Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SilverChris
Singapore Airlines' (SQ) through-check baggage policy on separate tickets

Official policy: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/b...question-60958
Note that the requirement of having a single itinerary to transit through SIN is out of date

SQ - SQ
Yes, provided your connection is legal.

SQ - Other airlines
Yes, in most cases. As long as there's an interline agreement with the subsequent carrier(s), and your connection time is legal, SQ should check it through. There may be exceptions, such as where the connecting point cannot accept through-checked bags.

Scoot (TR) - SQ
No, Scoot will not tag your bag to an SQ flight if it's on a separate ticket.

Other airlines - SQ
Check with the airline that will be accepting your bag.

FAQ
How do I ask to be through-checked from SQ to another airline?

At the check-in desk, tell the agent you have an onward flight, and show a printout/screenshot of your e-ticket for the onward flight(s).

Will I receive my boarding pass(es) for the subsequent flight(s)?
Most likely. SQ has the capability of printing boarding passes for your subsequent flights, even on other airlines, but this doesn't always work.

Is SQ obligated to check me in across separate tickets?
No, especially if it's to another airline. It is, however, a courtesy offered by SQ at their discretion and is not guaranteed. There may be instances of inexperienced/unhelpful check-in staff, or unforeseen exceptions. You should always have a contingency plan in case you're refused. In other words, always meet the entry requirements for the destination on your first ticket, and leave sufficient time to clear arrival formalities and re-check your bag.

My bag was tagged by SQ to another airline, and now it's mishandled (delayed/lost/damaged). Which airline is responsible?
The final delivering carrier is always responsible, even if they're not at fault. This is true even if you're on separate tickets. You must file a report with the final carrier listed on your baggage claim stub.

I was through-checked by SQ, but missed my connection. Will SQ rebook my onward travel?
If it's SQ-SQ, they're usually proactive at rebooking you even on separate tickets. If it's to another carrier, you're at the mercy of that airline and your fare rules. This is the inherent risk of travelling on separate tickets, so plan accordingly.

My tickets have different baggage allowances and/or I hold status with the subsequent airline. Which allowance will SQ honour?
Anecdotal reports suggest SQ will usually honour the higher allowance, if your onward flight is on SQ. If your onward flight is on a different airline, expect SQ to honour the allowance of your flight with them, along with any extra allowance your applicable status would get you on SQ (i.e. PPS/KFEG/*A/VS/VA Gold etc). Should you hold status that gets you extra allowance on the subsequent airline, but not SQ (e.g. oneworld Emerald, AC E35K, etc), don't expect SQ to honour it.
For example:
Ticket 1: SQ SIN-LHR Y, no status = 30kg
Ticket 2: AA LHR-ORD Y, OW Emerald = 3*23kg
Expect SQ to honour Ticket 1's baggage allowance
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone have any recent experience (either successful or unsuccessful!) of Singapore interlining a bag onto a separate carrier/PNR (specifically to KLM and starting from SYD)?

(For example I know BA's policy is to do this for other OneWorld carriers, but not outside the alliance unless on a single PNR - can't find similar info for Singapore, nor experiences here on FT!)
Old Sep 8, 2013, 1:01 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I believe they'll tag the bags right through if you're checking in at SIN, unless something has changed in recent times.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Nikko5
Does anyone have any recent experience (either successful or unsuccessful!) of Singapore interlining a bag onto a separate carrier/PNR (specifically to KLM and starting from SYD)?

(For example I know BA's policy is to do this for other OneWorld carriers, but not outside the alliance unless on a single PNR - can't find similar info for Singapore, nor experiences here on FT!)
Did you even bother doing a search? There has been numerous threads on people asking similar questions..

And there's even a SQ FAQ in this topic specifically...(right on top of this forum)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...-airlines.html
Old Sep 8, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Did you even bother doing a search? There has been numerous threads on people asking similar questions..

And there's even a SQ FAQ in this topic specifically...(right on top of this forum)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...-airlines.html
With all due respect, that table you provide does not answer OP's question. The fact that SQ has interline agreement with OA, does not necessarily mean that they will check through if on two PNRs...
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vbroucek
With all due respect, that table you provide does not answer OP's question. The fact that SQ has interline agreement with OA, does not necessarily mean that they will check through if on two PNRs...
With all due respect to you, but did you even read the post in the hyperlink? Scroll down the table to the first line of the paragraph which states that SQ will interline baggage to OA on same or separate tickets.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
With all due respect to you, but did you even read the post in the hyperlink? Scroll down the table to the first line of the paragraph which states that SQ will interline baggage to OA on same or separate tickets.
But that's only your assertion that you cannot back with anything formal. I could do the same for, let's say, QF. But hey, I could not, because I could provide official statement from QF which explains that they do it for OW partners, but otherwise only and only on same PNR. Knowing the same about several other airlines, I would bet that SQ will have something similar. I would not rely on your statement at all...
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vbroucek
But that's only your assertion that you cannot back with anything formal. I could do the same for, let's say, QF. But hey, I could not, because I could provide official statement from QF which explains that they do it for OW partners, but otherwise only and only on same PNR. Knowing the same about several other airlines, I would bet that SQ will have something similar. I would not rely on your statement at all...
Why are you even trying to argue with me on this? I wouldn't have put the info on the post if I know that SQ will only interline to some carriers and not others. Let's just say that Asian carriers are less paranoid than their Australian, English and American counterparts when it comes to interlining on separate tickets. Most carriers outside those countries will happily interline to most tickets. But to be specific, you'd have to ask at each airline forum.

SQ will interline to KLM. Besides, as a former moderator on the SQ forum and having had personal experiences with SQ, I do know what I am talking about!

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Sep 9, 2013 at 9:19 am
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

SQ will interline to KLM. Besides, as a former moderator on the SQ forum and having had personal experiences with SQ, I do know what I am talking about!
Guy, many thanks for your definitive confirmation. To be fair I had done a search and found the thread you linked to, but like vbroucek I didn't view it as a definitive statement of policy! It's also nearly a year old...

Let's just say that Asian carriers are less paranoid than their Australian, English and American counterparts when it comes to interlining on separate tickets.
Will be checking in with SQ in Sydney, so hope for no Australian paranoia even though I'm flying SQ!

Noting that you say SQ can't provide BPs on 2 separate tickets, should I OLCI for the KLM flight before presenting my bag to SQ in Sydney? Or should I leave it & pick up the KLM BP from the transfer desk in Amsterdam on arrival?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guy, many thanks for your definitive confirmation. To be fair I had done a search and found the thread you linked to, but like vbroucek I didn't view it as a definitive statement of policy! It's also nearly a year old...

Will be checking in with SQ in Sydney, so hope for no Australian paranoia even though I'm flying SQ!

Noting that you say SQ can't provide BPs on 2 separate tickets, should I OLCI for the KLM flight before presenting my bag to SQ in Sydney? Or should I leave it & pick up the KLM BP from the transfer desk in Amsterdam on arrival?
The latter. Doubt you can OLCI for KLM when you check in at SYD as they wouldn't have opened their check in yet. So just pick up BP in AMS.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
So, Guy, perhaps you can comment on my thread here which so far has not had an answer:

"I have an evening flight from SIN to SYD in First, arriving SYD at 07:40. I have a same day departure on VA in J to LAX at 14:40. I do not intend to leave the airport and plan to head for the Air NZ Koru Lounge.

Question: Will SQ check my bags thru to LAX ( 2 different PNR's) or will I need to claim them and go thru standard Customs and re check with VA?"

From what you post, I know SQ will interline bags with VA. VA checkin at SYD should be open at 18:00 SIN time when we anticipate arriving at Changi. So, with 2 PNR's, yes or no? I certainly don't want to have to hang out for several hours after arrival in SYD to wait for VA to open their Int'l counter.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Aloha1
From what you post, I know SQ will interline bags with VA. VA checkin at SYD should be open at 18:00 SIN time when we anticipate arriving at Changi. So, with 2 PNR's, yes or no? I certainly don't want to have to hang out for several hours after arrival in SYD to wait for VA to open their Int'l counter.
Yes, Guy Betsy is former moderator on the SQ, and when he departed, there were people saying "thank God for that..." (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...moderator.html) Just consider that by his own admission, his advice is based on hearsay only - he cannot provide anything to support it... I will leave it at that...

OLCI for second of the two separate PNRs is IMHO very risky. If you first is badly delayed/cancelled etc and you miss your second flight while already checked in, your chances of doing something about the delay (depending on flexibility/rules of the second ticket) are significantly smaller... Changing ticket/flight after check-in is always more difficult than before check-in...

Last edited by vbroucek; Sep 9, 2013 at 4:20 pm
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
SQ will interline bags onto BA if departing from SYD so may do it for other non-*A airlines too. (This may be because SQ do sell tickets for onward travel on BA, for example if you are flying onwards UK destinations outside London).
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Just to complete the loop... SQ check-in agent in Sydney was indeed more than happy to interline my checked-in luggage onto my (separate ticket/PNR) KLM flight onward from Amsterdam. She had to make a quick phone call before checking me in, took about 5mins total. Could only get the SQ boarding passes, not the KLM one.

Having done this, I was also unable to OLCI for the KLM flight using wi-fi at Changi (the KLM flight check-in having opened up by then). It gave an error message saying to check in at the airport.

Picked up the KLM boarding pass successfully at AMS transfer desk. Not sure how it would have worked if SIN-AMS had been late, but I guess that would have been my risk of booking the 2 tickets separately (though not sure what would have happened to my bag in that case!)

Thanks to those who replied to help previously, it all went seamlessly... Well done SQ for interlining outside alliance on separate tickets (where many airlines won't these days!)
Old Jan 12, 2014, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
Just thought I might add onto this, some experiences my friends & I have had before.

I was travelling to SIN-HKG-SFO via SQ and CX, both on different tickets. Checking in at SIN, the check-in folks were happy to tag my bags through to SFO but were unable to issue the BP. I had to go to the transfer desk in HKG to get the BP for the next sector.

Similar thing happened when I travelled to DUB via LHR on SQ and BA (again, different tickets). This time, I had called SQ to put the BA reference into the information segment of the ticket and was able to see it linked on checkmytrip.com. However, the trainee staff at the check-in was stumped and didnt know what to do. Fortunately, a colleague helped her out and managed to check my bags through to DUB although the BA BP could not be issued.

In contrast, a friend of mine had to travel SIN-DXB-DOH via SQ and EK (again on different tickets). He got SQ to link the tickets together and when checking in at SIN, bags were tagged through and both BPs were printed. Similar,y on the return leg, EK reciporcated, tagged bags and providing BP through to SIN.

I guess depending on the airline you're transferring onto, you may or may not get the BP, but pretty sure SQ will be able to tag the bags through.

In contrast, another trip SIN-LHR-DUB on QF/EI, QF was not able to tag bags or issue BP through to DUB, resulting in a few nights in DUB without a change of clothes. Both carriers incidentally refused to provide compensation for the baggage delay, claiming each other's fault.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 4:44 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by tango3
In contrast, another trip SIN-LHR-DUB on QF/EI, QF was not able to tag bags or issue BP through to DUB, resulting in a few nights in DUB without a change of clothes. Both carriers incidentally refused to provide compensation for the baggage delay, claiming each other's fault.
A risk of travelling on separate tickets. BTW, QF do not (ie. choose not to) through check bags to non one-world partners on separate tickets, but they could if on same ticket. SQ (and a few others) will still allow this, but there are reports of at least one carrier (NZ) who won't even through check baggage on separate tickets with the same airline, and definitely won't to other star alliance partners or completely unaligned airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.