Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas carols in September

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:03 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Christmas carols in September

It seems that the Christmas madness in Singapore has started.
Our national airlines think it is a good idea to have Christmas carols playing after landing from mid September.

I now have had a HND-SIN, SIN-DAC, MUM-SIN and SIN-MEL since the carols were introduced. 3 more months of this madness.

Last edited by JohnSIN; Sep 29, 2014 at 4:01 am
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Oh no, glad the majority of my flights are not on SQ in the near future.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by JohnSIN
It seems that the Christmas madness in Singapore has started.
Our national airlines think it is a good idea to have Christmas carols playing after landing from mid September.

I now have had a HND-SIN, SIN-DAC, MUM-SIN and SIN-MEL since the carols were introduced. 3 more months of this madness.
How disrespectful of Diwali and Halloween in between!

Does SQ bring out Easter eggs before Chinese New Year too?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
How disrespectful of Diwali and Halloween in between!

Does SQ bring out Easter eggs before Chinese New Year too?
Excellent idea carrotjuice, I shall ask the CSD for the easter egg.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
I look so forward to that...
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
The local take on Christmas is all about "buy, buy, buy," "spend, spend, spend." This is why it lasts for 4 months. Otherwise it would be celebrated for approx. 4 days. Just kidding...

Having said that it really is nice when Christmas comes to Singapore and I always look forward to it. There's something magical about it and all the effort into making it special really shows.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:47 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by aster
The local take on Christmas is all about "buy, buy, buy," "spend, spend, spend." This is why it lasts for 4 months. Otherwise it would be celebrated for approx. 4 days. Just kidding...

Having said that it really is nice when Christmas comes to Singapore and I always look forward to it. There's something magical about it and all the effort into making it special really shows.
Sure seems like it .

Look forward too , where it is not merely ' happy holidays ' but more ' joy to the world ' .. & not 12 days of CHRISTmas
Thankfully , no carols on LHR / HKG flights we were just on .

Some cities have CHRISTmas in July / August celebrations
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: SQ, NH, OZ, GA
what i noted recently is that they loved to play "You Raise Me Up" and certain other songs. I'm bored. I've been to 8 SQ flights within the last two weeks.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by w_tanoto
what i noted recently is that they loved to play "You Raise Me Up" and certain other songs. I'm bored. I've been to 8 SQ flights within the last two weeks.
Just did 4 sectors this month and fortunately no Christmas songs.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Just completed an SQ2 SIN-HKG on Friday and SQ865 HKG-SIN yesterday.
Christmas carols as boarding music and after landing on both flights.

Asked the cabin crew if they had loaded the Easter eggs already and after a more lengthy explanation, was told that they were really sorry, they had passed on the feedback to HQ but it was not easy to change because they needed help from Panasonic and the Engineers (Santa is apparently not involved).

The gentleman admitted that it was tough for the crew too, who have to build in this ability to no go crazy listening to this for 3 months.

The upside of my raising the issue prompted excellent service recovery and generous wine top ups for the rest of the flight. So now I know what I need to do to get that Christmassy feeling again.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
So now I know what I need to do to get that Christmassy feeling again.
:-: @:-) ^ That's the spirit!

No sign of Christmas in Singapore yet - I think everything kicks-off when shopping malls race to build the biggest X-mas tree around and out-do or rather out-"wow" their competitors.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:44 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I could completely understand carols being played on the MNL route, as Christmas festivities start in Philippines in September (the worlds longest Christmas several locals have told me). But other routes .... maybe not so much.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 5:56 am

Cannot believe Christmas is already on some people's mind when Deepavali / Diwali 2014 is still not yet even over.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by aster
No sign of Christmas in Singapore yet - I think everything kicks-off when shopping malls race to build the biggest X-mas tree around and out-do or rather out-"wow" their competitors.
This happens normally after the Deepavali decorations in Little India are brought down. Singapore is multi cultural after all, good to be 'respectful'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.