Wiki Posts
Search

Is it worth to try the BOOK THE COOK?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lsed
Is there any difference between the Lobster termidor and the other lobster dish (Boston Lobster)?

Recently I was on SIN - MNL in F and I saw 2 lobster options. Seems they are the same thing.

Also they're the same for J and F right?

Cause I had the Termidor in J long ago, recently ordered it in F and it's practically the same. Even the sauce and the rice.
But then I would expect Chicken Rice is the same in J and F too ?

Also for that SIN - MNL flight. I'm so glad I BTCed, cause food on the standard menu seemed really disappointing
It is actually referred to as Lobster Thermidor, and not termidor or thermometer or teminator.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/lobster+thermidors
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:29 pm

Trying to decide for my upcoming SQ1 flight:

Braised guinea fowl with creamy morel sauce, ravioli, and seasonal vegetables
Crab cake with broccoli, baby carrots, fresh asparagus, and roasted potato wedges
New York strip steak with tapenade, green beans, baby carrots, and roasted potatoes
Pan-fried halibut with tagliatelle and pistou and sautéed vegetables
Jumbo shrimps in Thai red curry sauce with assorted vegetables and fried rice noodles
Korean style braised beef rib with vegetables and steamed rice
Steamed fish roll with ham and asparagus served with baby carrots, Chinese greens, and egg noodles
Stir-fried mussels with garlic chilli sauce, assorted vegetables and steamed rice
Singapore Chicken Rice
Toasted multigrain country bread with herb cottage cheese, grilled vegetables and fresh berries low fat yoghurt (Breakfast only)

Any advice? I'm going to HKG but I see Singapore fried rice there, and it's plenty available in the Bay Area too. No need to try that unless you guys think it's that awesome. Of course I'll be -___- wondering about how it costs dirt cheap even in the US.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by dmo580

Crab cake with broccoli, baby carrots, fresh asparagus, and roasted potato wedges
New York strip steak with tapenade, green beans, baby carrots, and roasted potatoes
Jumbo shrimps in Thai red curry sauce with assorted vegetables and fried rice noodles
Steamed fish roll with ham and asparagus served with baby carrots, Chinese greens, and egg noodles
Stir-fried mussels with garlic chilli sauce, assorted vegetables and steamed rice
Singapore Chicken Rice
Toasted multigrain country bread with herb cottage cheese, grilled vegetables and fresh berries low fat yoghurt (Breakfast only)

Any advice? I'm going to HKG but I see Singapore fried rice there, and it's plenty available in the Bay Area too. No need to try that unless you guys think it's that awesome. Of course I'll be -___- wondering about how it costs dirt cheap even in the US.
The crab cakes and jumbo shrimps are not bad.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by dmo580

Singapore Chicken Rice

Singapore Chicken Rice...it is a national dish, nothing beats eating it 35000 feet above ground.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by anaidross
Singapore Chicken Rice...it is a national dish, nothing beats eating it 35000 feet above ground.
I like chicken rice, especially good chicken rice, but to pre-order a <S$5 dish for F dining strikes me as odd.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I like chicken rice, especially good chicken rice, but to pre-order a <S$5 dish for F dining strikes me as odd.
I presume the op is requesting for a recommendation for something that is delicious and not what is most expensive.

Further chicken rice costs a few times more than the mentioned SGD5. A case in point is what restaurants like Chatterbox charges (although they are not necessary better than the less than SGD5 offered in the hawker centers I must add...).

In any case, I always find the contrast to be so interesting, enjoying such a humble, but delicious, hawker dish in a premium class cabin.

I also find the accompanying ginger, black sauce and chilli to be much more fragant up there in the sky somehow.

Steak, lobster, fish, lamb and shrimps can be enjoyed in other airlines. But Singapore chicken rice, as far as I know with my limited travel experience, is only available in SQ.

Last edited by anaidross; Mar 21, 2013 at 8:10 pm
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I presume the op is requesting for a recommendation for something that is delicious and not what is most expensive.

Further chicken rice costs a few times more than the mentioned SGD5. A case in point is what restaurants like Chatterbox charges (although they are not necessary better than the less than SGD5 offered in the hawker centers I must add...).

In any case, I always find the contrast to be so interesting, enjoying such a humble, but delicious, hawker dish in a premium class cabin.

I also find the accompanying ginger, black sauce and chilli to be much more fragant up there in the sky somehow.

Steak, lobster, fish, lamb and shrimps can be enjoyed in other airlines. But Singapore chicken rice, as far as I know with my limited travel experience, is only available in SQ.
My comment was not meant as an advocate to choosing the most expensive dish. And the quality of chicken rice is not the in the goodness of the articles in the name but rather the accompanying sauce... so I'm in agreement that the fragrance and piquant nature of the sauce makes the dish.

To me the dish is best served as street food, don't think I'd even eat it in a resto.

Trying to decide upon our dishes for an upcoming trip and tend to steer clear of shrimp/lobster because they're just too often overcooked and rubbery.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:26 am

Heard that the Chicken Rice out of SFO is not that good....
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:16 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
It is actually referred to as Lobster Thermidor, and not termidor or thermometer or teminator.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/lobster+thermidors
Had this on flight to HK on Fri , it was better than the previous time the family ordered it. Will order again. Seems menu changed.
Can't recall the MAN ones tho'.. Didn't make a note
Chicken rice has been ordered by other rather picky family members too & the times they did, passed muster
Perhaps was BTC out of SIN?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by ycp81
Heard that the Chicken Rice out of SFO is not that good....
lol im quite confident being from SFO, you can find good Chicken Rice in the area. It might not be Singapore good, but I'm pretty sure it will beat anything you can preorder on a plane. So that's why I rule out ordering the chicken rice... unless you're totally unfamiliar with finding good Asian food in your area
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:41 am

I am trying to book the hawker meal "Yu Pian Mi Fen" for a flight departing from Singapore in J class.

When I tried selecting the meal via "Manage My Trip - Manage Booking" on SQ's web-site, I could not find this meal option on the "Book the Cook" category.

Is the meal called something else in the book the cook category?
Old Mar 29, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, M&C Gold
I am trying to book the hawker meal "Yu Pian Mi Fen" for a flight departing from Singapore in J class.

When I tried selecting the meal via "Manage My Trip - Manage Booking" on SQ's web-site, I could not find this meal option on the "Book the Cook" category.

Is the meal called something else in the book the cook category?
What time is the flight and how long? Any night departure / early morning before 8am, there is only breakfast BTC options, and there may be limited BTC for very short flights.

Otherwise, it may be a website problem and you can call Krisflyer to BTC.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by planetshakers
What time is the flight and how long? Any night departure / early morning before 8am, there is only breakfast BTC options, and there may be limited BTC for very short flights.

Otherwise, it may be a website problem and you can call Krisflyer to BTC.
I think it has nothing to do with the flight. I can choose meals like chicken rice, duck yam rice, chicken / lamb satay, laksa and even lobster thermidor.

I think it is a web-site problem. I guess I must make a call.

Thanks for the tip.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 5:46 pm

I just received news from SQ.

They told me that even though a meal is available at the departing station (in this case is Singapore), that meal may not necessarily be available on that flight. Everything that is available is shown on the drop-down menu.

So in this case, Yu Pian Mi Fen or even the sliced grouper congee is not available for the a red eye flight to Japan even though the flight departs from Singapore.

Is the call centre trying to smoke me out? Could someone please help check if these two options are even available in your booking?

MAny thanks.

Last edited by anaidross; Mar 31, 2013 at 5:51 pm
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
What is the rationale for not having BTC out of ICN?

:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.