Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 2, 12, 6:58 am   #1
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: East Midlands, UK
Programs: BA Blue, KrisFlyer, HH Honors, Marriott and A Club.
Posts: 177
Question Economy seats on A380 Upper Deck

Have booked a return ticket from HKG to AKL via SIN. The sectors between HKG & SIN, and vice versa, are on an A380. I was able to select seats on the main deck at the time of booking.
When are the Economy seats on the Upper deck released?
Cypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 12, 8:38 am   #2
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SIN
Programs: QF WP
Posts: 1,156
The are available at the same time, however, these seats usually get picked first, so they may have all been taken. Also, some configs have an all-J upstairs, in which case, all Y pax are relegated to the main deck.
Awesom Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 12, 8:56 am   #3
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: YYZ
Programs: A3& TK Gold/IC RA
Posts: 9,725
We sat in the bulkheads, I mean the legroom was good but I did not like the sliding seat concept, I found it to be a little uncomfortable especially on a red eye SIN-NRT.
__________________
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
djjaguar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 12, 9:12 am   #4
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Programs: KF*G, A3*G
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
Have booked a return ticket from HKG to AKL via SIN. The sectors between HKG & SIN, and vice versa, are on an A380. I was able to select seats on the main deck at the time of booking.
When are the Economy seats on the Upper deck released?
Try again 2-3 days before departure. They will release the seats if available.
Nisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 12, 9:03 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Programs: UA Premier Exec; AA Platinum; SPG Gold; PC Platinum
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
Have booked a return ticket from HKG to AKL via SIN. The sectors between HKG & SIN, and vice versa, are on an A380. I was able to select seats on the main deck at the time of booking.
When are the Economy seats on the Upper deck released?
You could have been confused by the SQ A380 seatmap, as I was. The first page that comes up is the main deck, but if you go to the top of the seat map, there's a link for the upper deck, showing all the available seats.
friendlyplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 12, 9:39 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Melbourne Australia
Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Ethihad
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
We sat in the bulkheads, I mean the legroom was good but I did not like the sliding seat concept, I found it to be a little uncomfortable especially on a red eye SIN-NRT.
+1

I hate the "sliding seats". If you have a seat in front of you then you can recline your seat OR stretch your legs...but you can't do both. I hate them. If this is SQ's "new economy", then it's a big step backwards.
RBH58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 12, 12:52 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
Have booked a return ticket from HKG to AKL via SIN. The sectors between HKG & SIN, and vice versa, are on an A380. I was able to select seats on the main deck at the time of booking.
When are the Economy seats on the Upper deck released?
Interestingly, I got the reverse for a JFK-FRA leg in June. The main deck was full and only seats in the upper deck were available to be selected.
SPSTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 12, 4:06 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SIN/ZRH (time, not preference)
Programs: UA plat, LH FTL--**, AA EXP
Posts: 17,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSTiger View Post
Interestingly, I got the reverse for a JFK-FRA leg in June. The main deck was full and only seats in the upper deck were available to be selected.
Nice!

Does anyone know on which routes the 'crippled' new A380s will be deployed? The ones which have no coach seats in the upper deck?
__________________
o tempora o miles et mores
weero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 12, 6:08 am   #9
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: East Midlands, UK
Programs: BA Blue, KrisFlyer, HH Honors, Marriott and A Club.
Posts: 177
Mmmm, from what I see the seats on the UD don't seem to come up to scratch. Methinks I'll stay put.
Thank you, everyone for your helpful comments.
Cypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 12, 6:30 am   #10
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: YYZ
Programs: A3& TK Gold/IC RA
Posts: 9,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
Mmmm, from what I see the seats on the UD don't seem to come up to scratch. Methinks I'll stay put.
Thank you, everyone for your helpful comments.
There is only one benefit of selecting you seats on the upper deck. The cabin is smaller that means pax to washroom ratio is smaller than if you were on the lower deck.
__________________
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
djjaguar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 12, 5:43 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Melbourne Australia
Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Ethihad
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
There is only one benefit of selecting you seats on the upper deck. The cabin is smaller that means pax to washroom ratio is smaller than if you were on the lower deck.
Upper deck also gives you 2-4-2 seating rather than 3-4-3 on the lower deck. When travelling as a couple having only 2 seats together is nicer than 3.
RBH58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 12, 10:03 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SAN
Programs: PR Premier Elite, BR Silver
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBH58 View Post
+1

I hate the "sliding seats". If you have a seat in front of you then you can recline your seat OR stretch your legs...but you can't do both. I hate them. If this is SQ's "new economy", then it's a big step backwards.
I LOVE "sliding seats" because prior to them it was the guy in front of me who chose whether I could stretch my legs or not. Now, that guy is taking his own leg room away if he chose, rather than him choosing to take mine. A totally equitable solution to the age old recline controversy.

As for the upper deck seats being released? I have a flight LAX-NRT-SIN booked for July. The Upper deck is available wide open except the window and asile on the left side. The lower deck is 100% blocked out. So for that flight at this time you can ONLY chose upper deck. Go figure.
Mabuk dan gila is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 12, 12:04 am   #13
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Melbourne Australia
Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Ethihad
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila View Post
I LOVE "sliding seats" because prior to them it was the guy in front of me who chose whether I could stretch my legs or not. Now, that guy is taking his own leg room away if he chose, rather than him choosing to take mine. A totally equitable solution to the age old recline controversy.

As for the upper deck seats being released? I have a flight LAX-NRT-SIN booked for July. The Upper deck is available wide open except the window and asile on the left side. The lower deck is 100% blocked out. So for that flight at this time you can ONLY chose upper deck. Go figure.
The recline v legroom issue is a good enough reason for me to avoid SQ Economy. These seats suck.
RBH58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 12, 6:37 am   #14
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Singapore, Warsaw, Sydney
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Swiss˘tel Circle ElevÓ
Posts: 4,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila View Post
I LOVE "sliding seats" because prior to them it was the guy in front of me who chose whether I could stretch my legs or not. Now, that guy is taking his own leg room away if he chose, rather than him choosing to take mine. A totally equitable solution to the age old recline controversy.
+1

I like this about the new seats too. Plus, if everyone reclines, then everything works out perfectly anyway.
aster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 12, 9:42 am   #15
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SIN/ZRH (time, not preference)
Programs: UA plat, LH FTL--**, AA EXP
Posts: 17,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
There is only one benefit of selecting you seats on the upper deck. The cabin is smaller that means pax to washroom ratio is smaller than if you were on the lower deck.
Storage bins on the window side, less people communing around, generally less families ... if I cannot get the UD, I do not book SQ ... it is that simple.
__________________
o tempora o miles et mores
weero is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 8:23 pm.