Will the 772 ER's get the new J seats?

Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite
Will the 772 ER's get the new J seats?

Flying IST-SIN next March, would love to test the new seats that are currently being added to the 773 ER fleet, I am assuming the A380's will not be getting these?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
It seems unlikely. They've only announced plans to install the new seats on the rest of their 77W's.

The 772's will probably wait at least until the 77W's are completed at the end of 2016 before any work is done on them. However, given that they've much more recently been refitted with the long-haul/regional J products, it seems more likely that the A380's will get something new before the 772's do.

In sum, there's probably a very long wait until you see something new on the 772's. (Except perhaps the ones with the ancient recliner J seats.)
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:24 pm

Most of the 772ER have gone through retrofit just recently and not all have been refitted yet. If you look at the usual cycle, they would go for the next refurbishment in about 7 to 8 years, i would say that these aircraft would be phased out by then.

And, yes SQ announced that the A380 fleet will be retrofitted.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
As chisquared and SQ325 mentioned, several (not sure if all) of the 772ERs were outfitted with the fully flat business seat just a while ago when they replaced the angled flat "Raffles Class" seats (purple seat covers). It would be an utter waste to now rip out those ones and replace them with the latest version of that fully flat seat that is in the new 773ERs (WN version). Not going to happen and I agree that most likely these birds will be retried from SQ fleet before getting refitted again.

Honestly, as long as it is the fully flat seat I think it is fine and the improvement with the latest seat is more evolutionary. Not really hardship. YMMV.

Last edited by demue; Oct 1, 2014 at 12:14 am
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by demue
As SQ325 mentioned
Hey, that's pretty much what I said too
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for your tips, I'm flying SQ for the first time in November, so excited :-D
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:33 am

Enjoy! I've yet to experience the new J, but from what I've read, it's not that much better than the old long-haul J. As long as you're on a flight with that, you should have a great time.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by chisquared
Hey, that's pretty much what I said too
Okay lah, you are right. Updated the post to give due credit
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:25 am

^
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:17 am

Cheers!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:08 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by chisquared
Enjoy! I've yet to experience the new J, but from what I've read, it's not that much better than the old long-haul J. As long as you're on a flight with that, you should have a great time.
Well , overall I prefer the ' old ' J . Seems like some superficial improvements & perhaps worse where enhancements would have helped . Harder product , e . g . the seat needs more padding / cushioning as with the arm rests .
Couldn ' t really get comfortable in sleeping position
Had so much hope ..
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
Flying IST-SIN next March, would love to test the new seats that are currently being added to the 773 ER fleet, I am assuming the A380's will not be getting these?
What is the current seat like on the IST route (and are we looking at a 1-2-1 or 2-2-2 layout?) and how does it compare to the J seat on the 77W (the one before the most recent upgrade)?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aster
What is the current seat like on the IST route (and are we looking at a 1-2-1 or 2-2-2 layout?) and how does it compare to the J seat on the 77W (the one before the most recent upgrade)?
According to the seat map it is 1-2-1 and similar to the seat currently equipped on the A380's but not all 772's have this config, only the ones they send to Europe I believe.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
Just did SIN-IST last week in J. It was 2-2-2 with the purple Spacebeds. Had a pair of seats to myself, and slept for a good 8 out of 11 hours. So not complaining. Apparently its a mix of the new J and old J on the IST route.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by dfs24
Just did SIN-IST last week in J. It was 2-2-2 with the purple Spacebeds. Had a pair of seats to myself, and slept for a good 8 out of 11 hours. So not complaining. Apparently its a mix of the new J and old J on the IST route.
Honestly I agree. Flew the space beds once, cant complain either. Slept well. Even that i prefer the full flat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.