Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

How long until Krisflyer becomes devaluated ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long until Krisflyer becomes devaluated ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by w_tanoto
However considering SQ's profit took plunge in Q1, let's hope they don't do that. Otherwise, I would consider moving to Asiana's programme or even aegean (negative: no tier bonus - my only reason of staying with SQ).
Yeah, well they did have that issue with the web site.

Even I have stopped flying SQ on non-redemption flights, and I used to be SQ Gold for a long time. The two main reasons are ridiculous prices compared to competing airlines like BA and by far the worst FFP from a family perspective. Until that changes, SQ will not get any of my business apart from redemptions...
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by aster
Even I have stopped flying SQ on non-redemption flights, and I used to be SQ Gold for a long time. The two main reasons are ridiculous prices compared to competing airlines like BA and by far the worst FFP from a family perspective. Until that changes, SQ will not get any of my business apart from redemptions...
Their European longhaul pricing is actually competitive. Only the intra-Asia flights are priced beyond ridiculous.

I can now fly BR Premium Coach for a lot less to TPE than coach on SQ does cost ... and BA yes, they phoenixed from their ashes to quite an impressive airline.

Last edited by weero; Aug 4, 2014 at 12:30 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
To Europe I almost solely fly AY nowadays, got so used to them, the flight-connection times, HEL as an airport, etc. As long as their pricing is good I'll stick around. Plus mileage-accrual and the possibility of transferring miles between accounts is an added bonus.

I used to fly SQ to SYD but prices have been atrocious in recent years, with BA giving me a better price and a promo of flying me back in premium econ (which in fact didn't happen... as we were bumped to Club Class at check-in).

My next trip is a bit tricky as I only need to fly back from SYD (heading there by sea). Most 1-way offers are just ridiculous from all main carriers, so this time I will be giving Scoot a try for the first time. Whereas their departure time to SYD is awful (1:45am takeoff), I have to admit that they have a great slot for the return leg (13:45). Either way, as I need to fly 1-way I'm stuck with them...

P.S. Thinking of going to TPE for the first time ever so will definitely give BR a look.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by aster

I used to fly SQ to SYD but prices have been atrocious in recent years, with BA giving me a better price and a promo of flying me back in premium econ (which in fact didn't happen... as we were bumped to Club Class at check-in).
Nice, wish BA would upgrade me - only seems to happen with other OW carriers lol.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by AddictedTraveller
Nice, wish BA would upgrade me - only seems to happen with other OW carriers lol.
I think prem econ to Club upgrades are WAY easier to get than econ to prem econ.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
The real question should be: how long until Krisflyer eliminates fuel surcharges which is an insult to the whole idea of a FF ticket redemption.

Their redemption rates are low but when you factor in the extra miles at $.015 each, it makes their long haul award prices even higher.

And who decides those silly fuel-surcharges?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
The real question should be: how long until Krisflyer eliminates fuel surcharges which is an insult to the whole idea of a FF ticket redemption.

Their redemption rates are low but when you factor in the extra miles at $.015 each, it makes their long haul award prices even higher.

And who decides those silly fuel-surcharges?
You probably won't see that since their competitors also have fuel surcharges.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by elleana
Yeah, I can only look on in envy at those US credit cards. Now if only I could get a Social Security number somehow..
A SS# without a credit history won't take you too far with US credit cards!!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by lcpteck
You probably won't see that since their competitors also have fuel surcharges.
Not all competitors!.
Many US carriers have low fuel surcharges even for redemption on SQ.

Lifemiles redemptions for SQ flights, where available, also carry very low fuel surcharges!!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Not all competitors!.

Lifemiles redemptions for SQ flights, where available, also carry very low fuel surcharges!!
I would suggest US carriers are not particularly significant competitors to SQ, with only 4 flights a day to the US, so probably have little bearing on SQs decisions.

When talking competitors EK comes to mind, and it's surcharges are now through the roof, for example we're talking an extra $100 over what SQ charge for a simple return to Australia in economy from SIN. Other competitors of note include CX, the Japanese carriers, European carriers that fly to SIN (KL, BA, AF, LH, LX, AY, TK) and various SE Asian airlines such as Thai that all charge fuel surcharges.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
Not all competitors!.
If I have a choice between a US "competitor" and SQ, I'd rather pay the fuel surcharge.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bluegreentravel
If I have a choice between a US "competitor" and SQ, I'd rather pay the fuel surcharge.
Tend to agree!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.