Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ flight path same as MH flight path over Ukraine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:43 pm
Original Poster
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Centurion. Amanjunkie. AA & DL Platinum

I was on SQ 25 a month or two ago and was curious that SQ was flying over Eastern Ukraine and even parts of Afghanistan. I really wasn't concerned since I assumed that radar could detect a commercial aircraft and I also assumed that SQ was in communication with ground control that they were in the airspace so thought nothing of it.

After today's apparent shoot down of Malaysia Airlines, I wonder if all the other airlines which had used the same flight path will now change their routings in known war areas?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Originally Posted by plumbar
I was on SQ 25 a month or two ago and was curious that SQ was flying over Eastern Ukraine and even parts of Afghanistan. I really wasn't concerned since I assumed that radar could detect a commercial aircraft and I also assumed that SQ was in communication with ground control that they were in the airspace so thought nothing of it.

After today's apparent shoot down of Malaysia Airlines, I wonder if all the other airlines which had used the same flight path will now change their routings in known war areas?
Yes they already announced that the airspace over that area is closed. I wonder what will happen with other troubled areas. This could mean longer flights and, eventually, higher prices. But of course safety comes first.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by afmiami
Yes they already announced that the airspace over that area is closed. I wonder what will happen with other troubled areas. This could mean longer flights and, eventually, higher prices. But of course safety comes first.
You could argue that this demonstrates safety has come second...wait until a problem, then fix it, is not the risk-averse attitude I like when flying.

It wouldn't have been that much more distance to route through Belarus or even Romania c.2% more; but perhaps would have cost more in ATC charges and delays due to flow congestion.

Last edited by jbfield; Jul 17, 2014 at 4:34 pm
Old Jul 17, 2014, 7:54 pm

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BswajgMCAAAsJYw.png:large

If anyone of you is interested in the flight radar images around the time of the crash. SQ351 is approx 10 degrees northeast of MH17.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Unhappy

Originally Posted by SQ319

If anyone of you is interested in the flight radar images around the time of the crash. SQ351 is approx 10 degrees northeast of MH17.
Look at this tweet from @flightradar24. Air India was nearby as well.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:49 pm

SQ initially said (on FB) that they were not flying over Ukrainian Airspace, but have since clarified to say that they are "no longer flying over Ukrainian airspace".

The FB post seems misleading...

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...s/1270454.html
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
What route does Finnair take from SIN to HEL, isn't it way more northern than the regular routes of other carriers to airports like LHR, MUC, FRA?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by aster
What route does Finnair take from SIN to HEL, isn't it way more northern than the regular routes of other carriers to airports like LHR, MUC, FRA?
http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ay82/#3d6ace7
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:47 am

I beleive airlines continued to fly over Iraq and Afganistan. The reason, IMO, is that only one side in those conflicts have aircraft and the ability to shot down high flying aircraft. So it was safe to fly over those two conflicts as high flying aircraft were not activetly being targeted.

The one thing I'm unclear about in the Ukraine if the recent downing of Ukraine aircraft has only happened within the last week or so. This means that only recently has the pro-russian forces have attained the ground-to-air rockets and or and Russian forces decided to engage Ukraine aircraft.

Either way this may have been a recent development and the airlines may have not had a chance to update their risk assessements to change routes.

Airlines can not avoid all conflict areas in the world as there are always conflicts. It's the conflicts which aircraft are activetly being targeted and shot down that airlines must avoid IMO.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:50 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
SQ initially said (on FB) that they were not flying over Ukrainian Airspace, but have since clarified to say that they are "no longer flying over Ukrainian airspace".

/1270454.html[/url]
They wouldn't be able to use that route even if they wanted to as it was closed following the incident.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by jbfield
They wouldn't be able to use that route even if they wanted to as it was closed following the incident.
It's not a matter of whether they want to, but the fact that they said they don't use Ukrainian airspace, when there are radar pictures of SQ351 clearly in Ukrainian airspace.

So the way they have said it is very misleading as it is clearly untrue.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver

Yep, SQ's own tweet, very misleading.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

The FB post you link to says "are not", not the "were not" that you have claimed. But perhaps they have edited it.

It would be strange for them to say they "were not flying" - it doesn't really matter, at this stage, where previous flights were routed; and we know that most airlines (the exception being BA and AF, apparently) were using Ukrainian airspace - as long as they stayed above 32,000 feet this was allowed. What people worry about is what might happen on future flights, not what didn't happen to past flights.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:41 am
Original Poster
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Centurion. Amanjunkie. AA & DL Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
The FB post you link to says "are not", not the "were not" that you have claimed. But perhaps they have edited it.

It would be strange for them to say they "were not flying" - it doesn't really matter, at this stage, where previous flights were routed; and we know that most airlines (the exception being BA and AF, apparently) were using Ukrainian airspace - as long as they stayed above 32,000 feet this was allowed. What people worry about is what might happen on future flights, not what didn't happen to past flights.
That may be true, but I can assure people on this board that I was on S25/26 on the last weekend in May and I clearly saw on the moving map that we were pretty close if not directly over Donetsk, Ukraine.

Maybe I had foresight but I clearly thought this was odd and wondered why take that route other than being the most direct route. It all comes down to maximizing revenue over safety, albeit the threat assessment might not have been as severe as it now appears to have been.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: SQ, NH, OZ, GA

let's hope they won't reopen that airway soon. I will be in SQ352 this December.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.