SIN-LHR-SIN Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:26 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
SIN-LHR-SIN Questions

Hi all,

I am currently planning a honeymoon trip to LHR next June and will be making a redemption booking in the next few days. I have a few questions about J class:

1) As this will be my first time sitting in J class, I am tempted to try out the new business class seats on SQ318/319. Question is..should I try the A380 business class seats too or should I just stick to the 77W seats?

2) If the answer to Q1 is Yes, try both A380 and 77W, which one would you sit first? A380 to LHR and 77W to SIN or the other way?

3) Given that I have no preference on the timings, which flights to and back from LHR would you choose? (I think i have seen some discussion on this before but I can't seem to find the thread, so if it's been discussed, please point out to me.)

4) If you are a couple travelling on J class, would you book 11A & 11D or 11D & 11F or 11F & 11K (assuming it's the 77W flight)?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by gummibar; Aug 19, 2014 at 8:25 pm
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: SQ, NH, OZ, GA
IMO, getting 77WN is like a lottery. I believe they only have 3 aircrafts for 77WN type. I monitored NRT flights, and sometimes they downgrade it to 77W or even rarely (but it happens) to 773, but LHR is pretty much safe from getting 773. (77W is the same as 388 - same layout as well 1-2-1)

I would choose SQ308 or SQ318 for outbound and SQ319 and SQ321 inbound. I would avoid at all cost SQ317.
SQ318 is the best since you won't get breakfast. It will be lunch and dinner.

I can't advice you on point 4. You decide it yourself.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: BA
I tried the new 777 seats back in October and they were a small improvement over the A380, but regardless of the actual plane generically SQ's longhaul business class is a gppd superwide seat (albeit one I found a little hard). The mini cabin at the front of the 777/A380 makes more of a difference I think. I sat in 11A last time and it was a great seat with a little more legroom and great service from the crew. Galley noise not an issue (but YMMV). Pick the times that work best fro you (and have redemption availability!)

If I were travelling as a couple on a day flight I'd probably go for the middle pair, since it's marginally better to talk to each other over the divider than across the aisle, but it really comes down to preference for window seats and whether or not the service will be aligned across the aisles (i.e. will you and your new spouse be served the same courses at the same times etc or not).
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:15 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Many thanks for your insightful replies! I also agree with w_tanoto that Ex SIN best flights would be SQ308 or SQ318! I am lucky enough to bag a redemption flight on SQ318 on 3 Jun, surprisingly, it's the only flight (out of the four) that isn't on waitlist for Business saver. For the return on 20 Jun, i am currently on waitlist for SQ319. SQ321 on the other hand is not available for Business saver...even though the flight is awfully empty at this moment. Looks like i won't have a chance to try the 388 J class.

On the note about the middle pair seats. I noticed from photos that for 77WN middle pair, due to the design of the new business class seat, it doesn't seem to encourage / allow couples interacting (if they are on those seats). Compare that with A388 seats which have less of a barrier between the seats. Am i right to say that the new seats are more "private" compared to the A388 seats?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:44 am

SQ321 is very popular, I assume with businessmen wanting to travel to SG after their workday.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by gummibar
Hi all,

I am currently planning a honeymoon trip to LHR next June and will be making a redemption booking in the next few days. I have a few questions about J class:

1) As this will be my first time sitting in J class, I am tempted to try out the new business class seats on SQ318/319. Question is..should I try the A380 business class seats too or should I just stick to the 77W seats?

2) If the answer to Q1 is Yes, try both A380 and 77W, which one would you sit first? A380 to LHR and 77W to SIN or the other way?

3) Given that I have no preference on the timings, which flights to and back from LHR would you choose? (I think i have seen some discussion on this before but I can't seem to find the thread, so if it's been discussed, please point out to me.)

4) If you are a couple travelling on J class, would you book 11A & 11D or 11D & 11F or 11F & 11K (assuming it's the 77W flight)?

Many thanks in advance!
(2) Dependent on what is available since this is such a popular route.

(3) Yes, this has been discussed but I cannot find the thread either. Essentially I agree with w_tanoto on the flights he suggested. As you can tell from my nick, which flight I prefer. As a tourist, I would take the 9AM flight out and the 10PM flight back to maximise my time in London.

(4) I prefer the A/C and the F/K arrangements, cuz of the window seat.

Are you only going to London? If you are travelling around Europe, you might also want to consider the A380 service out of CDG or FRA as well??
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:29 am

I typically find the A380 J seats a shade narrower than the 77W, though enjoy the quietness of the A380.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by w_tanoto
I would choose SQ308 or SQ318 for outbound and SQ319 and SQ321 inbound. I would avoid at all cost SQ317.
SQ318 is the best since you won't get breakfast. It will be lunch and dinner.

I can't advice you on point 4. You decide it yourself.
Interesting, though I would never, ever take one flight over another just to get a different tray food meal (lunch over breakfast).

For the outbound the OP needs to decide on whether to take a day flight (you can relax and nap of course) and end up in London that same afternoon, or whether a night flight is preferable so that arrival will be in the morning (and a long night's sleep will shorten the journey considerably).

My opinion on the outbound:
0905/1530 SQ308 - Great schedule, you leave in the morning and arrive in London to still enjoy the latter part of the day. Good way to evade jet lag too. The last time I took this flight, business class was virtually empty. Very enjoyable experience (unless you happen to be a SQ accountant).
1245/1905 SQ318 - The one to AVOID. If you're going to take a day flight, take the previous one and arrive in London at a sensible time. This one unfortunately flies in after 7pm, so by the time you get your luggage, transport yourself to your hotel, check-in, freshen up, you will have wasted most of that day and will be scrambling for very late dinner...
2330/0555+1 SQ322 - One of two night flight options, good timing to enjoy the lounge, have some food pre-flight, and then have some fun mid-air before calling it a night and arriving in London at 6am.
0110/0735 SQ306 - Same as above, useful if you want to arrive in London 1.5 hrs later rather than at 6am.

And the inbound:

1130/0720+1 SQ317 - The one to AVOID. Two words: too early... especially since there is another flight 2 hrs down the road. On the way back there is no rush to land back home at 7:20am. Plus you might want to do a little shopping at Heathrow, grab a meal and have a few last drinks in a pub-style atmosphere, etc.
1335/0925+1 SQ305 - Perfect timing to check-out of your hotel and head to Heathrow for this flight. My favourite flight from LHR to SIN.
2040/1630+1 SQ319 - One of two night flight options, and I think this is the better one by far. Great timing if you'd still like to do some last-minute shopping or dining in London on your last day without rushing to be at the airport by noon. 8:40pm take-off gives you plenty of time to both get things done in the city, enjoy Heathrow, have fun onboard and get a good night's sleep before landing at 16:30.
2205/1755+1 SQ321 - Second of the night flights, but the timing is worse imo. Since you'll be checking out that day there really is no reason to push the departure time to 10pm.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
No, no, no when it comes to 11A+D or F+K.

Either take 11D+F (both middle seats) and sit together, or take 11A & 12A to have the entire left side of the mini-cabin to yourselves @:-) (plus both of you will have window seats). I think this is a better setup than being split up on both sides of the aisle, not to mention risking someone sitting next to you in the middle section.

In fact when my parents fly together I always get them 11A+12A and they love it this way.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:28 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks for all the great replies again!! Just to check and confirm.. So far, am I right to say that the new business class seats aka 77WN is serving SQ318 and SQ319?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:49 pm

I tend to agree with the assessment of aster in the above post.

Another consideration - if rushing out of the airport is important to you - is whether you'd be arriving at the same time as many other flights into the destination, if so you may be "stuck" a long while at immigration.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:08 pm

Thanks for all the great replies again!! Just to check and confirm.. So far, am I right to say that the new business class seats aka 77WN is serving SQ318 and SQ319?
SQ318 and SQ319 is served by the new 77W (subject to equipment changes though, if one of the 77W goes tech or whatever other reason).

SQ308 is served by an A380.

Last edited by SQ319; Aug 24, 2014 at 9:50 pm Reason: Typo error
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by SQ319
SQ308 and SQ319 is served by the new 77W (subject to equipment changes though, if one of the 77W goes tech or whatever other reason).

SQ318 is served by an A380.
Isn't that the other way around?

SQ308 should be on the A380 with SQ318 on the 77W.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:50 pm

You're right. I typed too quickly and didn't proof read.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
FYI , SQ 308 was very full y ' day in FS & J .
Was rather surprised too .
Still T 3
Fast track had long queue , few other arrivals .

Think with increase in codeshares & * partners , closer to capacity flights more a norm these days ..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.