Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by Redgie
Currently booked to fly MAN-SIN return later this year, but due to the IAH-MAN route, the seats have all been blocked off. As such I'm unable to pick a seat (doing a dummy booking IAH-MAN-SIN shows lots of seats available) and am wondering how long before the flight the seats are likely to be made available to those only travelling MAN-SIN?

Thanks !
How did you book the flight?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I'm trying to redeem NYC to singapore in suites but there does not seem to be much availability. Would I be better off taking a positioning flight and then redeeming an award from LAX-SIN with a stopover in NRT? Is that an easier redemption to obtain? I've done LAX-NRT and JFK-FRA in suites, but now I want to get go on to singapore. If no slots to waitlist are showing am I pretty much dead in the water or can they still open up close in? I'm looking towards end of june-early july.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by FN-GM
How did you book the flight?
Directly with Singapore via the website
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
Currently booked to fly MAN-SIN return later this year, but due to the IAH-MAN route, the seats have all been blocked off. As such I'm unable to pick a seat (doing a dummy booking IAH-MAN-SIN shows lots of seats available) and am wondering how long before the flight the seats are likely to be made available to those only travelling MAN-SIN?

Thanks !
I would say start checking everyday, 7 days out. As it gets closer, check even more frequently. Recent experience from a status-less friend showed that SQ actually released seats in batches about 4 days out for him. He had initially selected a bunch of seats but 1 hour later checked back and even more (better) seats were released.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
I'm trying to redeem NYC to singapore in suites but there does not seem to be much availability. Would I be better off taking a positioning flight and then redeeming an award from LAX-SIN with a stopover in NRT? Is that an easier redemption to obtain? I've done LAX-NRT and JFK-FRA in suites, but now I want to get go on to singapore. If no slots to waitlist are showing am I pretty much dead in the water or can they still open up close in? I'm looking towards end of june-early july.
No more A380 on LAX-SIN route.

This is covered by 2 777-300's now with one stopping via NRT and the other via ICN.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:26 pm

Thanks !
T-96 hours to departure. You will see seats open up. Some Bulkhead seats also become available for some so do set your alarm for the timing.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Mlee888
No more A380 on LAX-SIN route.

This is covered by 2 777-300's now with one stopping via NRT and the other via ICN.
Oh wow good to know. I forgot they were making that change. This would probably explain why there seems to be no availability jfk to singapore, since those seats are more in demand now. If there is no option to waitlist a seat in suites for JFK-SIN round trip for mid-late June does that mean that the ability to snag one of those seats is just not going to happen or will the option pop up closer in?

Last edited by Red259; Apr 26, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:57 am

I think it's hard to say. Many people out there know the 'trick' of waitlisting several flights hoping one will clear. When these clear, they cancel their other waitlists and these cancelled flights should then reappear in the system for others to snap up.

Of course the other variable factor is revenue bookings. These will definitely be prioritized and should there be revenue paying customers snapping up the seats, even if you managed to get waitlisted, your waitlist won't clear.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:15 am

Oh wow good to know. I forgot they were making that change. This would probably explain why there seems to be no availability jfk to singapore, since those seats are more in demand now. If there is no option to waitlist a seat in suites for JFK-SIN round trip for mid-late June does that mean that the ability to snag one of those seats is just not going to happen or will the option pop up closer in?
Should saver wait list been closed, i would let it go and find alternative.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:55 pm

Since I am not seeing many chances to waitlist for suites class on NYC-SIN roundtrip I am wondering how SQ J is? The suites class will cost a tremendous amount of points and I still might not be able to snag a seat. I have flown suites class four times, although never into/out of singapore so I only know suites class. How does business class stack up? Is it worth me just saving the points and going for J?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:08 am

How does business class stack up? Is it worth me just saving the points and going for J?
I think it is as good as Business Class gets. Definitely no issues at all with flying J. Of course it will be inferior to Suites, so you cannot expect the same.

The A380 from JFK will have the older 2006 product, but it is lie-flat and still an excellent product. If it's not a hassle, I would recommend flying the newer 2013 J out from any other US destination that SQ serves. In my opinion it is a better seat, although some have issues with the 'cubby hole', especially on the A350.

There are a ton of trip reports out there on SQ's business class; quite a lot of people aspire to be able to fly it.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by pokfur
I think it is as good as Business Class gets. Definitely no issues at all with flying J. Of course it will be inferior to Suites, so you cannot expect the same.

The A380 from JFK will have the older 2006 product, but it is lie-flat and still an excellent product. If it's not a hassle, I would recommend flying the newer 2013 J out from any other US destination that SQ serves. In my opinion it is a better seat, although some have issues with the 'cubby hole', especially on the A350.

There are a ton of trip reports out there on SQ's business class; quite a lot of people aspire to be able to fly it.
Do they fly the 2013 J out of any airports near NYC?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:43 am

Do they fly the 2013 J out of any airports near NYC?
Define near? Other than JFK, SQ flies to Houston, San Fran, and LA. Not sure if it's the new seat on Houston route but they used the new seats for both SFO and LAX.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by Mlee888
Define near? Other than JFK, SQ flies to Houston, San Fran, and LA. Not sure if it's the new seat on Houston route but they used the new seats for both SFO and LAX.
It is also on the Houston route.

I wouldn't bother traveling across the country just for the new seats.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by FN-GM
It is also on the Houston route.

I wouldn't bother traveling across the country just for the new seats.
Yea the only reason I might travel across country is if I can't find any business awards for NYC-SIN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.