Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Flights: Fuel Surcharge estimator?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2014, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Award Flights: Fuel Surcharge estimator?

Hey folks,

I'm new to redeeming or at least exploring SQ awards.

Does anyone have a list of common fuel surcharges for flights or have any idea how they're calculated.

A recent RT flight from the US priced out with over $400 in surcharges!

Is there any option to pay for the fuel surcharge w miles?
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Hey folks,

Does anyone have a list of common fuel surcharges for flights or have any idea how they're calculated.

Book a revenue flight and check your extras (taxes, fuel surchage etc) cos that's what you'll be paying. No way to pay for your FS with miles.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Book a revenue flight and check your extras (taxes, fuel surchage etc) cos that's what you'll be paying. No way to pay for your FS with miles.
Yup that's one way - but SQ doesn't have that many flights - if someone has a list of common surcharges for the common routes it'd be really useful!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 2:22 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Yup that's one way - but SQ doesn't have that many flights - if someone has a list of common surcharges for the common routes it'd be really useful!
That would be one VERY BIG, LONG list
Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:50 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Hey folks,

Why don't you just make a redemption booking. You will be able to see the charges you need yo pay in cash.

FYI, I booked business class trip from SIN to KIX on TG and I have to pay almost USD400 for the charges.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by vbroucek
That would be one VERY BIG, LONG list
Very long indeed! But I am sure the fuel surcharges, are charged on a zonal or regional basis.

In any event it is only two clicks to get surcharge information, first get a (commercial fare) quote on the desired city pair/cabin and then on the fare quote screen click "view fare breakdown". The surcharge and tax information is listed there - no need to bother going through all the way to make an award booking to find the info out.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 1:44 pm

You could use ITA Matrix to find the commercial flight and view the fare breakdown. I'm not sure how accurate it is but it was spot on for my most recent redemption
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by blahter
You could use ITA Matrix to find the commercial flight and view the fare breakdown. I'm not sure how accurate it is but it was spot on for my most recent redemption
I just booked Singapore Airlines awards using KrisFlyer miles. I booked first class awards from PVG-SIN-AKL and the total YQ taxes came out to 382 SGD on the Singapore Airlines site.

However, on ITA matrix for the same exact route and day, the total YQ taxes show 297 SGD. Is there a discrepancy on ITA matrix or Singapore Airlines when it comes to calculating YQ? Thanks!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by jglenn16
I just booked Singapore Airlines awards using KrisFlyer miles. I booked first class awards from PVG-SIN-AKL and the total YQ taxes came out to 382 SGD on the Singapore Airlines site.

However, on ITA matrix for the same exact route and day, the total YQ taxes show 297 SGD. Is there a discrepancy on ITA matrix or Singapore Airlines when it comes to calculating YQ? Thanks!
You are aware YQ (airport tax I pressume) is always fluctuated due to exchange rate right. This is why airlines is quite reluctant to quote full price.

But in your case I have to agree this is more than just exchange rate fluctuation
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:52 pm

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso

Does it really matter? You got a Suites ticket for ~$400
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:37 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold

Award tickets will get charged Airport & Govt Taxes as well as YQ.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by WLG Base
Award tickets will get charged Airport & Govt Taxes as well as YQ.
The price quotes I provided for both SQ and ITA matrix were only comparing YQ (fuel surcharges). However, this is the breakout with the airport & government taxes:

Singapore Airlines Receipt (in SGD):
YQ 382.6
YQ 12.8
SG 9
OO 3
CN 19
KK 19.5
Total 445.9 SGD

ITA Matrix in SGD:
(YQ) 256.6
(YQ) 12.8
Singapore Passenger Service Charge (SG) 9
Singapore Passenger Security Service Charge (OO) 3
People's Republic of China Airport Fee (CN) 19
New Zealand Passenger Service Charge (KK) 19.5
Total 319.9 SGD

Everything matches except the first YQ charge.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:42 pm

SQ will charge different YQ depending on the point of sale. If you set the POS to USA on ITA that may explain it. YQ is the highest with SIN being the PoS.

I was booking an award from SIN to ICN on OZ miles, and there was a $100 + difference between getting the ticket issued in ICN or SIN for the exact same single flight.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
How do you get a ticket issued somewhere else??
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by elleana
How do you get a ticket issued somewhere else??
Buy it outside of Singapore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.