Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SIA "Priority Boarding" - Krisflyer Elite Gold & Star Alliance Gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KF EG, HHonors Diamond, PP

Interesting thread started by "SQ380" over at SQTalk forum....

So nice to be gold - No showers in lounge, no priority lanes...wat's next, pay for alchohol?

I refer to ST Forum Online, and its recent articles pertaining to "Priority Boarding" for SIA's Krisflyer Elite Gold and Star Alliance Gold tier members.

Link: http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/...ry_807022.html

And

Link: http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/...ry_808702.html

It is apparent that SIA's Public Communications and Media Affairs Department remains silent and has failed to inform its Krisflyer Elite Gold and the Star Alliance Gold members who would be affected by a supposedly "ongoing trial" at selected airports - hopefully aimed at enhancing our travel experience. Apparently, during this time, we would still be welcome to board with priority, but at normal (not priority) designated lanes.

Communication platforms for SIA are aplenty. Krisflyer members could be updated via the monthly e-Newsletters and the krisflyer.com website. Star Alliance Gold members and the travelling community could have been communicated of this via the "News Alerts" on the infamous singaporeair.com website. For the larger tech-savvy audience, communications could be through social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. However, to the dismay of many Krisflyer Elite Gold and Star Alliance Gold members, nothing has been communicated to-date by the airline.

At this moment, it seems that SIA is not aligned with the "benefits" as stipulated under its own Krisflyer program, which has been mapped to the Star Alliance framework.

a) Star Alliance website
http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...ilver-status/; and*

b) Krisflyer brochure https://www.singaporeair.com/pdf/pps...efitsGuide.pdf

Is the airline now signaling to its Krisflyer Elite Gold and Star Alliance Gold members that they are no longer as relevant today, than compared to the past, and are more discriminated today, when compared to PPS and Solitare members?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by Andice
I refer to ST Forum Online, and its recent articles pertaining to "Priority Boarding" for SIA's Krisflyer Elite Gold and Star Alliance Gold tier members.

Link: http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/...ry_807022.html

And

Link: http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/...ry_808702.html
Can OP please paste the content of the article? I could unfortunately not access the link. Thank you.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KF EG, HHonors Diamond, PP
Originally Posted by anaidross
Can OP please paste the content of the article? I could unfortunately not access the link. Thank you.
"WE THANK Mr Tan Beng Keat for his feedback ('Reinstate separate boarding privilege'; Tuesday), which he also sent to us. We have been in touch with him to address his concerns.

While KrisFlyer Elite Gold and Star Alliance Gold passengers travelling in economy class now board in the same lane as other economy-class customers, they will still have boarding priority and be invited to board ahead of other customers in the same class.

This change in boarding lanes was introduced in recent months at selected airports as part of a trial. Depending on the results, we will make the necessary adjustments to our boarding process.

Xavier Lim

Divisional Vice-President Customer Services

Singapore Airlines

LIKE Mr Allen Tan ('SIA has become complacent'; May 23), I am a frequent flier on Singapore Airlines (SIA), and have renewed my Elite Gold status for many years.

I was stunned that priority boarding for Elite Gold and Star Alliance Gold passengers has ceased to exist. The elite members now board in the same lane as economy-class passengers.

This suggests that SIA is not aligned with the 'benefits' stipulated under its own KrisFlyer programme, which has been mapped to the Star Alliance framework. Clearly, departures from these 'benefits' are something I would not expect from a key partner of the Star Alliance network.

What are the revised benefits of the KrisFlyer programme and how are they more attractive and rewarding than rival programmes?

How will frequent fliers benefit as their membership tier progresses, from KrisFlyer to Elite Silver, and finally Elite Gold. Most importantly, are these KrisFlyer benefits aimed at being aligned with those prescribed under Star Alliance?

Tan Beng Keat"
Old Jun 13, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
So what I take from this is Golds get the opportunity to board first ahead of other economy passengers, but if you miss that first boarding call, you just get to board with all the other economy passengers?

So it will have an effect on those who reach the gate somewhere between boarding starting and the last few people. In some ways not too much difference to now - if you are not at the gate at the start of boarding (ie join the queues half way through), even if you use the priority lane, once you hit the airbridge you hit a wall of people (queue) waiting to board through Door B anyway.

I find the most effective painless form of boarding is to be in the last dozen or so people to board. No queues at all then regardless of priority or not!
Old Jun 14, 2012, 2:16 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
My experience with Air China *G priority boarding or coach is that you actually board with the economy line but that there is a separate lane to filter you in ahead of the normal line and the gate agents are very very good at handling priority pax first when they show up.

If AC can do this efficiently without fuss in China for domestic travel I'd like to think it's not a problem for SQ.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:50 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by fimo
My experience with Air China *G priority boarding or coach is that you actually board with the economy line but that there is a separate lane to filter you in ahead of the normal line and the gate agents are very very good at handling priority pax first when they show up.

If AC can do this efficiently without fuss in China for domestic travel I'd like to think it's not a problem for SQ.
CA, not AC.

There are a few things that are normal for most airlines that SQ is unwilling/incapable of doing, like scheduling flights to any given destination to depart and arrive at the same terminal at Changi. And building a website that works.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:54 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
And giving out amenity kits in J...
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:19 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by fimo

I'm not sure what you mean by "board with the economy line". At PEK and several outstations, there's the STAR ALLIANCE | GOLD logo below the Business Class sign at the gate (meaning you board from the other side of the gate desk, not with the Y pax). And at PEK, for the automated boarding announcements, it invites Star Alliance Gold members to board with Business Class.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:59 am

SQ is clearly sending a message that they "believe" (incorrectly) that because they "used to be" the premier airline in S*, they don't have to follow the general practices of othe airlines in alliance. Because of the general arrogance of SQ, my flights will be transferred to other carriers immediately. This indifference by SQ is ultimately going to hurt their bottom line. Service is still better on SQ in the air, but that has slipped significantly over the past 2 years. At best, it is inconsistent from one flight to another.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
I'm not sure what you mean by "board with the economy line". At PEK and several outstations, there's the STAR ALLIANCE | GOLD logo below the Business Class sign at the gate (meaning you board from the other side of the gate desk, not with the Y pax). And at PEK, for the automated boarding announcements, it invites Star Alliance Gold members to board with Business Class.
I mean exactly what I wrote - I don't fly Air China internationally, so I only speak of domestic travel as I am now based PEK, but oftentimes there's only the one queue for boarding.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 1:33 am

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
Originally Posted by cmdsea
And giving out amenity kits in J...
I'm flying Singapore in Business soon & I'm used to getting amenity kits when I fly business, so I don't pack certain things in my carry on -- but this is not the case on Singapore?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:41 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rlbmorton
I'm flying Singapore in Business soon & I'm used to getting amenity kits when I fly business, so I don't pack certain things in my carry on -- but this is not the case on Singapore?
Business Class passengers on SQ do not receive an amenity kit.

You will receive an eye mask and slippers. Toothbrush kits, shaving kits & combs are found in the bathrooms
Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:41 am

Nope, they only give out cabin 'socks & slippers hybrid' and a eye mask.

WLG Base, you beat me to it!
Old Jun 19, 2012, 3:37 am

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
Originally Posted by lowjhg
Nope, they only give out cabin 'socks & slippers hybrid' and a eye mask.

WLG Base, you beat me to it!
Interesting airline, lets me order food in advance, which I am not used to, but doesn't have the amenities I am used to. I'm looking forward to seeing what the experience is like!
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:37 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Interesting airline, lets me order food in advance, which I am not used to, but doesn't have the amenities I am used to. I'm looking forward to seeing what the experience is like!
It will probably have most of the amenities you are used to, just you won't be handed them. Earplugs are available on request. Toilets are kept well stocked with toothbrushes, toothpaste, shaving kits, EDT, body lotion, mouthwash. No mist sprays though and no amenities bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.