Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SIA Higher cost compared to other premium airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIA Higher cost compared to other premium airlines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:58 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by anaidross
..The cut of kabayas, as well as the cheong sums, are meant to flatter the woman's figure without having to show flesh, unlike bikinis or mini shirts.

These traditional costumes have absolutely nothing to do with oversex.
So which of the two is it? They flatter her curves or they are not sexed costumes ?
Originally Posted by bluegreentravel
^^^ Agreed. Something would always be sexual to those who wish it to be...
Ah - so you get a kick out of it but don't like it to be mentioned ...
Originally Posted by AddictedTraveller
This thread has taken an interesting turn in conversation!
I agree ... for me it is still hard to comprehend how prudery in words can be so boldly embraced whereas prudery in dressing isn't .. within the very same culture.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by weero
So which of the two is it? They flatter her curves or they are not sexed costumes ?
So a well cut Hugo Boss suit is also over-sexed?

Over-sex is something sleezy in my dictionary.

I just cannot understand how someone can see a traditional costume that is also worn by old grandmothers could be oversexed by any length.

Keep in mind, the kabayas worn by the SQ girls are not even sheer. The SQ girls do look good in the kabayas. But that does not make the kabaya oversexed. For instance, many girls look good in their school uniform. Is the school uniform oversexed then? Absolutely no logic.

So I am certainly not being prudish. I simply cannot understand the "oversexed" logic and want to question it.

My take:

If one finds traditional costumes commonly worn by women of all ages from a particular race / region (such as ao dia, cheongsams, dirndls, pollera, saris or kabayas) to be oversexed, that person is obviously either too overly conservative or too overly imaginative or still in the midst of puberty.

Last edited by anaidross; Aug 26, 2014 at 5:27 pm
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Club, HHonors Diamond
Thumbs up

My take:

If one finds traditional costumes commonly worn by women of all ages from a particular race / region (such as ao dia, cheongsams, dirndls, pollera, saris or kabayas) to be oversexed, that person is obviously either too overly conservative or too overly imaginative or still in the midst of puberty.[/QUOTE]

It could not have said it better in any way. Hear hear!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:35 pm

So a well cut Hugo Boss suit is also over-sexed?

Over-sex is something sleezy in my dictionary.
I haven't seen the suit, so how would I know? And is 'sleazy' something desirable in a uniform to you or not? I appears that you use a very different metric than I do.
I just cannot understand how someone can see a traditional costume that is also worn by old grandmothers could be oversexed by any length.
I have never seen a grandmother in an SQ uniform. And I also have zero experience with what that kebab thingie you keep talking about is coming from. I am talking solely about the uniform.
For instance, many girls look good in their school uniform. Is the school uniform oversexed then? Absolutely no logic.
That is indeed an interesting point. As a continental European school uniforms are quite taboo for me and many Europeans despise them because they think that it puts the girls on display and makes them vulnerable. Being of that culture, I share that sentiment. But that strays too much off topic.

In this context and for adults only your statement is moot. Not all uniforms are oversexed, most aren't. Even good looking ones are not. See the Scoot example.
If one finds traditional costumes commonly worn by women of all ages from a particular race / region (such as ao dia, cheongsams, dirndls, pollera, saris or kabayas) to be oversexed, that person is obviously either too overly conservative or too overly imaginative or still in the midst of puberty.
Perhaps. I'd rather say that Singapore's government mandated cut off from nudity and erotic imagery explains the false dichotomy on the subject displayed here. There is a reason why uniforms - including the above mentioned ones - play such a broad role in erotic imagery.
And yes, the Dirndl is absolutely a traditional and oversexed dress - heck the German slang word for prostitute is derived from that dress!!!

But back on track, the specific uniforms in question - not some dresses you know and I don't - the bolt-on curves, the tons of make up (mandated), the flimsy open shoes which fly in the face of airline safety. If that's not eroticized for you, I rest my case. Then it is all cultural difference and not more.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:37 am

My take:

Please allow me to add a few further words in red to my original comment above for clarity purposes:

If one finds any uniform styled closely after traditional costumes commonly worn by women of all ages from a particular race / region (such as ao dia, cheongsams, dirndls, pollera, saris or kabayas) to be oversexed, that person is obviously either too overly conservative or too overly imaginative or still in the midst of puberty or sick in mind.

As a continental European school uniforms are quite taboo for me and many Europeans despise them because they think that it puts the girls on display and makes them vulnerable. Being of that culture, I share that sentiment.
:
And yes, the Dirndl is absolutely a traditional and oversexed dress - heck the German slang word for prostitute is derived from that dress!!!

Need I say more? I too rest my case.

Last edited by anaidross; Aug 27, 2014 at 2:13 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
So...... is the costume worn by FA, the justification for higher prices?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by lighthand
So...... is the costume worn by FA, the justification for higher prices?
QED in this thread.
..Need I say more? I too rest my case.
With the not so subtle difference that you don't have a case. All you have done is upgraded your false trichotomy into an equally false plychotomy, after it had been refuted.

Case in point:
If one finds any uniform styled closely after traditional costumes commonly worn by women..
Result from LEO German-English dictionary .

So your argument by assertion is based on both the false assumption that 'traditional' somehow warrants 'decent', followed by the unsupported conclusion that anyone who disagrees with you -> pick from 5 invectives.

Would be nice to hear an argument en lieu of tantrums for a change.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
[QUOTE]
QED in this thread.
Em.. Pardon my (Extremely) poor Latin, but I don't understand the use of: ("this proof completely" in this thread.)
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:19 pm

QED in this thread.
So your argument by assertion is based on both the false assumption that 'traditional' somehow warrants 'decent', followed by the unsupported conclusion that anyone who disagrees with you -> pick from 5 invectives.
Firstly, my definition for the costume is much broader than “traditional”. Have a look again at what you attempted to quote.

Secondly, it is “4” and not “5” invectives (in your words). Count again with your other free hand.

Thirdly, those are not invectives. They are my frank opinions of those who find school uniforms, dirndls and kabayas to be oversexed.

Would be nice to hear an argument en lieu of tantrums for a change.
After learning that you find school uniform to be oversexed too, I knew that I do not have a chance. That is why I rested my case because it is not possible convince such types. At no time did I bother putting up any argument thereafter.

Anyway, according to Wiki, the German word "Dirne" is supposed to mean "young unmarried ladies" (still used today in South East Germany and Austria for this purpose) which became a dubious description for "prostitutes".

I do not read that "Dirne" has anything to do with the dress "Dirndl". ANother over imaginative situation with costumes / uniform perhaps .

Naja, as mentioned, no point convincing those types who even find school uniform to be oversexed. So let me save my breath.

[QUOTE=lighthand;23432644]
Em.. Pardon my (Extremely) poor Latin, but I don't understand the use of: ("this proof completely" in this thread.)
Count yourself lucky if that is the only thing you did not understand from weero.

Last edited by anaidross; Aug 27, 2014 at 4:15 pm Reason: Changed last word to "weero" from "that man" as I am not sure if person is actually a man.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:10 am

Firstly, my definition for the costume is much broader than “traditional”. Have a look again at what you attempted to quote.

Secondly, it is “4” and not “5” invectives..
Oh so you do want to limit your defence to that particular quote (the one counting 4 invectives alone) .. but then your justification is fairly narrow.

I also don't see how these traditional dresses depend on "your definition" and how that would salvage their dignity. It sounds like a clumsy attempt to justify your previous statements with politically correct obfuscation.
Thirdly, those are not invectives. They are my frank opinions..
How is that even remotely a contradiction? If I posted my opinion of those who find the SQ dresses 'elegant' or 'stylish' here, I'd post the earliest again in a month from now.
..of those who find school uniforms, dirndls and kabayas to be oversexed.
I am not going to defend statements I haven't made.
After learning that you find school uniform to be oversexed too, I knew that I do not have a chance. That is why I rested my case because it is not possible convince such types.
Don't worry, you didn't even learn this. You won't be able to point out that and where I purportedly wrote such a thing.
At no time did I bother putting up any argument thereafter.
Actually no, now you try to kinda defend your statements, not so much before.
Anyway, according to Wiki, the German word "Dirne" is supposed to mean "young unmarried ladies" (still used today in South East Germany and Austria for this purpose)...
Hahaha! I urge you to try this anywhere in Southern Germany and check if you get away with stitches only.

I can't even find an obsolete source for your claim - de.wikipedia.org clearly states that the term is only used for 'prostitute' in all dialects... but hey, feel free to defend the dirndle as elegant and timeless, suitable for older women as well!
..I do not read that "Dirne" has anything to do with the dress "Dirndl". ANother over imaginative situation with costumes / uniform perhaps .
Unsurprising given the quality of your research so far.

Took me about 15 seconds to establish the identity of the terminolgy:here.

May I also add that it is stilly to argue with an original German speaker about the proper use of German?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:30 pm

Oh so you do want to limit your defence to that particular quote (the one counting 4 invectives alone) .. but then your justification is fairly narrow.
For someone who cannot count properly…
Don't worry, you didn't even learn this. You won't be able to point out that and where I purportedly wrote such a thing.
For someone cannot remember properly…

I can't even find an obsolete source for your claim - de.wikipedia.org clearly states that the term is only used for 'prostitute' in all dialects...
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirne

For someone who cannot search properly...

May I also add that it is stilly to argue with an original German speaker about the proper use of German?
Wow, one gift at least...

So who says God is not fair.

In any case, to me it still like of playing piano to a cow (“对牛弹琴”).
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:48 pm

For someone cannot remember properly…
Indeed - you really should point me to the passage where I claimed such a thing:
..After learning that you find school uniform to be oversexed too, I knew that I do not have a chance..
So do you remember where I said such a thing? Or will you keep playing the dyslexic when confronted with actual questions or arguments?
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirne

For someone who cannot search properly...
:quadruple-facepalm:

Your link supports exactly what I said. Priceless and shameless!
So who says God is not fair.
You plan on sinking your public embarrassment in OMNI-PR?
In any case, to me it still like of playing piano to a cow
What kind of sentence was that ???
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Ladies & Gents,

Let's all be nice and polite.

Thank you.

Cheers!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by lighthand
Ladies & Gents,

Let's all be nice and polite.

Thank you.

Cheers!
Okokok ... will try.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:46 am

The women's willingness to wear these traditional costumes (including Dirndl and Kabaya) and their men's (yes, their men must be involved unfortunately) willingness to allow their own ladies to wear and to accept these traditional costumes, are the best testaments that these costumes are not over-sexed.

At least the case of Dirndl and Kabaya, the ladies of all ages are wearing these traditional dresses not just for honest / decent work (i.e. not just as a uniform but also as a common working dress in the fields and farms), for going out and for religious festivals. They are also dresses for formal occasions, like family wedding and funeral (including own funeral (i.e. buried wearing it)).

Had these dresses been remotely over-sexed, the men will not even allow their own ladies (i.e. their own wives, daughters (especially them), sisters, mothers, grandmothers and granddaughters) to wear these dresses. Afterall, men do have the highest decency standards when it comes to the dresses their own ladies wear.

These testaments are certainly more credible than the claim of a continental European, who even finds schoolgirls' uniform to be taboo as they are considered to be oversexed for him too.

As aptly mentioned by bluegreentravel, “something would always be sexual to those who wish it to be”.

For a purported well-travelled adult to claim that traditional dresses, like Drindl and Kabaya, are “over-sexed”, ought to have the mind checked.

The perverted claim not only insults the culture of the ladies wearing these traditional dresses because they are proud of their heritage. It also degrades these ladies.

Last edited by anaidross; Aug 31, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.