP had LH issued ticket with the FRA-JFK on SQ, and he called SQ to upgrade that sector using SQ KF miles.

You have to call the airline whose miles you are going to use to upgrade, not the airline you are travelling on.

SQ releases awards space on their flights to their own SQ KF members. At one stage, BMI (RIP) and then Lifemiles were the only two * Alliance carriers who could fairly easily book SQ flights. Now difficult to find long haul flights on SQ using Lifemiles, although inter-Asia, to/from AUZ you can still find SQ award seats using Lifemiles. albeit usually at higher levels after the Lifemiles devaluation.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by woot
Any recommendations?
AFAIK, you cannot use UA miles to upgrade on SQ flights on their 77W, A380 aircrafts.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
OAt one stage, BMI (RIP) and then Lifemiles were the only two * Alliance carriers who could fairly easily book SQ flights. Now difficult to find long haul flights on SQ using Lifemiles, although inter-Asia, to/from AUZ you can still find SQ award seats using Lifemiles. albeit usually at higher levels after the Lifemiles devaluation.
I thought lifemiles & BMI ( ) availability for J cabins on SQ mirrored Miles & More (LH) availability. Certainly about 6 months ago when I last checked it was strongly correlated, LH could see everything Lifemiles could, but on ANA online booking engine (as proxy for the rest of star alliance carriers) I didn't see any availability on long haul 77W & 380 flights (as expected). ANA certainly didn't correlate with LH/Lifemiles.

Also, has anyone been able to secure longhaul 77W & A380 awards in the F cabin (either as award or upgrade award) using star alliance partners (other than at times when there were temporary system glitches)? I thought these type of awards/upgrades are simply not available for any star alliance partners.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
AFAIK, you cannot use UA miles to upgrade on SQ flights on their 77W, A380 aircrafts.
What in the world does AFAIK stand for??
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:27 am

As Far As I Know, it stands for As Far As I Know
Old Feb 7, 2015, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nzbutterfly
what in the world does afaik stand ofor??
afaik
pita
lol
lmao

http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/?lookup=L
Old Feb 7, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Firemansam
As Far As I Know, it stands for As Far As I Know
oMG!!.....
Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: SQ KF, A3 Gold, CI Dynasty, UA MileagePlus, ANA AMC, HH Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Zomglolwdfbbqhaxor!!!!
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
IANAL (I am not a lawyer), but you are sadly correct. I'm not sure if it's just UA, or any *A upgrades (UA and KF are my only *A program's so I never checked).

Too bad, as I have a ton of UA miles to burn and would happily use them in large chunks on SQ upgrades.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Singapore_Schwing
IANAL (I am not a lawyer), but you are sadly correct. I'm not sure if it's just UA, or any *A upgrades (UA and KF are my only *A program's so I never checked).

Too bad, as I have a ton of UA miles to burn and would happily use them in large chunks on SQ upgrades.
The only airlines' FFP allowed access to SQ's coveted premium J/F awards seems to be LH's M&M and Avianca's Lifemiles. Don't know why.

For your UA miles, you can use them on LH flights.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 7:05 pm

LH is like the big brother of Star A but not sure why life miles get good access on SQ redemption.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.