Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight oversold?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Flight oversold?

Mrs and I are booked on SQ365 FCO-SIN on June 24 in business class on Aeroplan award. I am looking at the flight now, and looks like they do not sell tickets on it any more in any class. Seat map shows full in business, with every seat assigned. We also have assigned seats.

Does it look like the flight is oversold?

What are the possible scenarios if it is in fact oversold? We absolutely have to be in SIN the next morning. Is there a possibility SQ will involuntary bump or reroute us?
Old May 28, 2012, 4:00 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
SQ always shows (at least for Y class) a full seatplan... not sure what the logic is but it seems that they assign all the seats to the available tickets.

But as soon as OLCI is open, you see lots of free seats to chose from....
Old May 28, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
To be honest I wouldn't worry. SQ are fairly good at managing their inventory and I really haven't heard of too many cases of people being bumped from their flights (I haven't personally heard of anyone being bumped but IIRC I have read about a couple of instances). It seems that for SQ (and many Asian carriers), overselling/bumping doesn't happen as often or to the same magnitude as it does with North American carriers.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Once I was on a SQ flight that they told me was overbooked/oversold at check in. I don't know what happened or how it was resolved as I didn't notice any signs of VDB/IDB at the gate. I also never sensed that I was at risk of either IDB or a downgrade, despite traveling on an award ticket using DL miles at the very end of the partnership.
Old May 29, 2012, 1:03 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Once I was on a SQ flight that they told me was overbooked/oversold at check in. I don't know what happened or how it was resolved as I didn't notice any signs of VDB/IDB at the gate. I also never sensed that I was at risk of either IDB or a downgrade, despite traveling on an award ticket using DL miles at the very end of the partnership.
They will normally kick those people who come late for check in...
Old May 30, 2012, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by echino
Mrs and I are booked on SQ365 FCO-SIN on June 24 in business class on Aeroplan award. I am looking at the flight now, and looks like they do not sell tickets on it any more in any class. Seat map shows full in business, with every seat assigned. We also have assigned seats.

Does it look like the flight is oversold?

What are the possible scenarios if it is in fact oversold? We absolutely have to be in SIN the next morning. Is there a possibility SQ will involuntary bump or reroute us?
You'll fly on your scheduled flight as planned.
SQ rarely oversells and even if they do, it's only in economy. And still nobody gets op up'd to J either.
Old May 31, 2012, 7:13 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
SQ rarely oversells and even if they do, it's only in economy. And still nobody gets op up'd to J either.
I was under the impression that they rarely oversell, but if they do then surely they would op-up the handful of persons to J before IDB-ing them, no?

Of course if J was oversold then I doubt people would be spilled over to Suites though....
Old May 31, 2012, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Not true. I was on SQ324 to AMS 2 years ago, which was oversold by 1 pax in C. At check-in I was prepared to downgrade against cash compenation but SQ offered only SGD 1.000 (as I remember it) which I (obviously) declined. Somehow it was solved coz I did see any IDB at the gate.

Last edited by SK AAR; May 31, 2012 at 12:38 pm
Old May 31, 2012, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by echino
Is there a possibility SQ will involuntary bump or reroute us?
Highly unlikely. Check-in early and you will be safe. If VDB is needed, they will look for volunteers first; that will solve the problem.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:49 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, IHG Diamond, GHA Titanium
You'll fly on your scheduled flight as planned.
I was op-up'd once SIN-CPT from Y to J due to overselling, apparently it was vacation period for South Africans.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Highly unlikely. Check-in early and you will be safe. If VDB is needed, they will look for volunteers first; that will solve the problem.
Say they're oversold in econ. Nobody agrees to get offloaded voluntarily for cash or other compensation. What do they do (assuming they have free J seats on that flight? Dump someone forcefully or upgrade 1 pax to J?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by aster
Say they're oversold in econ. Nobody agrees to get offloaded voluntarily for cash or other compensation. What do they do (assuming they have free J seats on that flight? Dump someone forcefully or upgrade 1 pax to J?
Upgrade to J.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Only in case of IRROP

So you wouldn't be able to know so long in advance.
I have had a couple of flights, typically regional, where a late connection means that passengers are rebooked on a later flight leading to an overbooked flight.

In such case (happened to me 3 times), SQ will look for volunteers with printed offers at the checking desk. Every time, they have been lucky enough to accommodate all passengers and not require any IDB (at least not from me).

After waiting at the T2 Starbucks for a while and returning at the specified time (45 minutes before departure time), I was upgraded on two occasions and thanked profusely for my flexibility and offer to help.

Ironically, I have been upgraded only once on a BKK-SIN otherwise and that must have been 10 over years ago (as a then PPS).
Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
OP can you report back as to what happened on day of travel?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
OP can you report back as to what happened on day of travel?
That was two years ago. Flight was full, but we got our assigned seats in business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.