Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ to cease non-stop flights between SIN & EWR/LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Platinum,SQ, DL, AA, Hyatt

You can read it at Channel News Asia website:

The airline said it will cease non-stop flights between Singapore and Los Angeles and between Singapore and Newark in view of a lack of replacement aircraft in its fleet with "sufficient range and operating economics".

SIA CEO Goh Choon Phong said: "Although (it is) disappointing that we will be halting these services, we remain very committed to the US market. Over the past two years we have increased capacity to both Los Angeles and New York by deploying A380 superjumbos on flights via Tokyo and Frankfurt. We will also continue to explore additional options to enhance our US services,"

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Oct 24, 2012 at 3:22 pm Reason: Copyright issues
Old Oct 24, 2012, 6:14 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
I don't think anyone uses it to commute, but a bunch of us, myself included were glad to add the longest commercial flight to our resume. On my last Asian trip it actually saved me a whole day of flying due to timing.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
No mention of any points in Canada at all.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Platinum,SQ, DL, AA, Hyatt
Well, looks like NYC area will see a reduction in seats if the 77W is permanently replacing the A380.

Unless, of course, as quoted "...we remain very committed to the US market....We will also continue to explore additional options to enhance our US services," we may very well see new route flying into EWR or JFK, maybe from an Asian gateway? HKG? TPE? (wishful thinking )

Anyway, don't want to read too much into it as SQ is predicting a slump in the industry over the next year and they have already freeze hiring of junior cadets.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Does anyone have the end date for EWR/LAX-SIN (non-stop)? Is it safe to assume they are around until the 345s are returned? It's been on my bucket list to fly the 345 and worlds longest flight, seems times 'awasting.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Does anyone have the end date for EWR/LAX-SIN (non-stop)? Is it safe to assume they are around until the 345s are returned? It's been on my bucket list to fly the 345 and worlds longest flight, seems times 'awasting.
The article cites:
As part of the deal, Airbus will take back five of SIA's long-haul A340-500s, which will be removed from service by the fourth quarter of 2013.
So you've got 12 months tops! Otherwise you'll have to do a trip to SYD and come back via DFW on QF's DFW-SYD non-stop, which is currently the third longest non-stop flight.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Exclamation

Does anyone have the end date for EWR/LAX-SIN (non-stop)?
I was wondering the same after I saw that post on Airliners.net

I want to be on board the very last EWR-SIN breaking with my First to Fly habit with new aircraft types.

Last to Fly the Singapore Airlines EWR-SIN A345 world's longest route with 18+ hours of nonstop partying.

I will have to find out the date. I very much doubt they will allow mileage redemption on that very last flight.
Better plan long enough in advance. Should be a good seller.

:-::-::-: :-::-::-:
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Thumbs down

This bad news for me as a LAX based flyer who flies to SIN four times a year.

I really enjoyed the timing of SQ 37/38 and really dislike the timing of SQ 11/12. I guess i'll be using CX unless SQ adds a second LAX flight with better timings.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Thumbs down

(Deleted: Duplicate Post)
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Mine too, but with no award redemption it looks like this is one item that will stay in the bucket . If you make it on one of the last flights PLEASE do a trip report w/ photos for us.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by lokijuh
So you've got 12 months tops!
I have EWR-SIN booked for May 2013. Sounds like it will still be there, although I am going to have to look at a suitable replacement or double booking.

SunLover
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 7Continents
I don't think anyone uses it to commute, but a bunch of us, myself included were glad to add the longest commercial flight to our resume. On my last Asian trip it actually saved me a whole day of flying due to timing.
Here Here! Took the flight this past summer. I took it home from HKG just to be able to say that I was on the worlds longest flight. Was supposed to do it again on Nov 8th but just switched to the JFK flight with a stopover in FRA. Its an amazing feeling to hear the Captain announce the 18 1/2 hour flight time!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:22 pm

Yes, the world will get a bit larger when SIA pulls this service.

I loved the idea, and the knowledge, that for us here in NYC we could head to Newark after work, take one flight, and walk off in Singapore.

I can taste the chili crab as I type.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Also, now an official news release from SQ's website:

http://www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/...s/ne121024.jsp

The termination of nonstop services from SIN to EWR and LAX will be a sad end of an era.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:10 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Didn't EWR services used to be SIN-AMS-EWR? I wonder if they'll keep EWR via a transit point. I bet doing EWR via either PVG or PEK would have good potential if they could get rights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.