Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SG vs. UA Award Booking

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2014, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

SG vs. UA Award Booking

I have a ton of Chase UR points which I am intent on using to book for an SG A380 first/suite.

I usually book my Star Alliance awards through UA which is also a UR transfer partners. What I am mulling now is whether to transfer to UA and book through them, or just book through SG.
As I see it, the benefit with keeping everything with UA is that they would combined with my current MP balance and keep everything in one place if the trip falls through. The disadvantage is that UA tends to have horrendous availability with saver awards.
I have read that SG has a lot more award availability with the KF program directly, and they also have a booking discount (15%?) Would it then be safe to assume that going direct with SG is the better option
Old Nov 9, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium
SG vs. UA Award Booking

You will not be able to redeem for SQ Suites using UA miles. You will need to transfer and redeem through Krisflyer.

Note that Krisflyer also charges Fuel Surcharges on redemptions so expect to have to pay that. You are right that redeeming KF awards online will get you a 15% mileage discount. With the recent UA mileage chart devaluation, you may find that Krisflyer offers a better redemption rate.

You may also want to check availability before transferring miles to Krisflyer- you can do this online at singaporeair.com.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
Just a note: Singapore Airlines' code is SQ. I am fairly certain you weren't interested in comparing SpiceJet (SG) and United (UA).
Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Wait, this isn't the SpiceJet forum?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:55 am

Inter-Asia and certainly to the South Pacific, UA is a better option, with the lack of YQ. Note the 15% discount is only if you redeem on a 100% SQ operated award. Mix in a partner, and you pay the full price (and the same YQ)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.