Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines: seat power plug types on A380

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2013, 3:35 am
Original Poster

I suspect I'm worrying about nothing, but I'm a little confused over what power plugs Singapore Airlines allows in economy on the A380.

From the various postings and pictures on the internet it looks like US/EU/AU. On their website though, they say:

A380, A340-500, A330-300, Boeing 777-300ER aircraft: 110V AC in-seat power supply available in all classes. A universal adaptor is required except on the A340-500 and A330-300.

Selected Boeing 777 aircraft: 110V AC in-seat power supply available in First and Business Class. A universal adaptor is required for plugs that are not compatible with the system. System supports Australian, Japanese and US 2/3-pin, and European 2-pin plugs.

That's confusing me because it's telling me I need a universal adapter for the A380, but the 777 110v specifically mentions Australian plugs. I'm off to Oz for a while, so I'd bought an Australian lead for my laptop powerpack. Can anyone confirm that this will work on the A380, or would I be somehow better off with my UK lead and a universal adapter (presumably something like this).

EDIT: Thanks Ocn & apologies if I double posted (I was getting database errors).

Incidentally, I called UK reservations and they were uncharacteristically unhelpful. The chap said that they couldn't advise which plugs were accepted, hence the suggestion to take a universal adapter.

Last edited by Bromley86; Nov 25, 2013 at 4:45 am
Old Nov 25, 2013, 4:19 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Bromley86, welcome to FlyerTalk!
As this is specific to one airline, Singapore, I'll move to that airline's specific forum for discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:13 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer/Star Gold, QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by Bromley86
I suspect I'm worrying about nothing, but I'm a little confused over what power plugs Singapore Airlines allows in economy on the A380.

From the various postings and pictures on the internet it looks like US/EU/AU. On their website though, they say:

A380, A340-500, A330-300, Boeing 777-300ER aircraft: 110V AC in-seat power supply available in all classes. A universal adaptor is required except on the A340-500 and A330-300.

Selected Boeing 777 aircraft: 110V AC in-seat power supply available in First and Business Class. A universal adaptor is required for plugs that are not compatible with the system. System supports Australian, Japanese and US 2/3-pin, and European 2-pin plugs.

That's confusing me because it's telling me I need a universal adapter for the A380, but the 777 110v specifically mentions Australian plugs. I'm off to Oz for a while, so I'd bought an Australian lead for my laptop powerpack. Can anyone confirm that this will work on the A380, or would I be somehow better off with my UK lead and a universal adapter (presumably something like this).

EDIT: Thanks Ocn & apologies if I double posted (I was getting database errors).

Incidentally, I called UK reservations and they were uncharacteristically unhelpful. The chap said that they couldn't advise which plugs were accepted, hence the suggestion to take a universal adapter.
Hi, on the A380, the socket is a universal socket which will fit either 2 pin or 3 pin plugs, including US 2-pin/3pin, Europe rounded 2-pin, [EDITED POST: It appears the A380 socket may not fit a UK 3-pin plug, although the A330 does]. Voltage is 110v.

Here is a picture of the plug on the A330 in Y. The A380 plug looks similar.

Last edited by sqyf; Nov 26, 2013 at 9:55 pm
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks sqyf. Both the Singapore Airlines Connectivity page and the results of much googling (i.e. here) agree with you regarding the compatibility of the A330 with pretty-much anything you throw at it (including the UK/SG 3-pin plug).

It seems that there really is a slight difference between the A380 and A330 sockets. Not only does the Singapore Airlines website indicate that, but there are loads of posts which say the UK/SG plug doesn't fit the A380 socket (including in that link above).

Anyway, I asked Singapore Airlines:
The Connectivity page says that a universal adapter is required on the A380. Clearly it's possible to use some plugs on an A380 without a universal adapter. Could you please confirm which plug formats will work in the A380 power socket without an adapter?
The excellent & comprehensive reply from them (thanks Namrata!):
With regards to your query, please be advised that we do have a 110 V AC in-seat power supply system in Economy class on the Airbus A380, A340-500, A330-300 and Boeing 777-300ER aircraft, which you may use while working on your laptop on-board. Please be advised that charging of batteries/laptops using this power supply is strictly prohibited.

The power supply is shared between the seats in Economy Class. For example the configuration for Airbus 380 Main Deck is 3-4-3 so, the power supply will be 2 between 3 seater rows and 3 between the 4 seater rows. Similarly on the Upper Deck its 2-4-2 and the supply will be 1 between the 2 seats. The concept will be the same for the other aircraft types mentioned.

We do not provide adaptors on-board and so, you would need to bring your own. The 110 V AC system supports Australian 2/3-pin, European 2-pin, Japanese 2/3-pin, and US 2/3-pin plugs. However, it would be advisable to bring along a universal adaptor, in case your laptop plug is not compatible with the system.

You may work on the laptop using the power supply on-board.

However, you would be unable to leave the laptop plugged into the power supply in 'Stand-by' mode (i.e., you are not actually using the laptop), with the batteries charging.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer/Star Gold, QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by Bromley86
Thanks sqyf. Both the Singapore Airlines Connectivity page and the results of much googling (i.e. here) agree with you regarding the compatibility of the A330 with pretty-much anything you throw at it (including the UK/SG 3-pin plug).

It seems that there really is a slight difference between the A380 and A330 sockets. Not only does the Singapore Airlines website indicate that, but there are loads of posts which say the UK/SG plug doesn't fit the A380 socket (including in that link above).
Hi Bromley86, upon reflection, I believe you are right that there is a difference between A380 and A330 (I hadn't noticed in the flights I took!). It appears that the A380 socket does not accept UK/Singapore style 3-pin plugs, although the US 3-pin should be fine.

I don't have a Y picture of the A380 socket, but the A380 J socket is shown here, which tends to support this.

So, yes it looks like you should bring an adapter that converts from UK 3-pin to one of the other plugs if you are on the A380!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.