Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OpUp for *gold success rate

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:23 am

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
I last got upgraded Bus to F in 2007. In fact between 2004 & 2007 I probably got 10 F Class upgrades. I was QPPS at the time. In 2008 I qualified TPPS and I haven't had an upgrade since. I think SQ have completely stopped the practice since about 2008. Certainly, I haven't heard of anybody getting a Bus to F upgrade in the last 3-4 years.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:16 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Well miracles do happen after all...

I flew on SQ346 last Thursday night and got upgraded from Y (M) to C to ZRH.

I'm KF*G since May 2012 and fly at least twice a month regionally. Did my OLCI 48H before departure, picked a seat, checked my bags and was still issued a Y BP.

Until I got to the boarding gate, where it beeped while boarding and I had to wait on a side to be issued a manual BP in C. That was quite enjoyable on the A380, last row.

It is actually my second upgrade to C since I've been KF*G. First time was end of June on a MI flight Phuket. Got bumped to C the same way it happened for SQ.

Fingers crossed for my SQ345 back in September
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by YClassFlyer
Thanks for the feedback guys, very much appreciate it. Thinking probably best to stick with SK and LH for now.
Also had a look at OZ and NH, but their programs seemed rather stingy on miles needed for a flight and rules for using them.
Just replying to your comment on OZ program.

Initially I was gonna join SQ Krysflyer, but end up joining OZ and never looked back. IMO, SQ is trying to pull the paxs with their brand reputation, their overall quality has gone down and still heading downwards. Talking about Y here.

iirc, with SQ, you need to achieve and must fly 50k miles in first 12 months and months to keep your status (*g) and 50k miles every 12 months to maintain KF gold, whereas OZ, if you hit 20k you become OZ gold (*s) or 40k for diamond (*g). You can maintain the status for 24 months and need to fly 20k or 40k miles respectively every 24 months to keep the status. Which is far easier to achieve than SQ and have one extra year elite status. Most importantly, you don't have to fly in J or F class all the time to become Diamond (+) or Platinum whereas for SQ, you must fly J or F to become solitaire (PPS) memeber.

When you become OZ gold, increased baggage allowance to 30kg from the usual 20kg and express check in (for OZ flights only) plus get 2 lounge invitation to use plus 5000 miles discount voucher for an award booking. Services & foods wise, very good and consistant whereas SQ is a hit and miss these days.

Lastly, a friend of mine is KF gold and he is always trying hard to keep the status and never got op-up for past so many donkey years.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by friendlyplanet
I don't think this is published anywhere, and as you say, SQ Opups are so rare I don't see how you could figure this out.

I believe that the opposite is true- Opups are given to elites of other airlines, under the hope that once they try SQ premium, they might buy a ticket at a future time. The only time I got an opup was when I was 1K, but had no status on KF.

I admit they also could have just been giving them out randomly as well- waited until they absolutely needed another economy seat, and I was the lucky number. But there's no way that SQ had already given Opups to all the 1-4 on your list who were flying Y that day.
Call it random. I had an SQ op-up the other day on LHR-SIN, Y->C on the 380. Flight was hugely oversold in Y and I was on a full Y fare as a *G. I asked for a better seat as they had given me a middle--at the transit desk they weren't able to help, but at the lounge they took my request, and then paged me later to tell me they found me one

I'd have to guess that the full Y fare class might have something to do with it, but who knows really? They're so rare that it seems no science has been reverse-engineered by FT as it has for other airlines (notably CX).
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
I've been PPS since 2004. I qualified TPPS in 2008. I haven't had a single OpUp since I qualified Solitaire. When I was QPPS I probably got about 8 Bus to First upgrades between 2005 and 2008. SQ upgrading these days seems to be a very rare event.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: TK M&S, BAEC, EK
I was upgraded from Y to C on the SQ392 to Istanbul a couple of weeks ago.

Had arrived earlier in the evening from Auckland on a long afternoon flight without any sleep, so it was an extremely pleasant surprise when my BP produced a red light and a beep at the gate on boarding my connecting flight.

Needless to say, it was a very comfortable experience with attentive and friendly cabin service.

I-m the kind of *G who travels mainly in economy, so I don-t usually expect more than the standard benefits of premium check-in, lounge access of some kind and priority boarding.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Upgraded J to F on SQ285 yesterday. Flight was full of people heading down under for the holidays. Nice Christmas present from SQ!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Solitaire, Miles & More Senator, Hilton Honors Diamond
op-up is mainly dependent on econ being full

Originally Posted by Wan1dap
Upgraded J to F on SQ285 yesterday. Flight was full of people heading down under for the holidays. Nice Christmas present from SQ!
one thing is for sure with SQ - no upgrades unless they are full behind and empty in front

hence its either you are in a full cabin or suddenly elevated up front to a less full cabin

i may be in a minority here but i am quite happy with sq economy as i find the service predictably good and i find the entertainment adequate and familiar (I am too old to enjoy learning new tricks) but of course am happier in SQ business and beyond

to illustrate the principle, we flew out to NZ in mid december on a completely full plane (econ and business) and on our return were upgraded as econ was overbooked and business empty

lovely way to end the year but it does not raise my expectations for more of the same in 2013
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by YClassFlyer
I'm wondering if it's worth jumping ship and getting a KrisFlyer Gold card instead... how often do they upgrade Y class pax on SQ?
If you have to jump ship, jump somewhere else.

SQ's program (KF/PPS) can be considered one of the worst in all *A FFPs.

Or I should say to SQ, *G means nothing at all.

(Even PPS has to pay for exit row seating...so you imagine...)
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:28 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
KF isn't that bad, especially if you're burning miles on SQ. As for *G, you get the perks that you deserve and I'm not sure what else there is to ask for. Family membership or companion awards would be nice though.

As for upgrades, forget about KF making it happen. SQ only give upgrades when absolutely necessary (overbooking), and although I've been KF Gold for years I have never had an upgrade...
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by aster
KF isn't that bad, especially if you're burning miles on SQ. As for *G, you get the perks that you deserve and I'm not sure what else there is to ask for. Family membership or companion awards would be nice though.
It is really that bad. I promise it is the true.

SQ KF *G (not counting any PPS) basically enjoy what other *G enjoy.

The only differences are:

1. KF *G can redeem F Suite.

2. KF *G get to use KF Gold Lounge in SIN when traveling with SQ.

SQ fails to make its program "special". In that case, TK or OZ can easier beat it. At the least, TK or OZ has a low *G requirement.

I am not saying I am a DYKWIA. But I think every FTers would like to feel important at a time by the program you choose, right?

I don't see how SQ can do it (when SQ is kicking their own *G out of SKL).
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:47 pm
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Another upgrade story but on partner airline MI, not SQ.

Flew from KTM to SIN this Wednesday and got upgraded to Biz class right before boarding the bus to the plane.

Economy was full and when the doors closed, there was one empty seat in C. My neighbor has also been upgraded as a matter of fact. But i did not ask her what status she had. American tourist.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:54 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by aster

As for upgrades, forget about KF making it happen. SQ only give upgrades when absolutely necessary (overbooking), and although I've been KF Gold for years I have never had an upgrade...
Miracles do happen. My son, an unaccompanied minor who is KF Gold was upgraded from Y to J yesterday afternoon on SQ 305 from LHR to SIN. He was called at the lounge. Apparently there were 3 of them in total.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
I was QPP from 2004 to 2009. Never once scored an Opup. Never once scored an empty seat next to mine when travelling in Y. Never got greeting by name when travelling in Y. So not scoring opups since 2009 as KF Gold doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
They're so rare that it seems no science has been reverse-engineered by FT as it has for other airlines (notably CX).
Originally Posted by occasionally flying professor
one thing is for sure with SQ - no upgrades unless they are full behind and empty in front
CX also rarely upgrades unless they are full behind and empty in front (the occasional birthday etc excepted).

However, one material difference in business models seems to be that CX is happy to oversell economy to maximise revenue, and bump top tier flyers up (my guess is that they may miss out on J sales through frequent flyers trying to game the system by booking on flights which are likely to become overbooked). SQ seems to take the approach that premium classes are sacrosanct and should only be available to fare-paying J/F passengers, thus economy shouldn't be oversold.

Not sure which is better for the airline's bottom line, but CX's approach is definitely better from the top tier frequent flyers' point of view!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.