Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore airlines 7kg cabin luggage allowance

Singapore airlines 7kg cabin luggage allowance

Old Jul 4, 2014, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down Singapore airlines 7kg cabin luggage allowance

Hi,

Newbie here, so please bear with me

I'm flying with SA on several routes between February-April 2015, and ideally, I want to travel with my hand luggage only. I was surprised though that they only allow one piece of luggage at 7kg, compared with the other airlines I'm travelling on allow 10kg.

Does anyone know how strict they are on this, and, if they weigh luggage?

I'm travelling for six months and don't really want to have to check in luggage.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 8:40 am

Unless you're flying other SQ-owned airlines like Scoot or Tiger, no, they're not strict on this.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Once I saw SQ employees in the jetway at TBIT for the LAX-NRT-SIN flight. They were grabbing large carry on bags, such as those that would barely be legal on USA carriers and aggressively gate checking (for free) those that were too big or too heavy, including the wheeled bag of one unhappy business class passenger. Another guy argued that he had medical equipment and was allowed to keep the bag, IIRC also in business class.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I think it's the size more than anything that causes issues.

Keep it small and things will be ok.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by explorelist
Hi,

Newbie here, so please bear with me

I'm flying with SA on several routes between February-April 2015, and ideally, I want to travel with my hand luggage only. I was surprised though that they only allow one piece of luggage at 7kg, compared with the other airlines I'm travelling on allow 10kg.

Does anyone know how strict they are on this, and, if they weigh luggage?

I'm travelling for six months and don't really want to have to check in luggage.
For starters - its SQ and not SA (that's for South African Airways).

And as a newbie, no need to do this ... as the limits are stated as such. For most places, you may be allowed the standard rollaway. If you intend to pack a 'normal' carryon for a US traveller, then you may be surprised that in many places outside the USA, this is not permitted. eg Australia ! But for other places, you may be asked to check it in. And why not.. SQ has impeccable baggage allowance (30kg) in coach, and handling.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by aster
I think it's the size more than anything that causes issues.

Keep it small and things will be ok.
Flew JFK-SIN in early June. SQ was weighing carry-ons at check-in. I had to move some stuff to my checked bag.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Must be a JFK/American thing because I haven't had my hand luggage weighed at SQ check-in anywhere in the world.

I usually just take out my laptop and or a book and then re-weigh my bag when encountering this at check-in with other carriers. Then I just put it all back in later on.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
I've had it weighed in SYD.

IIRC on 1 trip, 1 bag was 7.2kg and they let that through but 200 grams is neither here nor there, a 10kg bag may well be a problem.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:06 am

Chances are that hand luggage might be weighed when desk staff can see a big bag or when the passenger is already over the limit with their checked-in luggage. That usually brings attention to the hand luggage as well.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:08 am

could depends on the load of the flight, if the Y class is full, then they can get strict about the carry on, but typically, no, they are not strict about it.

JFK weighs every single thing for every single airline, even after check in, you may be stop before security and weigh your hand carry! saw it last december as 1 couple had several big bags and were asked to recheck in their luggage. the agent refused to let them proceed beyond the security till they have checked in the bag. i think they are on some american airlines.

the lady also checked my boarding pass but let me go cos its SQ but JFK gate agent are very very very "anal"
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:50 am

I carry two pieces, a handcarry and my (blown up) laptop bag. SQ has never question that in Y or J. And i fly regulary with them.
But i have never used them from the US.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: SQ TPP
Quite often depends on where you are travelling as much as who you are flying with. In HKG, I have had my hand luggage weighed and had to return to the SQ desk to get a second item tagged (for J pax). In Australia, if you are transferring to a domestic flight off SQ, you will definitely be restricted on the size and weight of your carry-on.

I am not sure how you can travel for a year with only 10Kg of luggage - I admire you if you can. I really do get annoyed by pax in any class who stretch the limits beyond reasonable - a large roller, often a suit carrier, plus a computer bag and even a back pack, if they think they can get away with it. Then they rush to board first and hog the bins, even those rows in front of their seats so pity those boarding later.

No airline has a strict enough policy for me.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I also find at least on non LCCs, including SQ, they tend to ignore anything you are carrying on your back. Whilst they may weigh the wheel-aboard, or are busy weighing other wheel-aboards, they usually don't see or don't bother with the backpack that I am carrying (unless I plonk it down on the ground during check in).

And When SIN bound I will often check in luggage even if I'd hand carried it outbound, saves hassle of carting around an airport (I'm thinking in particular BKK) and worrying about OH locker space when 9 times out of 10 the wait for luggage is <5 minutes at Changi.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:47 pm

I have travelled with this wonderful airline just once. Therefore I cannot comment of your query. I think you should call their customer service or mail them you issue. Customer service is a perfect technique for building brands. Singapore airline offer passengers the best Customer service. Check out these links http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/sia.htm, http://www.cleartrip.ae/airlines/sin...-airlines.html to know more about Singapore airline.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by imyadav
..I think you should call their customer service or mail them you issue.
Welcome to FT ^ !

What do you mean? Emailing them if their published carry on limit is for real??? What kind of answer do you expect ?
Customer service is a perfect technique for building brands. Singapore airline offer passengers the best Customer service..
Not remotely my experience. While SQ improved a lot, has often great hardware and food, they suck when it comes to customer service. As do all SIN based companies I know. Listening to the customer is simply not part of the culture.

So save the time and just follow the rules somewhat. That will do.

Btw I had my carry on weighed at PER, SIN, FRA, ZRH, MUC .. it does happen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.