FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Economy seats on A380 Upper Deck (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1309665-economy-seats-a380-upper-deck.html)

Cypress Feb 2, 2012 6:58 am

Economy seats on A380 Upper Deck

Have booked a return ticket from HKG to AKL via SIN. The sectors between HKG & SIN, and vice versa, are on an A380. I was able to select seats on the main deck at the time of booking.
When are the Economy seats on the Upper deck released?

Awesom Andy Feb 2, 2012 8:38 am

The are available at the same time, however, these seats usually get picked first, so they may have all been taken. Also, some configs have an all-J upstairs, in which case, all Y pax are relegated to the main deck.

djjaguar64 Feb 2, 2012 8:56 am

We sat in the bulkheads, I mean the legroom was good but I did not like the sliding seat concept, I found it to be a little uncomfortable especially on a red eye SIN-NRT.

Nisse Feb 2, 2012 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Cypress (Post 17936612)
Have booked a return ticket from HKG to AKL via SIN. The sectors between HKG & SIN, and vice versa, are on an A380. I was able to select seats on the main deck at the time of booking.

Try again 2-3 days before departure. They will release the seats if available.

friendlyplanet Feb 2, 2012 9:03 pm

You could have been confused by the SQ A380 seatmap, as I was. The first page that comes up is the main deck, but if you go to the top of the seat map, there's a link for the upper deck, showing all the available seats.

RBH58 Feb 2, 2012 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 (Post 17937461)
We sat in the bulkheads, I mean the legroom was good but I did not like the sliding seat concept, I found it to be a little uncomfortable especially on a red eye SIN-NRT.

+1

I hate the "sliding seats". If you have a seat in front of you then you can recline your seat OR stretch your legs...but you can't do both. I hate them. If this is SQ's "new economy", then it's a big step backwards.

SPSTiger Feb 3, 2012 12:52 pm

Interestingly, I got the reverse for a JFK-FRA leg in June. The main deck was full and only seats in the upper deck were available to be selected.

weero Feb 3, 2012 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by SPSTiger (Post 17946656)
Interestingly, I got the reverse for a JFK-FRA leg in June. The main deck was full and only seats in the upper deck were available to be selected.

Nice!

Does anyone know on which routes the 'crippled' new A380s will be deployed? The ones which have no coach seats in the upper deck?

Cypress Feb 8, 2012 6:08 am

Mmmm, from what I see the seats on the UD don't seem to come up to scratch. Methinks I'll stay put.
Thank you, everyone for your helpful comments.

djjaguar64 Feb 8, 2012 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Cypress (Post 17974601)
Mmmm, from what I see the seats on the UD don't seem to come up to scratch. Methinks I'll stay put.
Thank you, everyone for your helpful comments.

There is only one benefit of selecting you seats on the upper deck. The cabin is smaller that means pax to washroom ratio is smaller than if you were on the lower deck. ;)

RBH58 Feb 8, 2012 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 (Post 17974675)
There is only one benefit of selecting you seats on the upper deck. The cabin is smaller that means pax to washroom ratio is smaller than if you were on the lower deck. ;)

Upper deck also gives you 2-4-2 seating rather than 3-4-3 on the lower deck. When travelling as a couple having only 2 seats together is nicer than 3.

Mabuk dan gila Feb 8, 2012 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by RBH58 (Post 17942560)
+1

I hate the "sliding seats". If you have a seat in front of you then you can recline your seat OR stretch your legs...but you can't do both. I hate them. If this is SQ's "new economy", then it's a big step backwards.

I LOVE "sliding seats" because prior to them it was the guy in front of me who chose whether I could stretch my legs or not. Now, that guy is taking his own leg room away if he chose, rather than him choosing to take mine. A totally equitable solution to the age old recline controversy.

As for the upper deck seats being released? I have a flight LAX-NRT-SIN booked for July. The Upper deck is available wide open except the window and asile on the left side. The lower deck is 100% blocked out. So for that flight at this time you can ONLY chose upper deck. Go figure.

RBH58 Feb 9, 2012 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila (Post 17980278)
I LOVE "sliding seats" because prior to them it was the guy in front of me who chose whether I could stretch my legs or not. Now, that guy is taking his own leg room away if he chose, rather than him choosing to take mine. A totally equitable solution to the age old recline controversy.

As for the upper deck seats being released? I have a flight LAX-NRT-SIN booked for July. The Upper deck is available wide open except the window and asile on the left side. The lower deck is 100% blocked out. So for that flight at this time you can ONLY chose upper deck. Go figure.

The recline v legroom issue is a good enough reason for me to avoid SQ Economy. These seats suck.

aster Feb 9, 2012 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila (Post 17980278)

+1

I like this about the new seats too. Plus, if everyone reclines, then everything works out perfectly anyway.

weero Feb 11, 2012 9:42 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 (Post 17974675)

Storage bins on the window side, less people communing around, generally less families ... if I cannot get the UD, I do not book SQ ... it is that simple.