Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

My First SQ Flight - Wow, What A Difference

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My First SQ Flight - Wow, What A Difference

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2014, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by fly747first
Although SQ has an excellent Y product, its standard seat pitch is 32'', not 35''.
+1

That is the biggest drawback on flying on SQ Y, another drawback is the cheapest Y ticket earn no miles.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm aware that US airlines can't compete with Asian carriers. While I found the coach product of AC, NH and BR only marginally better than UA and most of it was service delivery or seat size/quality (AC), the difference between SQ and UA was so stark and dramatic, I was shocked.

The point of my post, and no it's not a trip report that should be moved, is to draw attention to this stark contrast, and also try to figure out why UA doesn't even bother trying to compete at all.

The fare I paid on SQ was actually lower than UA charges on the same routing - and if I look further at other routes on SQ, they either price at or slightly below UA (LAX/NRT, SFO/ICN, SFO/HKG).
Why UA doesn't even bother trying to compete at all ? Well because UA had figured out no matter what kind of product it provides, their planes are still fully loaded, so why bother ?

And if UA had ever tried to be better before ? yes certainly, how long you have been flying UA actually ? sUA basically had full products even in Y before the bankruptcy in 2003. sUA had no amenity kits in Y, but they did have individual blue socks and eyeshades (FA actually would walk down the aisle passing those out, not even on request only), printed menus, towels, the two choice of meals were completely different, not just the entrée, playing cards, stationery sets.

sCO before the merger with sUA, even as close as 2011, sCO still had printed menus in Y, towels, midflight snack with ice-cream and hot sandwhiches.

Most of the times when I looked at the fare for SQ, the low fare actually take me the long way IAH-DME-SIN-HKG instead of SFO-HKG, if not the fare earn ZERO miles, not to mention, I don't get the elite bonus on UA/NH, with that, why bother with SQ ?

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Feb 24, 2014 at 4:30 pm
Old Feb 24, 2014, 6:40 pm

I read the 77W has large, wide, plush seats with onboard wifi. When I boarded my flight, I found the seats were wide, but older with colored fabric and there was no wifi. Perhaps I am confusing the products?
There are two different 77W Versions:

"Old" 77W with brown/beige/green colored seats covers in Y (majority of the fleet)
New 77W with blue colored seat covers and touchscreen IFE in Y

The WIFI system is fitted in both versions, but to my knowledge SQ hasnt completed the installation of WIFI systems on all 77W yet. You may have been just unlucky, that you were on one of the birds not offering WIFI yet.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SQ319
Were you expecting this?
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Singa...4fa4f6864dc8e7
http://www.silverkris.com/sia-news/2...ducts-unveiled

That's the new cabin product launched last year. The new 77W are now serving London and Delhi (selected flights).

The one which is serving SIN-ICN-SFO is still the older product.
Yes, exactly right!

Are these seats even more comfortable than the older product or less-so?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
+1

That is the biggest drawback on flying on SQ Y, another drawback is the cheapest Y ticket earn no miles.
Actually the cheapest Y fare still earns 10% of the miles flown (pathetic...), at least from Ex-SIN.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I would like to know which SQ's planes (or flight numbers) have 34" or more seat pitch in Y.

Because the only reason I fly UA from SIN to US is access to E+.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by invisible
I would like to know which SQ's planes (or flight numbers) have 34" or more seat pitch in Y.

Because the only reason I fly UA from SIN to US is access to E+.
I was mistaken with the pitch, but it seemed more spacious than it really is.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I don't mind trashing UA for its service. Indeed, SQ's inflight is way better in all classes.

However, you have to give some credits to UA.

1. UA offers RDM bonus to elites. You get nothing from SQ.

2. Basically, all UA paid tickets are FFP eligible, but not the case in SQ.

3. For 1K/GS, you get GPUs to secure your upgrade. In SQ, you use your miles.

4. Last but not the least, you pay no YQ for award redeemed from UA . But you pay YQ for award redeemed from SQ.

I call this - trade off.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:18 am

I would take QR over SQ Economy, because of the leg room, and the much cheaper fares/better miles for discounted economy, 25% vs 10%
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:29 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by tboons
I would take QR over SQ Economy, because of the leg room, and the much cheaper fares/better miles for discounted economy, 25% vs 10%
the 777 is good but the rest of the fleet is rather tight. As example, 787 has 31'' by 17.2'' that's rather bad, and they are going to fly SIN-DOH with that plane.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
I was mistaken with the pitch, but it seemed more spacious than it really is.
Crazy how biases can change your perception of reality!
Old Feb 28, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by tboons
I have found QR timings not too convenient compared to SQ which is also a slight minus against QR
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Pinned
19" wide coach seat?! I might have to get some *A miles somehow...
I've sat in some business seats that are only 18 inch!!! I know what you mean. Sounds amazing in economy!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 1:17 am

Yes, I know UA will never be Singapore Airlines, but after today I wonder if they even bother trying to compete on TPAC routes.

Here is a breakdown of my experience:

- reasonably comfortable, 19" wide coach seat with almost 35" of pitch (I could cross my legs if the seat in front didn't recline)
- printed menus - in coach!
- an amenity kit! (ok, socks and a toothbrush, but at least it's something)
- hot towel service - in coach! - twice! Once after departure and again before the pre-landing meal
- more drink services than I could count
- the dinner service had more smoked salmon in the appetizer than I've ever seen in United BF or even GF
- self-service snacks had more variety than UA in BusinessFirst
- the IFE system had more movies and TV shows than I've ever seen on the UA BF system
- my aircraft wasn't even a refurbished model, but the new ones have wifi on board - over the Pacific (yes I know it's expensive, but they have a $18 Chinese New Year special running, which is worth it for a long flight)
- on board staff were not gushy, sweet "we'll do anything to please", but were friendly, very efficient, and delivered every part of the inflight service to SQ's standards vs UA crews who tend to delivery inflight service according to their personal professionalism or mood of the day.

I opened a Krisflyer account so I can move SPG and MR points to that program and upgrade from very reasonably priced Y fares to J and still credit the flight to UA. Once my UA GPU's are used for the year, I think this will be the way to go. I feel sorry for the folks on the UA 747 who followed us from SFO to ICN today.
I got rerouted coming back from Budapest to Sydney on X-Mas last year.

Instead of -
BUD-LHR (BA)
LHR-MEL (QF)
MEL-SYD (QF)

I got -
BUD-FRA (LH)
FRA-SIN (SQ)
SIN-SYD (QF)

All in Y.

Worked out better - shorter distance and got home earlier.

I was most impressed with SQ. WOW. They were fantastic. All of the above that you mentioned I agree with.

IFE
Food
Staff
Drinks

Was a delight to fly on SQ.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA-Gold SPG-Gold Avis-First
Yes, exactly right!

Are these seats even more comfortable than the older product or less-so?
I have flown econ SIN-LHR both on the A380 and on the 777 with the new seats. I paid for bulkhead upper deck on the A380...worth it for the space, but horribly uncomfortable seats. The new 777 econ seats were so comfortable that I was able to sleep, even in a middle seat!

The new seats felt sort of like memory foam to me...hopefully they will hold up.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: 1865 Voyager, GHA Black, *G, KFEG, OWR, MPCS.
Yes, I know UA will never be Singapore Airlines, but after today I wonder if they even bother trying to compete on TPAC routes.

Here is a breakdown of my experience:

- reasonably comfortable, 19" wide coach seat with almost 35" of pitch (I could cross my legs if the seat in front didn't recline)
- printed menus - in coach!
- an amenity kit! (ok, socks and a toothbrush, but at least it's something)
- hot towel service - in coach! - twice! Once after departure and again before the pre-landing meal
- more drink services than I could count
- the dinner service had more smoked salmon in the appetizer than I've ever seen in United BF or even GF
- self-service snacks had more variety than UA in BusinessFirst
- the IFE system had more movies and TV shows than I've ever seen on the UA BF system
- my aircraft wasn't even a refurbished model, but the new ones have wifi on board - over the Pacific (yes I know it's expensive, but they have a $18 Chinese New Year special running, which is worth it for a long flight)
- on board staff were not gushy, sweet "we'll do anything to please", but were friendly, very efficient, and delivered every part of the inflight service to SQ's standards vs UA crews who tend to delivery inflight service according to their personal professionalism or mood of the day.

I opened a Krisflyer account so I can move SPG and MR points to that program and upgrade from very reasonably priced Y fares to J and still credit the flight to UA. Once my UA GPU's are used for the year, I think this will be the way to go. I feel sorry for the folks on the UA 747 who followed us from SFO to ICN today.
With no disrespect i found that eastern airliner always did much better than the western speaking of service and amenities. No matter in hotel line or airline. Real professional! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.