Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SFO to HKG or SFO to HKG - 2 Saver First Class seat question for my 92yr old grandma

SFO to HKG or SFO to HKG - 2 Saver First Class seat question for my 92yr old grandma

Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Hi, I need to fly my 92 year old grandma back to Taiwan to visit family.

I have 141,000 amex mr points that I want to convert to KrisFlyer miles.

I need to 2 saver first class seats (one way) from either SFO to HKG or HKG to SFO. (1 for my grandma, and 1 for my aunt to accompany her) (I can use AA miles to fly her the other way on Cathay).

However, literally every date I've chosen in November 2013 and also random days in 2014 all list only 1 available saver for FC.

1) Is it routine for SQ to only have 1 saver FC seat available?
2) Can I book 1 saver flight first and then hope that another saver FC pops open?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 25, 2013, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I will call SQ Revenue Management to open up 2 seats in F just for you.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Will they make exceptions in cases such as mine?

I'm thinking of booking my grandma in FC and adding my aunt on the waitlist and hope it clears. Their dates are really flexible.

I looked at dates as far out as June 2014 and see only 1 FC available. However, when I look at this current week, I see 2 seats available for several flights.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Perhabs the lady should avoid flying longhaul at that age, even in F?

The stress on your body of being confined to a seat for many hours, jet lag etc. is something a 92 year old person should really avoid. A significant risk IMO.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Galak
1) Is it routine for SQ to only have 1 saver FC seat available?
Unfortunately, this seems to be the new routine.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold

Depends on the route.
For the Americas , yes, 1 FC saver per flight
Old Jun 26, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
I find the sense of entitlement interesting. Singapore Airlines is a for-profit organization and not a charity. There are no compassionate concessions. SFO to HKG has a very high seat load and chances for a second seat in saver are slim.

Having said that, booking one seat in Saver and one as a Standard awards is still a bargain compared to the official pricing and still gets you and your granny into F.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:06 am

Provided J is available, I would have thought that J would still be absolutely fine, given it's still a large flat bed.

And I echo SK AAR's concerns for a 90+ year old to be travelling on any flight, let alone a longhaul.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:32 am

Perhaps a better deal than booking one seat at saver level and one at standard level is to book one person on the SFO-SIN direct flight through HKG at saver level and one person on the SFO-HKG part of the flight at saver level. In my experience, after booking the SFO-SIN direct flight at saver level, there will still be saver availability for the SFO-HKG flight, but YMMV. See the blog post that I wrote about this exact tactic for more info.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 8:41 pm

Have you tried if 2 saver seats are available in J? They are still rather comfortable on SQ.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Have you tried if 2 saver seats are available in J? They are still rather comfortable on SQ.
I would also have thought J may be an option, especially in the mini cabin behind F.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:48 am

I have done that once - 2 FC savers, from SFO, although it's to SIN, via HKG.
I booked mine first. About 5 days before my departure date(maybe 4, I don't quite remember), another saver opened up. I think it was almost 6am my time, when I found the seat available. I've also done 2 J savers - a lot easier to secure them, in my opinion.

Good Luck.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 3:45 pm

So for SFO-HKG route, how many 1st saver do they open? Some say only 1 some say 2..
Has anyone ever had any luck getting 3-4 savers?

So SQ does not release all seats for redemption 3-5 days prior to departure like some other competitors?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
I have been able to get 2 F saver HKG-SFO seats a few months ago but have not seen anything months out these days. On the 77W, F is not all that different from C. Assuming your grandma is the typical 92 year old, she won't be missing the bigger TV, PJs or food as those seem to be the main differences.

I have seen up to 4 J award savers on this route.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.