Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Using Singapore Airline miles for United bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Singapore Airline miles for United bookings?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by aster
Just curious but where would you fit EY (in Y) in your ranking? I have a flight to BNE coming up and it will be my first time on EY so not sure to expect.
I haven't flown them ... ever. So I have no good prejudice yet.

But CX I have flown a decent bit these days and understand less and less why they are seen as on par with SQ. And that comes from someone who thinks that the SQ uniforms look annoying and the StarAlliance sucks. So I am inclined to see the good in OW carriers.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck
A bit off topic but does anybody know why UA earns 100% mileage to some *A FFPs even on the cheapest economy fare? (including SQ).

Maybe it's part of the benefits as a *A co-founder?
Well it doesn't work like that on founding member LH:
Code:
Economy Class
S, Y: 1.5 x distance; at least 750 miles
B, E, H, M: 1.0 x distance; at least 500 miles
L, W: 0.5 x distance; at least 250 miles
So it's more a UA thingie than a *A thingie.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by weero
I haven't flown them ... ever. So I have no good prejudice yet.

But CX I have flown a decent bit these days and understand less and less why they are seen as on par with SQ. And that comes from someone who thinks that the SQ uniforms look annoying and the StarAlliance sucks. So I am inclined to see the good in OW carriers.
Oh well, that puts us both in the same bucket with me going in head-first as the guinea pig in this experiment.

I too have defected from *A and that's been quite a feat considering most if not ALL of my flights involve either SIN or WAW.

Uniforms aside, and putting C redemptions on the back burner as well, I have to say that overall my best experiences have been with BA on the SIN-SYD route. If not for the fact that I'm sailing into Sydney this time and only require a one-way trip back to SIN, BA might have been the order of the day yet again (unfortunately like most carriers they went into "rip-off mode" as soon as I inquired about one-way travel...).
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
I too have defected from *A and that's been quite a feat considering most if not ALL of my flights involve either SIN or WAW.
Still love SQ, but we too have switched some US-Asia award flights to One World due to much better J class redemption availability - 4 CX flights, plus one JAL flight NYC-SIN versus one only on SQ, and great redemption deals with AA, Alaska and US Airways miles.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:36 am

..BA might have been the order of the day yet again (unfortunately like most carriers they went into "rip-off mode" as soon as I inquired about one-way travel...).
Interesting as Europe-bound, BA offers quite bearable one-way ride fares. Much unlike SQ or LH do.

BR started to offer decent PE fares .. but they are a tad far out of the way. So I am still hoping that SQ and LH will enter a decent duel with their new PE products.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:12 pm

By choice? Or a cost-cutting measure?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by SQ325
By choice? Or a cost-cutting measure?
I completely ditched SQ by choice, costs had nothing to do with it in fact.

SQ is managed by idiots. Until recently I wasn't even able to book a SIN-WAW ticket online with SQ even though both airports are *A hubs (and LO's web site allows to book such flights). I could book this trip (from SIN!) via LO, BA, LH, EK, QR, AY, AF, KL, you name it... but not SQ.

On the SIN-SYD route I did consider all fares and here BA came out tops by far. SQ wasn't even competitive and that's putting things mildly so to speak...

All I use SQ for nowadays are redemptions in biz using miles earned via CC spend. That's it. Even though I used to clock up lots of miles and had status with them in the past, I now have to admit that I steer well clear of SQ nowadays.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:31 am

..SQ is managed by idiots. Until recently I wasn't even able to book a SIN-WAW ticket online with SQ..
But they are recovering. Yes, the website is a slap in the face and SQ severing all interlines with LH and other *A carriers did not help to make Europe travel any nicer.

But fares have improved and I hope the Magnums become imperial guaranteed standard and hopefully the advent of PE will bring the so badly overdue changes.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:28 pm

But they are recovering. Yes, the website is a slap in the face and SQ severing all interlines with LH and other *A carriers did not help to make Europe travel any nicer.

But fares have improved and I hope the Magnums become imperial guaranteed standard and hopefully the advent of PE will bring the so badly overdue changes.
Wow, no more interlining? Good to know...

There's always 7-11 for a last-minute ice-cream if need be. As for PE, it'll be interesting to see how this pans out... SQ, LH, AY, LO, all going for PE in recent times like it's some sort of new trend...
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:12 am

Wow, no more interlining? Good to know...

There's always 7-11 for a last-minute ice-cream if need be. As for PE, it'll be interesting to see how this pans out... SQ, LH, AY, LO, all going for PE in recent times like it's some sort of new trend...
At least it is no longer offered.

DId you ever buy an icecream for consumption on the plane? The security folks @ Changi have debated with me that this was a "gel" and made me eat it on the spot .

PE is my new religion. Plus it has a tangible deity and quantifiable benefits which other cult can offer that?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:51 am

PE is my new religion. Plus it has a tangible deity and quantifiable benefits which other cult can offer that?
I agree, and although I'm not sure how this pans out on other carriers, it seems that the decent chances of a complimentary upgrade on BA from WT+ to Club make it even more worth it.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I wonder how much is PE in SQ in the future, probably 2x of Economy prices? And I guess it only makes sense to be installed on their long haul routes.

Last edited by lcpteck; Oct 31, 2014 at 6:11 am
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck
I wonder how much is PE in SQ in the future, probably 2x of Economy prices? And I guess it only makes sense to be installed on their long haul routes.
It depends whom they compete with.

CX uses it on midhauls as well but I guess that SQ's true nemesis are LH and BA. So yes, longhaul only. Modern metal only.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:53 am

I guess that SQ's true nemesis are LH and BA. So yes, longhaul only. Modern metal only.
Interesting, I always thought that EK were by far the main "enemy" at present?

That is if you look at the whole picture and not just filling seats on aircraft. Singapore's main economic focus is on tourism. Yeah, loosing pax to BA or LH might not be great but it still has them going through SIN. But EK has changed the game completely and is able to bypass SIN entirely. In fact they've gone a step further and have pulled QF into using DXB over SIN.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:43 pm

Interesting, I always thought that EK were by far the main "enemy" at present?..
True, I should have be more specific. LH and BA can be fought with traditional SQ strengths and measures. EK is an elusive enemy beyond the grasp of the legacies IMO.

But as much as I dislike EK myself, I love them as a phenomenon as grace to them the whole el cheapo family crowd and the backpackers are gone from LH (not so much from SQ, unfortunately) and prices got a lot more competitive.

So the more there is of EK, the fewer reasons I will ever have to fly them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.