Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upper deck economy class questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Originally Posted by aster

Upper deck is the way to go, no doubt about it.
BOSE is the way to go. Wherever you sit

Note that SQ 25/26 SIN-FRA-JFK will be changing to the all J upper deck before christmas. Not sure about LAX..
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Depending on your dates (i.e. not 10-24 Dec) i've now found that the downstairs back cabin is best.

There is a bunfight for the upstairs seats so it ends up packed. Check-in allocates from the front back, so 3 / 4 of my last 380 flights i've had a row of 3 (day flights) or 4 (night flight) to myself. And it's obviously dependent on it not being a full flights.

But at 84 vs 94 seats the size of the cabins are not that different, and i've seen about 10 seats taken in my cabin vs the upstairs being almost 100% full.

Mind you I thought they were removing the Y deck upstairs A380's from LHR? Guess they have changed their mind a few times.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by weero

The back is indeed much more bumpy and SQ "don't take detours" flight style often makes it a rattle fest. .
What a shame! I hate turbulence.
But which airlines really avoid turbulence areas as much as possible?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 3:27 am

I'm in Singapore right now, got here in row 61 on an A380 flying JFK-FRA-SIN, gonna be doing the same trip in reverse tonight in row 83. I originally had different seats for both trips, but decided to change to the back of the plane on check-in to see if I can score an empty seat beside me and to avoid having to get up to let others exit out to the aisle. This kinda worked so far: JFK-FRA I had a free seat beside me, but FRA-SIN was a completely full flight.

I don't fly internationally much, but I did notice that the A380 was quieter than I thought. I did LHR-SIN RT back in Feb in business class on the UD, as far as I can remember, it didn't seem any quieter than being in the back of the plate.

I got some significant turbulence on the flight here in the back of that A380, and I've never felt so much horizontal movement during turbulence - I'm only used to turbulence causing mostly vertical movement. Maybe this is unique to being in the back of the plane?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by touareg03

, and I've never felt so much horizontal movement during turbulence
This is what is called fishtailing (correct me if I am wrong...).
I didn't know that the A380 was proneto this phenomenon.
Usually, it concerns very long a/C such as A346, 753, 77W, for example

Last edited by LY777; Sep 24, 2013 at 1:37 pm
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:24 am

Never heard of tailfishing, but I'm very familiar with fishtailing as it applies to cars. Whatever it's called, I can definitely confirm that the A380 is prone to this, or that passengers in the back of an A380 may experience this. I know the A380 isn't the longest plane out there, but I'm guessing it's still one of the longer ones.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

yes, it is fishtailing, sorry. EDITED
Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:10 pm

Programs: Singapore PPS Solitaire
As others have said, the A380 is very quiet and a lumbering plane. It feels like a big comfy sofa in the sky and it rarely gets bumpy.

Main deck is quieter than a B7x7 or A320

Upper Deck 2-4-2 config isn't good IMHO if you have a window set at they're set a little bit away from the window, so if you like to sleep against the window, then it is quiet difficult.

A777 in 3-4-3 config has less room but it easier for me to sleep!
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by AstraWally
Upper Deck 2-4-2 config isn't good IMHO if you have a window set at they're set a little bit away from the window, so if you like to sleep against the window, then it is quiet difficult.
That's true, but I LOVE the storage compartment you get from all that space between the window seat and the side of the plane. It's great for stashing things away during takeoff/landing that you want access to in air/taxing (no need to climb out to the aisle to get to the overhead bins) and frees up all the space under the seat in front of you for your feet. Just don't forget to empty it out when you get off the plane - very easy mistake to make.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Its been frustrating trying to get a seat on UD for my LHR-SIN flight on thursday. This is an award ticket booked using UA miles EWR-LHR-SIN.

Been calling since 4 months - was told 1 week before departure they will release, then was told 48 hours before and now am told only at airport. Another agent claims its all taken(and not blocked by airport control).

Why make it so difficult to get a seat? FIFO, star gold, UA 1K, nothing seems to work. Any suggsestions - since i start in EWR, I fear I will randomly get some middle seat
Old Dec 18, 2013, 3:00 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Acid
..Why make it so difficult to get a seat?
SQ's policy to hawk off those seats at their sole discretion. I.e. to friends and family and people of good standing.
FIFO, star gold, UA 1K, nothing seems to work. Any suggsestions - since i start in EWR, I fear I will randomly get some middle seat
*G helps a lot to get a good seat. An expensive ticket does ... but all this won't secure you a seat in the upper deck. Those are eternally allocated for "them" as one hears so often in Singlish.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 3:44 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by weero
SQ's policy to hawk off those seats at their sole discretion. I.e. to friends and family and people of good standing.

*G helps a lot to get a good seat. An expensive ticket does ... but all this won't secure you a seat in the upper deck. Those are eternally allocated for "them" as one hears so often in Singlish.
Called up one time to insert my LH number into my booking as it couldn't be done online (don't ask why); and while I was there, I asked whether I could be seated in the upper deck - and it was done without any hassles.

Been calling since 4 months - was told 1 week before departure they will release, then was told 48 hours before and now am told only at airport. Another agent claims its all taken(and not blocked by airport control).
Very strange ...
Old Dec 18, 2013, 3:59 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by im.daniel
Called up one time to insert my LH number into my booking as it couldn't be done online (don't ask why); and while I was there, I asked whether I could be seated in the upper deck - and it was done without any hassles...
Yep ... had this about 6 times until around 14 months ago when getting seats started to become an impossibility.

I liked the old restrictions better than the "we do it for you" policy of the day .
Old Dec 18, 2013, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Tried again and was told the airport staff assign the Upper Deck seats and its all been assigned....was asked to go to singaporeair.com and complain...lol
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Acid
Tried again and was told the airport staff assign the Upper Deck seats and its all been assigned....was asked to go to singaporeair.com and complain...lol
Quite possibly all the upstairs pairs were assigned more than 4 months ago. It's only like one of the the peak travelling days long haul from UK, flights would have been sold out a fair old while.

Not a single Y or J showing on any of Thursday's SQ flights. Get to airport early as some seats will not have been assigned, probably emergency exits included.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.