Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not as Great as the Hype

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by mitwg
Ironically enough, the 6-7 intra asia redeyes on SIAs do have menus called 'sleeper' service.

Except all it does it lets you choose to either have dinner or breakfast and they still turn the lights on for the whole cabin...

I frequent on SQ603 and every time I get around 3 hours sleep max and the angled bed doesn't really help either.
Exactly. Sleeper service to me means lights stay off after take off, breakfast served as late as possible and wake up calls 40 mins before landing. So when doing New York to London it's still possible to get around 5 hours sleep. Should be able to do the same for Singapore Tokyo.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by geminidreams
The reality is the SQ business seats aren't the best out there so what is the premium for?
Quite impressive. You can judge a seat by walking through the cabin.

Walking through J the product is average.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by demue
That part I also hate. On my last KIX flight in J they woke me up close to 2hrs:45mins before touch down on the overnight flight (SQ618) after I barely napped for 2.5hrs (and no I did not eat the supper at 2am). Really pi**ed me off.
They respect that you want to sleep if you tell them it advance. I never had that experience that the tried to wake me up for BF. I usually wake up with the announcement that we are landing soon. Especially on the red-eyes from/to Japan/Korea/China i try to maximize my sleep.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by KACommuter
Exactly. Sleeper service to me means lights stay off after take off, breakfast served as late as possible and wake up calls 40 mins before landing. So when doing New York to London it's still possible to get around 5 hours sleep. Should be able to do the same for Singapore Tokyo.
Unfortunately a few passengers a usually ranting about such "limited" service. We had such rants here as well (Why not two meals on SIN-NRT?).
I can handle it pretty well and skip the meals. As i fly mainly red-eyes in the 4 to 7 hour range and i learned how to ato sleep in a full lighted up cabin. But i would prefer to have a dimmed cabin and more silence ,-)
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by SQ325
Quite impressive. You can judge a seat by walking through the cabin.
Sure can cant you? Are they transformers in disguise? Its not as though I haven't flown J or F before! Ive flown J on SQ, CA, AF, EK, EY, KA, TK, AC, LH. If flying SQ J is you thing then great but if you are deluding yourself that they have a far superior product you should think again, its on a par with its competitors. I fly SQ a lot because its convenient for me with the number of flights a day to BNE and PEK and I like Star Alliance (generally book to Turkish for the easier status maintenance). I also do Korean regularly but not keen on Skyteam and they only have 4 flights a week to BNE so sometimes inconvenient, but I much prefer Korean food. Ive walked through KE J and thought I would mind trying that once I get enough points to do an upgrade. It feels more friendly than the SQ interior!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Now you said you flew SQ J before. Based on previous posts, it didn't seem so. All your statements seemed to allude you 'saw', or 'passed through', flew Y a lot.

But doesn't matter.

If your route is BNE-SIN-PEK then are you referring to SQ's 2-2-2 J layout?Then yea, I agree that it is not miles ahead of LH or CA or TK. In fact I would prefer TK over it.

But thought all along we had been discussing SQ's 1-2-1 box J seats since OP started with LHR-SIN route. If this you think is not much better than LH or CA then ..... I am speechless

And I still completely abhor narrow claustrophobic stagger seats - EK, EY, NH, OZ and numerous numerous others. Period .
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by KACommuter
I have not figured out why SQ and other Asian airlines with 6-7 hour redeye flights do not do as BA does across the Atlantic - run a sleeper service.
Makes a lot of sense ... IAD to West Europe is painful with a lot of ~6-7pm departures and local arrivals at ~6am while my body feels like it's ~midnight. Unless I'm flying F and can ask them to hurry the pace (and sometimes even flying F), I go right to sleep on these flights and eat breakfast in the arrival lounge.

OTOH, the IAD to IST and AUH flights are perfect at 10-12 hours and ~11pm departure. Just get 5-6 hours of sleep and I'll be ready to sleep again 6 hours after landing at midnight local time.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Ironically enough, the 6-7 intra asia redeyes on SIAs do have menus called 'sleeper' service.

Except all it does it lets you choose to either have dinner or breakfast and they still turn the lights on for the whole cabin...

I frequent on SQ603 and every time I get around 3 hours sleep max and the angled bed doesn't really help either.
+1. That sums it up nicely.

As another poster was asking about the do not disturb part. First, the A330 seat does not have a such a feature , but of course you can tell crew not to wake you and they won't. However, as a light sleeper it does not work for me even with ear plugs.

That aside, I did want to eat breakfast (more like my BTC meal served for breakfast), but they started the meal service just under 3hrs before touch down which I find ludicrous. 1.5 hours should be sufficient. They can even serve it all in one go if that is needed.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by demue
Quote:

+1. That sums it up nicely.

As another poster was asking about the do not disturb part. First, the A330 seat does not have a such a feature , but of course you can tell crew not to wake you and they won't. However, as a light sleeper it does not work for me even with ear plugs.

That aside, I did want to eat breakfast (more like my BTC meal served for breakfast), but they started the meal service just under 3hrs before touch down which I find ludicrous. 1.5 hours should be sufficient. They can even serve it all in one go if that is needed.
I would love to have zero-service sleeper service flights ex-India esp. It's esp crazy short ex-BLR (4 hrs) or worse MAA.

They serve food on dimmed cabin. But doesn't work for me. The smell still wafts from your neighboring seat. Now I follow my seat mate. He eats, I do too. If he skips, I skip. If empty seat next to me, I skip. No point me skipping and he/she eats. I do notice some ppl can sleep like a baby while the neighbour eats paneer curry. Not me for sure.

That's why I prefer the 1-2-1 ex-DEL and ex-BOM. A lot less disruption. I still don't sleep fully until after the service but it's as best as I can get.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:30 pm

Sure can cant you?
No i cant. I still need to sit down, sleep on it etc. to get a feeling.

Its not as though I haven't flown J or F before!
You clearly never mentioned it. Now i don't buy it. Sorry.

Ive flown J on SQ, CA, AF, EK, EY, KA, TK, AC, LH. If flying SQ J is you thing then great but if you are deluding yourself that they have a far superior product you should think again, its on a par with its competitors.
Then you should know it better. Most of above mentioned airlines having quite a variety of C-configurations, good ones and bad ones. Some of above Asian airlines are having also a regional C similar to the offering of SQ.

That SQs Regional C is not the best product in the industry, i agree. But it is a solid product that at least matches most competitions product.
SQs Long Haul C is IMHO unbeatable and certainly my preference.

Germans literally call LHs C-seat "slide", this seat is certainly not any better than SQs REGIONAL product.

Ive walked through KE J and thought I would mind trying that once I get enough points to do an upgrade. It feels more friendly than the SQ interior!
Here we are again

Last edited by SQ325; Dec 5, 2014 at 11:38 pm
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by SQueeze
I would love to have zero-service sleeper service flights ex-India esp. It's esp crazy short ex-BLR (4 hrs) or worse MAA.
As long as onboard meals are for free we wont see that, as much as i would like to see zero-service on above routes.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 12:20 am

I travel frequently on SQ in Y. I only do so as it is a convenient schedule. The main thing I like is most of the flights are half full which gives me room to stretch. Walking through J the product is average. The lounges are average, EK lounges a far superior. The frequent flyer program is one of the worst out there. Op ups are virtually non existent. I have had occasion to fly AC J and found it good, I have flown Emirates J and love it, I have flown Air China J and thought it very average. The reality is Singapore J is nothing special in hardware and lots of the ancilliaries are only average for what is a premium priced product.
No i cant. I still need to sit down, sleep on it etc. to get a feeling.

You clearly never mentioned it. Now i don't buy it. Sorry.

Then you should know it better. Most of above mentioned airlines having quite a variety of C-configurations, good ones and bad ones. Some of above Asian airlines are having also a regional C similar to the offering of SQ.

That SQs Regional C is not the best product in the industry, i agree. But it is a solid product that at least matches most competitions product.
SQs Long Haul C is IMHO unbeatable and certainly my preference.

Germans literally call LHs C-seat "slide", this seat is certainly not any better than SQs REGIONAL product.

Here we are again
Geminidreams's idea of unfriendly SQ seat is likely to be the regional C since his/her route is mainly BNE-SIN-PEK. This product , I agree, is not trendsetting.

Of all the airlines listed for comparison, yes, to much extent I agree that SQ Regional J is on par or even under some of those. For example, I think TK has better seats and the food is way way way more superb. In fact, I also still prefer AI J over SQ Regional J.

except for EK. EK's 2-3-2 is no way equal to or better than SQ's Regional J. I still cannot grasp why people compare EK with SQ in any of the cabins except First Class. Even I would rather be on 2-2-2 recliners rather than on stagger seats, let alone the 2-3-2. Every time I think of EK, I envision a big bus shuttling masses across continents. Every time I see EK flight arriving before me, gasp, I better rush to immigration before the massive queue building up. I don't envision/associate luxury or comfort with EK. It's a massive people mover with rock bottom prices. And yes, they have their own market and it's different than SQ's.

And the DXB business class lounge???? Far superior? Yes, in terms of size and brightness. But I thought it's big, sprawling, bright and crowded like a bus station. I don't associate it with luxury. I much prefer SQ's Terminal 3 SilverKris J class lounge anytime - much more calming and relaxing even when it's full.

And one should only judge and rank seats after the experience, not by walking through the cabin.

Mine (only tried and tested) is

J class: SQ (l.h)> TK > 9W > BR > AI > SQ (Reg) > TG > VN > LH > CM > EK
F class: SQ (suites) > LH (744) > SQ (77W) > TG > JJ (old)

Difference between SQ (l.h) and TK is massive.
Difference between SQ (suites) and LH (744) is borderline thin.

Last edited by SQueeze; Dec 6, 2014 at 1:06 am
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:01 am

Unfortunately a few passengers a usually ranting about such "limited" service. We had such rants here as well (Why not two meals on SIN-NRT?).
I can handle it pretty well and skip the meals. As i fly mainly red-eyes in the 4 to 7 hour range and i learned how to ato sleep in a full lighted up cabin. But i would prefer to have a dimmed cabin and more silence ,-)
Must be seriously "kiasu" customers or complete newbies to J. The sort who insist that they get what they paid for so they should have the champagne, satay, J class meals, wines...
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:07 am

As long as onboard meals are for free we wont see that, as much as i would like to see zero-service on above routes.
Why? Isn't it miraculous that BA, an old European airline with so-so hardware and software at best has managed to get this so right? SQ which many here regard as having the best H/W and S/W has failed to do this, and so have other good Asian carriers. It isn't as serious an issue with most other like CX, but is with SQ as it has many 6 hour redeye routes - BOM, DEL, PEK, NRT, HND etc.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by SQueeze
For example, I think TK has better seats and the food is way way way more superb.
But you should compare apples with apples. The A330 TK uses on SIN-IST is of course superior to the Regional J. SQ is using the 1-2-1 on the same route and i do not need to ask which is superior, do I?
TK has also still angeled biz seats in their Longhaul fleet. By the way, in Europe on 3hours+ TK uses Standard Y seats with blocked middle seat and sell that as biz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.