Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by FN-GM
Nope. It is served by the A380. These have Suites.
Im referring to the lax-nrt post switch to the 777. are they changing the flights numbers too?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 4:46 am
IHG 5+ Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
I'm interested in learning about redeeming 2x First/Suites Saver 1-way tickets to Europe, and would appreciate any recommendations for what is the best option for me to take, since I am new to redeeming flights with miles

-Im up 104,000 Krisflyer Miles at the moment and would need about 80,000 more.
-This would probably be for Europe somewhere end 2017 or early 2018
-I have no krisflyer/solitare pps/one world status

I understand that saver redemption is subject to some sort of "waitlist". My intention is to use the first class redemptions on my honeymoon (1-way x 2 tix) and coming back in economy. There is a risk here (hotels & trip prebooked etc) that my waitlist won't be cleared. In this case :

1. What would be the best ways to increase my chances of the waitlist clearing for me ?
2. What is the best aircraft type for a redemption to Europe ?
3. What is the best airport to fly to for my First Class redemption ? (e.g. Paris CDG / London LHR)
4. What is the best way for me to go about this ? (e.g. booking an open economy ticket in case my waitlist doesent clear for the flight ex SIN)
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jedicat666
I'm interested in learning about redeeming 2x First/Suites Saver 1-way tickets to Europe, and would appreciate any recommendations for what is the best option for me to take, since I am new to redeeming flights with miles

-Im up 104,000 Krisflyer Miles at the moment and would need about 80,000 more.
-This would probably be for Europe somewhere end 2017 or early 2018
-I have no krisflyer/solitare pps/one world status

I understand that saver redemption is subject to some sort of "waitlist". My intention is to use the first class redemptions on my honeymoon (1-way x 2 tix) and coming back in economy. There is a risk here (hotels & trip prebooked etc) that my waitlist won't be cleared. In this case :

1. What would be the best ways to increase my chances of the waitlist clearing for me ?
2. What is the best aircraft type for a redemption to Europe ?
3. What is the best airport to fly to for my First Class redemption ? (e.g. Paris CDG / London LHR)
4. What is the best way for me to go about this ? (e.g. booking an open economy ticket in case my waitlist doesent clear for the flight ex SIN)
As this is so far out I think your best bet would be to be flexible on dates and book as seats are released 355(?) days in advance thereby avoiding the waitlist entirely.
Good luck!
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:45 am
IHG 5+ Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by w4rd
As this is so far out I think your best bet would be to be flexible on dates and book as seats are released 355(?) days in advance thereby avoiding the waitlist entirely.
Good luck!
Whoa, this is news to me. Definitely a good option in my case. Will it be cancellable though ?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jedicat666
Whoa, this is news to me. Definitely a good option in my case. Will it be cancellable though ?
Yes for only a very small fee.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: Skypass, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Asiana, Krisflyer, Etihad Guest, Velocity Rewards
I am travelling on SQ 212 from Sydney to Singapore July 15, in Y on a 777-300. Is there anyway to tell if this is a refitted aircraft?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:26 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Vidic15
I am travelling on SQ 212 from Sydney to Singapore July 15, in Y on a 777-300. Is there anyway to tell if this is a refitted aircraft?
Unfortunately, from the logs it doesn't appear to be served by one of the refitted planes. But you might get lucky on the day itself with a subbed plane, who knows?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 4:09 am

Has anyone here figured out the pattern in terms of when SQ releases its saver awards? I have been monitoring the SFO-HKG and the JFK-HKG routes. Looks like it releases the saver awards in waitlist first, then some hours or days later the true saver awards show up. I am just wondering if anyone here smart enough to figure the pattern.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:09 pm

Is date change free of charge, no? Or was I doing it wrong?
I had a confirmed jfk-syd (Nov 2) flight in one booking (record locator) and waitlisted jfk-syd (Oct 4) flight in another booking. The latter became available, so I called in to change the date of the existing flight but two agents I spoke with told me that they had to cancel the existing reservation and then reissue the new itinerary for $30. It's only 30 per change but if I change my itinerary multiple times, it accumulates quickly and I'll have to change my strategy. Was I supposed to waitlist another flights in the same (existing) booking reference as opposed to creating a separate booking to waitlist ?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by patrickfungusa
Has anyone here figured out the pattern in terms of when SQ releases its saver awards? I have been monitoring the SFO-HKG and the JFK-HKG routes. Looks like it releases the saver awards in waitlist first, then some hours or days later the true saver awards show up. I am just wondering if anyone here smart enough to figure the pattern.
I've seen saver awards available for a few days before it became waitlist. I thought someone took the available award while I was transferring miles.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 6:06 pm
THR

Hello all,

So we are soon to be lucky enough to have around 400,000 KF miles, which we intend to use for a European holiday (most likely late 2017, or more likely in 2018). Ideally we are wanting to book F, and our dates will be somewhat flexible, so we will wait for Saver seats to be released.

Our trip is from SYD and we will probably fly into FRA or ZRH.

The purpose of my query is: is it easy to add on another leg - say to return via the US - rather than directly back from one of those locations? We will likely have four or so weeks overall.

This is the first time we will have redeemed via KF, having transferred from being predominately Skywards.

Any information appreciated on best method of redeeming/route to fly in this scenario.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Vidic15
Flew on this flight (SQ212) on the 3rd July on it was a 777-300ER
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by THR
Hello all,

So we are soon to be lucky enough to have around 400,000 KF miles, which we intend to use for a European holiday (most likely late 2017, or more likely in 2018). Ideally we are wanting to book F, and our dates will be somewhat flexible, so we will wait for Saver seats to be released.

Our trip is from SYD and we will probably fly into FRA or ZRH.

The purpose of my query is: is it easy to add on another leg - say to return via the US - rather than directly back from one of those locations? We will likely have four or so weeks overall.

This is the first time we will have redeemed via KF, having transferred from being predominately Skywards.

Any information appreciated on best method of redeeming/route to fly in this scenario.
To fly back to SYD from Europe via the US on SQ, you'd need to take SQ26 FRA-JFK, and then make your own way to LAX or SFO. From there, route through ICN/HKG/NRT and SIN. You'd book these as a series of one-way awards SYD-SIN-FRA/ZRH, FRA-JFK, (paid connecting flight), SFO/LAX-ICN/HKG/NRT-SIN.

(And I'm not sure if you know this already, but one-way awards on SQ are exactly half the points cost of return awards.)

You could get a *A award that includes the JFK-SFO/LAX leg on UA, but you'd lose the 15% online Krisflyer discount as this has to be done over the phone.

Alternatively, you could redeem a pair of *A round-the-world tickets, but the cost will exceed your 400k miles (I'm assuming "we" = 2 pax) and I believe to book SQ's premium cabins as part of the RTW obnoxiously incurs further costs.

Not sure why you'd want to do this, but it seems like a lot of hassle (time and money) over simply backtracking on your return.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
What the best way to get a few points, (like 10). I really don't want to have to waste by transferring over a full 1k. thx.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:24 am
THR

Originally Posted by cowie
To fly back to SYD from Europe via the US on SQ, you'd need to take SQ26 FRA-JFK, and then make your own way to LAX or SFO. From there, route through ICN/HKG/NRT and SIN. You'd book these as a series of one-way awards SYD-SIN-FRA/ZRH, FRA-JFK, (paid connecting flight), SFO/LAX-ICN/HKG/NRT-SIN.

(And I'm not sure if you know this already, but one-way awards on SQ are exactly half the points cost of return awards.)

You could get a *A award that includes the JFK-SFO/LAX leg on UA, but you'd lose the 15% online Krisflyer discount as this has to be done over the phone.

Alternatively, you could redeem a pair of *A round-the-world tickets, but the cost will exceed your 400k miles (I'm assuming "we" = 2 pax) and I believe to book SQ's premium cabins as part of the RTW obnoxiously incurs further costs.

Not sure why you'd want to do this, but it seems like a lot of hassle (time and money) over simply backtracking on your return.

Thanks for that. I did some more research and realised it is best just to do Europe return and forget US. Appreciate your feedback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.