Wiki Posts
Search

OpUp for *gold success rate

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I have stopped flying SQ, and prefer TG, LH and LX. They have better Operational Upgrades. SQ is just a waste of time, besides them saying, 'certainly" all the time on board. Certainly to everything onboard except operational upgrades.

No airline regularly gives out op-ups. If you want to fly in a better cabin then pay for it.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 1:35 am

Went for a holiday at Kyushu, Japan last year, and bought return Economy tickets with 50% miles earn rate. For the outbound flight, economy was full, and they gave me a op-up at the gate. There was a beep when the gate agent scanned my pass, and he asked me to wait by the side, and another gate agent swapped it for a Biz class pass. It was a red-eye, so it was a treat to get some good sleep on a lie-flat bed.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:31 am

I've been flying SQ for a while now as an elite.

The only time was when I was flying out of SIN. I was due to fly economy at the time and while I was waiting at the gate, the gate agent paged my name. I couldn't believe what I was hearing and I thought to myself "holy crap, this has finally happened to me on SQ".

So I walked up to the agent, probably the happiest I've been in my life, ready to receive the blue boarding pass.

Only to be assigned new seat in Y instead... (worst of all, they gave me an exit row next to a baby)
Old Feb 28, 2016, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer

No airline regularly gives out op-ups. If you want to fly in a better cabin then pay for it.
I definitely agree with this comment, that you should pay for premium travel if you want it.

However, my experience on CX was that I've received upgrades so often, almost 50% of the time. The only caveat is, the upgrades are usually intra-asia so it's almost useless.

I also definitely had flights where I was 100% sure I'd get upgraded (say overbooked in Y, me booked in PEY with J not full, DM status, BN 001 when that mattered), only for my boarding pass to flash green and I'd be waived through.

So I definitely agree that paying for it is the only way. It just feels different walking to the F counter after you have a confirmed booking, compared to going on J, hoping for an op up to F (or worst still, Y to J).
Old Feb 28, 2016, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond

Absolutely agree, OP-UP's occur when the airline oversells, I don't think my post suggests airline give free op-ups all the time.

Your eyes must really hurt, stop rolling them!

Last edited by djjaguar64; Feb 28, 2016 at 6:36 am
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, EK, FB, SPG

Only on long haul international flights at least.
My philosophy is that if you want to fly in a particular cabin, pay for it; be it miles or cash. Domestically in the US, upgrades are common for elite flyers, but that's not really a surprise given a, the price differentials for F on domestic flights are typically small, b, the product is generally fairly disappointing.
Personally speaking, being a current GGL member in Executive Club, my op-up percentages J-F have been pretty good, in the 30% range, but I should note, I am typically booked in F(70% of the time).
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by mitwg
However, my experience on CX was that I've received upgrades so often, almost 50% of the time. The only caveat is, the upgrades are usually intra-asia so it's almost useless.
Oh I never feel that way, even intra-asia I've had quite a few between MNL & SIN on SQ over the last few years, and always happy to have one on a 3.5 hr sector, never felt they are useless.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by mitwg
Only to be assigned new seat in Y instead... (worst of all, they gave me an exit row next to a baby)
Singapore Airlines allows babies to fly in the exit row? Or Singapore regulations in general allow this? I'm very surprised.

-RM
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Singapore Airlines allows babies to fly in the exit row? Or Singapore regulations in general allow this? I'm very surprised.

-RM
It was the exit row but more of a bulkhead. This was on the 773 config and it was the first row of the last cabin.

Technically it is an exit row but it's separated by a galley/toilet in front so the exit isn't actually right in the face like some of the other configs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.