Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Considering a switch from Air Canada to SQ mile program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2012, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Allliance (Gold) AC

Hello,

I am an Air Canada Aeroplan *G member for many years now.

I am considering changing programs. We really like SQ and tend to travel to Asia more than Europe.

Any thoughts on the program -Pro's and Con's?

Thanks,

Carl
Old May 11, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by la_canuck
Hello,

I am an Air Canada Aeroplan *G member for many years now.

I am considering changing programs. We really like SQ and tend to travel to Asia more than Europe.

Any thoughts on the program -Pro's and Con's?

Thanks,

Carl
Before making the change be sure to check out SQ's redemption rates - they are higher than AC and other *A airlines. Also their routing rules on redemptions on SQ (not really sure about *A) are very stringent - i.e. most direct route only. Also all but "flexi" Y fares earn no or reduced miles and only these higher Y fares are upgradeable. If you earn some of your miles via credit card spend make sure you can get a Canadian issued card that allows miles to be transferred to SQ. Finally check this thread's FAQs if you are seeking status on SQ, you can still do that by flying SQ while banking miles earned to another program.
Old May 12, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by la_canuck
..We really like SQ and tend to travel to Asia more than Europe..
What has that to do with the program?

The only use for non PPS flyers to stack KrisFlyer miles is to waitlist upgrades and to get a better shot at the occasional saver C and F awards. Or if you live here and have no sensible other CC options.

At least these are my miserable excuses to maintain some SQ miles.
Old May 12, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
SQ is my favorite airline and would fly them whenever I can although they tend to be slightly more expensive than others. Great equipment and excellent service. You will not go wrong with SQ.

Disclaimer: I do not work for SQ or affilicated in anyway. Just a happy krisflyer..
Old May 12, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by travelsg
SQ is my favorite airline and would fly them whenever I can although they tend to be slightly more expensive than others. Great equipment and excellent service. You will not go wrong with SQ..
That is all fine and dandy and I know a handful people who do like the SingAir inflight product.

A lot less people like their FFP though and unless you plan to use the miserable MI ever so often, there is very little reason to collect with KrisFlyer. That is of you do not fly C or F.
Old May 12, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I think it boils down to how many miles you can accrue each year on SQ. If you can generate 50k status miles and make Gold then great.

I'm currently looking at an FFP to focus on and it seems like I'll have to ditch M&M due to their ridiculous mileage-accrual revamp (mayhem in econ, mayhem in biz...), so no chance at Gold here. Then again I can't see myself earning 50k on SQ as I have so many miles to burn before I start paying for flights, so no chance of Gold here either...
Old May 13, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Some advice: take onboard advice you get on FT, but ultimately do the hard yards and work out what is best for you based on your travel pattern, goals (status, certain types of redemptions) and preferred redemptions.

When comparing I do the calculations and plug the information into a spreadsheet based on how many points I will earn from my most likely travel pattern, the status I want to achieve (if any) and what sort of flights I want to redeem, and the amount of taxes you need to pay on redemptions. Then it might be clear which program is best and the choice will be obvious (or it might not be clear, in which case it probably doesn't matter, but then may be worth looking at intangibles such as ability to waitlist for redemptions, fees for changing redemptions, etc).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.