SQ424 SIN-BOM Hit by turbulence

Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Post SQ424 SIN-BOM Hit by turbulence

SINGAPORE: Eight passengers and 14 crew members were injured on Saturday (Oct 18) when a Singapore Airlines (SIA) flight from Singapore to Mumbai was hit by turbulence on descent.

Full article
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:05 am

I enjoyed the comment by the passenger that the pilot didn't say anything until the end. No kidding, I'm kind of glad they were flying the plane and not taking a break to have a chat over the intercom.

On a serious note, glad that everyone appears to be mostly okay. It appears as though the injuries were not too serious. Though hard to tell for sure from the article.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
So we know at least 8 pax (probably a lot more) were not strapped in during descent... Hopefully this will get people thinking next time.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Damn that's why I always have my seatbelt on no matter what. Imagine sleeping on a flat bed not buckled in when that happened? OUCH!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
I felt sorry for the cabin crew who got tossed up and hit the overheard bins...goodness!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by aster
So we know at least 8 pax (probably a lot more) were not strapped in during descent... Hopefully this will get people thinking next time.
That is at best a stretch.

During the fatal UA turbulence on route to Japan, they main source of injury was flying material/equipment IIRC.

During one of SQ's Himalaya rodeo rides (FRA bound) and overhead went open and content bombed a passenger ... so you don't have to do anything wrong to be 'targeted'.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by weero
That is at best a stretch.

During the fatal UA turbulence on route to Japan, they main source of injury was flying material/equipment IIRC.

During one of SQ's Himalaya rodeo rides (FRA bound) and overhead went open and content bombed a passenger ... so you don't have to do anything wrong to be 'targeted'.
If it was during descent then I assume the seat-belt sign was on and the entire cabin wasn't still riddled with food trays, wine glasses, utensils, etc.

As for the overhead bin, that is often a scary thought. Whenever possible I try to pack all my stuff above my seat in a way that prevents further additions to be placed there (not in the entire bin - just the area above my seat), especially when seated by the aisle, so that I don't get someone cramming 40kg's worth of innocent cabin luggage right above me.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
If it was during descent then I assume the seat-belt sign was on and the entire cabin wasn't still riddled with food trays, wine glasses, utensils, etc.

As for the overhead bin, that is often a scary thought. Whenever possible I try to pack all my stuff above my seat in a way that prevents further additions to be placed there (not in the entire bin - just the area above my seat), especially when seated by the aisle, so that I don't get someone cramming 40kg's worth of innocent cabin luggage right above me.
I think having the facts may be useful.

1) We don't know the aircraft's exact location when the incident happened
2) We don't know if the descent was by the pilots with the approval of indian control at their request to go around bad weather and/or to duck bad weather
3) We don't know if the descent was initiated by indian control in the prelude to taking the aircraft down to a lower level for finals.

I could go on. Could also be the passengers injured were waiting to use the lavatories or simply removing items from bags/storing items back in their bags in anticipation of landing.

The world is not really all that round.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
If it was during descent then I assume the seat-belt sign was on and the entire cabin wasn't still riddled with food trays, wine glasses, utensils, etc..
Descent =/= final approach.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I wonder when the aircraft manufacturers will install a device that can tell when a passenger isn't wearing their seat belt.. if you can do it on cars, surely you can do it on a plane...

'Would the passenger seated in row 50K, please buckle up or else we won't take off and we will lose our take off slot window and that would mean a 60 minute delay.. and everyone else can then blame you when they miss their connections'

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.