Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ luggage allowance in Y: 20kg + 7 kg only?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver

Hi,

I was surprised to learn that SQ only allows (in Y) a checked luggage of 20kg, plus a hand luggage of 7 kg.

By comparison, AF, which is not a 5 star airline, allows a checked luggage of 23 kg, plus a hand luggage of 12 kg.

How come?
Is SQ very strict concerning the weigh of the luggage?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 3:11 am

Star Alliance Gold should allow you an extra 20kg.
But i think it has to be in the 1 case.
But they won't carry more than 32kg??

maybe someone else can clarify.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 3:46 am

Never seen them checking handluggage except of some India flights, where they try to prevent people boarding with more than one piece or oversized handluggage.

Usually if you keep within 25kg with your check-in baggage it shouldnt be an issue. SQ has weight concept, so the number of luggage doesnt really matter.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQ325
Usually if you keep within 25kg with your check-in baggage it shouldnt be an issue. SQ has weight concept, so the number of luggage doesnt really matter.
ok, that's good. So, we are 2 passengers, one piece of luggage can weigh 23kg, and the other one 17 kg?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:05 am

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
Originally Posted by LY777
ok, that's good. So, we are 2 passengers, one piece of luggage can weigh 23kg, and the other one 17 kg?
Yup, or you could have one bag as 32kg and the other bag as 8kg. It's a total combined weight of 40kg
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:17 am

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by LY777
Hi,

I was surprised to learn that SQ only allows (in Y) a checked luggage of 20kg, plus a hand luggage of 7 kg.

By comparison, AF, which is not a 5 star airline, allows a checked luggage of 23 kg, plus a hand luggage of 12 kg.

How come?
Is SQ very strict concerning the weigh of the luggage?
I believe this has nothing to do with 5* or 4* airline.

SQ allows more than one luggage if they are below 20kg. This plicy has been around for a long time and is being observed by many non-European airlines for routes not touching America.

Air France allows only one luggage of 23kg. As far as I know, this is a new European standard that is being adopted by European airlines like LH too.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Indeed, in Europe, Legacy carriers allow one luggage of up to 23kg, whereas charter Airlines (like Air Mediterranée) allow one luggage of up to 20 kg
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Some key competitors also have 20kg allowances, including CX and TG.

Why 20kg and not 23kg? May because it was originally set up as a metric allowance. 23kg is 23kg only because it is roughly equivalent to the imperial measure of 50lb.

I wouldn't be surprised if SQ are toying with increasing the allowance to 30kg to compete with EK, QF & MH. In some recent (ex-Australia) sales the fares came with 30kg of included baggage. This is, however a market where the competition from EK and QF is most keenly felt.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
I've never had my carry-ons weighed at the counter and there shouldn't be a problem bringing more than one onboard, so the 7kg restriction doesn't really matter. I've never boarded an SQ flight to/from India so I can't comment on those routes.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:27 am

I have had my carry-on bag weighed at both Sydney and Rome airports recently. At Rome, my bag was 8kg and they made me remove 1kg (I'm a KrisFlyer Gold member).
Old Jun 22, 2013, 4:05 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
SQ SIN-India flights typically try to enforce weight rules for both checked and hand-carry bags, although they do allow a bit over 20kgs and 7 kgs respectively,
Old Jun 22, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by dave111
Star Alliance Gold should allow you an extra 20kg.
But i think it has to be in the 1 case.
But they won't carry more than 32kg??

maybe someone else can clarify.
AFAIK the 32 kg limit is a LHR limitation, not SQ's. The same limitation exists for CX. Something to do with health and safety rules in force there.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:21 pm

how strict are other airlines with the 23kg rule? can you still +3 to 5kg from that?

Coz i know for SQ, it is pretty standard to be able to carry up to 23-25kg without charge even you are entiteld to only 20kg
Old Jun 26, 2013, 4:09 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by KACommuter
AFAIK the 32 kg limit is a LHR limitation, not SQ's. The same limitation exists for CX. Something to do with health and safety rules in force there.
I think it's a systemwide policy for SQ. A check in agent in SIN once told me any bag above 23kg will have a "Heavy Bag" tag, though it definitely can't exceed 32kg. Same goes for MH, though I'm not sure about other Asian airlines.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bent
how strict are other airlines with the 23kg rule? can you still +3 to 5kg from that?
No, it is very strict.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.