Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ airlines - what happens if 1 passenger is a no show?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

My partner and I booked tickets with Singapore Airlines last year that were non-refundable. Unfortunately, he will not be able to fly on our booked flights, however I am still going ahead with the flights.
He wasn't going to call and cancel the flights because he won't get any money back, but now I am concerned about the SG no show policy.

If he does not show up at check in, and we are on the same itinerary, will they cancel all my flights as well as his? Or will they cancel just his flights?
If we cancel a non-refundable flight, will they still charge us a cancellation fee?

Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by juliettexx
My partner and I booked tickets with Singapore Airlines last year that were non-refundable. Unfortunately, he will not be able to fly on our booked flights, however I am still going ahead with the flights.
He wasn't going to call and cancel the flights because he won't get any money back, but now I am concerned about the SG no show policy.

If he does not show up at check in, and we are on the same itinerary, will they cancel all my flights as well as his? Or will they cancel just his flights?
If we cancel a non-refundable flight, will they still charge us a cancellation fee?

Thanks!
You can cancel, no charge. Even if he does not cancel, your ticket will stay intact. I would cancel though if it were me
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)

Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Since this question is specifically about Singapore (SQ) Airlines, I'll move it to the SQ forum where the experts therein can provide further input.

Please note this thread originated in the flame-free Information Desk forum.

jackal
Moderator, Information Desk
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: QF WP
Simply informing the airline at check-in that the other passenger will not be travelling would be adequate. However, informing the airline earlier would allow others to book the seat. Say, if you need to travel at short notice, but the flights are full, you would probably be grateful if someone who decided not to travel would inform the airline so you could then purchase the seat.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Double check if your fare has a no-show fee. Even if you don't get money back SQ may levy a no-show fee for not cancelling your ticket with notice.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:02 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
Simply informing the airline at check-in that the other passenger will not be travelling would be adequate. However, informing the airline earlier would allow others to book the seat. Say, if you need to travel at short notice, but the flights are full, you would probably be grateful if someone who decided not to travel would inform the airline so you could then purchase the seat.
On the flip side, if the flight is not full, you can ask them to block your partner's seat for you so you can stretch out a bit!!!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
On the flip side, if the flight is not full, you can ask them to block your partner's seat for you so you can stretch out a bit!!!
Really?! They do that?! Although I guess kind of selfish, that would be good, as the last time I had to sit next to strangers on a long haul was incredibly uncomfortable...

Well I contacted the travel agent my partner used, as I was a bit concerned that they might ask for the card we used for payment at check-in, and the flights were paid for by him.

The travel agent also said that for our booking, as we are on the same itinerary, if my partner doesn't check in, all the flights on the itinerary would be cancelled, including mine!?

So he split us into 2 separate itineraries, now when I login to the 'manage my booking' section on SG airlines, it just brings up my tickets, instead of before where it made me give information about the both of us to locate the tickets, and then would bring up both of our tickets.

Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:44 am

Programs: QF WP
Really?! They do that?! Although I guess kind of selfish, that would be good, as the last time I had to sit next to strangers on a long haul was incredibly uncomfortable...

Well I contacted the travel agent my partner used, as I was a bit concerned that they might ask for the card we used for payment at check-in, and the flights were paid for by him.

The travel agent also said that for our booking, as we are on the same itinerary, if my partner doesn't check in, all the flights on the itinerary would be cancelled, including mine!?

So he split us into 2 separate itineraries, now when I login to the 'manage my booking' section on SG airlines, it just brings up my tickets, instead of before where it made me give information about the both of us to locate the tickets, and then would bring up both of our tickets.

Thanks for the help!
Don't think the travel agent is completely correct, but a split itinerary will work just as well, so no issues there.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: KF
I was turn down by the check in agent in SIN, and will have to wait for my colleague . The agent told us that our tickets was booked as GV2 promo fare. We have to check in together ,taking same flights together on both legs. SO theoretically, it depends on the fare condition. Separating iterinary is one thing ( I have separate eticket only on my name) but apparently the airline system will ask for both passenger before it generate boarding pass
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by wanderer9020
I was turn down by the check in agent in SIN, and will have to wait for my colleague . The agent told us that our tickets was booked as GV2 promo fare. We have to check in together ,taking same flights together on both legs. SO theoretically, it depends on the fare condition. Separating iterinary is one thing ( I have separate eticket only on my name) but apparently the airline system will ask for both passenger before it generate boarding pass
Yes. Two (or more)-to-go (GV2) fares would be problematic and may require re-issue with a higher non-GV2 fare if one person is no longer travelling.

I'm assuming, perhaps prematurely, that it's not an issue for the OP since he has not indicated to this effect.
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
If they did, it would be a favour rather than an entitlement even if you are not able to obtain a refund on the other ticket. Once the passenger is offloaded due to no-show, the seat is up for anyone's grabs and you have no right to it unless it was specifically bought as an extra seat.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by stargold
If they did, it would be a favour rather than an entitlement even if you are not able to obtain a refund on the other ticket. Once the passenger is offloaded due to no-show, the seat is up for anyone's grabs and you have no right to it unless it was specifically bought as an extra seat.
Really? I've always thought that you can block off as many seats as you want as long as you pay for them. And heard of musicians who book an extra seat for their cellos... in whose name do they book the extra seat under?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.