Wiki Posts
Search

"Sharing" Business Class Seats

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
"Sharing" Business Class Seats

In November, I'm flying with my family from San Francisco to Hong Kong on SQ as a part of my spouse's business trip. I have a coach class ticket, as do my 2 children (6 and 4 yrs old). If my spouse buys a business class ticket (paid for by her company), will they allow me to switch with her during the flight? My thought was that she would take the first half of the flight and then we would switch seats part way through.

Does anyone have experience doing this? Or can you share if the airline steward will prevent us from doing this? Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by huicity
Does anyone have experience doing this? Or can you share if the airline steward will prevent us from doing this? Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Search is your friend- has been discussed here several times. The answer depends on personal view... I personally am against it - one should sit where his seat is and not to try to share benefits of better seat/service/food... It is called cheating in my books...
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:06 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I don't think it should be called cheating, I mean it's not like two biz seats will be taken up at any time, nor will two biz meals be served. Someone simply wants to change 1/2-way through the flight, probably more to do with taking care of the kids.

Now if the company is willing to pay the cost of 1 pax in C then why not take advantage of this?

Not sure what the airline's pov is with regards to this, but I don't think the op is asking for something they shouldn't be.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
I'm not too sure if SQ allows this, but no harm in asking. Just never do a "act first and ask later", it will just be embarrassing to both FA and your wife later if they say you need to sit at assigned sits.

I only seen this happened once onboard a KLM flight, where the FA said it was against company policy, but she will make an exception so that the parents can take turn looking after the child.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
SQ usually does not allow switching of seats mid-way through a flight. You can do it before the plane takes off but no switches allowed mid-way. But YMMV
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
It sounds like you'll have better luck saying you need to switch to take turns taking care of your children, rather than switching for the sake of switching.

The former just might be enough to convince an in-flight supervisor to let you make the switch.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Are you flying round trip.? Perhaps one way each start to finish might work better...
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
This has been debated quite a number of times. Allowable or not - some people think it's a cheap and tasteless thing to do, while others don't really mind. I'm largely indifferent - but opinions would vary, really...
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: BA
What does your spouse's company have to say on the matter? They're forking out for business class for a reason, i.e. so she can arrive ready to work effectively and is not worn out from travelling long-haul in Economy. I know the company I work for would take a very dim view if they paid for Business class for me only to find out that I was sitting in Economy for some of the flight. If the OP really wants to sit in Business then pay for business.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Given the flight leaves around midnight, the question should be ... are you game enough to wake your wife half way through the flight to swap seats, when she is fast asleep already in the lie flat seats?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:24 am

You had bought a Y ticket for yourself and children, so stick to it.

Like the other poster says, waking up your J spouse halfway through is cruel and in the end your spouse may not get enough sleep for work - first the unsettled anticipation of being woken up mid flight, and then having to take care of the children after being woken up.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
do what you want to do just don' get caught
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Given the flight leaves around midnight, the question should be ... are you game enough to wake your wife half way through the flight to swap seats, when she is fast asleep already in the lie flat seats?
This. I'd be sleeping on the couch for the rest of the trip...
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by paulyras
This. I'd be sleeping on the couch for the rest of the trip...
thats really ballsy. I dont know if i would be comfortable doing that
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: KF, SPG, UR,...
While I can comprehend the opinions of those who are absolutely disgusted by your question alone, I would say just do it and see if the FA has the guts to tell you otherwise. You or your wife could also make a quick comment to one of the FA's in passing to give them a heads up. I say quick because you don't want to give them a chance to say no. I say comment because you want it to be a statement not a question.

You're a paying customer and it doesn't affect anyone else except your family and perhaps what name the FA will address the person occupying the seat.

Now if by "Sharing" you meant stick your 4 and 6 year old in the same business class seat I would be disgusted by your question as well.

Just thought I'd add my perspective since no other poster so far seems to share it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.