Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Cancellation of all-business class flight to NY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer

I was supposed to be on SQ21 all-business class flight from Newark (New York) to Singapore on 23rd August. Got the usual sms to check-in but shortly after that, received a call that the flight was cancelled with no reason given. When I did a dummy booking for that flight on the website, I found that there were only a handful of seats taken (the same as the outward flight to Newark about 20 days ago). I suspect that the flight was cancelled due to low bookings.
Is this very common?
I find this alarming because if I had made onward travel arrangements, then it will be very chaotic to sort things out.
This is an all-business class flight. It means premium passengers are being inconvenienced. I myself had been a PPS member for a number of years.
Anyone knows what is going on with SIA?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
This flight, the ALL J CLASS, will be cancelled soon, it does not make any economic sense to operate such a flight.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by freq2travel
I was supposed to be on SQ21 all-business class flight from Newark (New York) to Singapore on 23rd August. Got the usual sms to check-in but shortly after that, received a call that the flight was cancelled with no reason given. .. I suspect that the flight was cancelled due to low bookings.
Is this very common?
I find this alarming because if I had made onward travel arrangements, then it will be very chaotic to sort things out.
This is an all-business class flight. It means premium passengers are being inconvenienced. I myself had been a PPS member for a number of years.
Anyone knows what is going on with SIA?
I think its due to the earthquake that struck eastern USA and that all airports were closed..

East Coast airports stop operation, hold flights after earthquake
http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...quake/416477/1

SQ has never in my experience, cancelled a flight due to 'low loads'. It would still make economic sense for SQ to carry cargo instead of passengers. I think however, this is a pretty good reason to cancel a flight. The phone operators probably didn't know the reason either and hence couldn't tell you.

But flights resumed today...
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ark_and_j.html

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Aug 24, 2011 at 1:05 pm
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:29 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
SQ has never in my experience, cancelled a flight due to 'low loads'. It would still make economic sense for SQ to carry cargo instead of passengers. I think however, this is a pretty good reason to cancel a flight. The phone operators probably didn't know the reason either and hence couldn't tell you.

But flights resumed today...
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ark_and_j.html
I agree. ^ SQ touts their All J class flights as their premier or "flagship" routes. They will not simply cancel the flight due to "low loads" or "low yield". Flights like these make economic sense to SQ because these flights are uniquely suited to their market where no other airline can compete.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 1:19 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
I was scheduled on that flight and the message said a mechanical problem. Any idea if SQ 22 was canceled so that there was no plane at EWR?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

No, the cancellation was absolutely not due to the earthquake unless SIA is also in the business of predicting earthquakes!
The sms and cancallation was the day before that. I was precisely at lower Manhattan the afternoon of the earthquake because the flight was cancelled. (And yes, I was also outside the court where the demonstration against DSK took place). I suspect with the unexpectedly poor financial results, they could be cutting operating costs to the bone.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:57 pm

That all business class route is so expensive, more expensive than some other First Class ones (albeit non direct).
Old Aug 26, 2011, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
..I suspect with the unexpectedly poor financial results, they could be cutting operating costs to the bone.
To each your own.. take another airline then if you think SQ cancelled because of 'poor results'. SQ has consistently made profits wherever it goes and it has NEVER cancelled a flight due to low yields. If SQ wants to cut costs, they could have just stuck you on the JFK flight to SIN.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
To each your own.. take another airline then if you think SQ cancelled because of 'poor results'. SQ has consistently made profits wherever it goes and it has NEVER cancelled a flight due to low yields. If SQ wants to cut costs, they could have just stuck you on the JFK flight to SIN.
Oh, may I know how do you know that "it has NEVER cancelled a flight . . ."?
May I also know how do you know that management will never implement new policies?
I was simply inquiring here because it had never happened to me and I was curious because the flight was nearly empty.
And yes, they could have let me fly on the JFK flight. But that didn't happen.
Have I offended someone here?
Thank you for your time. Bye.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:51 pm

Aircraft scheduled to op SQ22/21 on 23/8 was delayed >18 hrs out of LAX on SQ37. 5 aircraft fleet is reduced to 4 at the moment with 1 in for checks. No spares.

Last edited by Nick C; Aug 26, 2011 at 3:47 pm
Old Aug 26, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by Nick C
Aircraft scheduled to op SQ22/21 on 23/8 was delayed >18 hrs out of LAX on SQ37. 5 aircraft fleet is reduced to 4 at the moment with 1 in for checks. No spares.
OP: Here's the answer to your inquiry.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
May I also know how do you know that management will never implement new policies?
I was simply inquiring here because it had never happened to me and I was curious because the flight was nearly empty.
No offense, just incredulity at your naïveté.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Considering you are new here and Guy Betsy has over 10 years, 17K posts and is a moderator of two forums.....

Well, you might as well disappear after that little outburst.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Considering you are new here and Guy Betsy has over 10 years, 17K posts and is a moderator of two forums.....

Well, you might as well disappear after that little outburst.
Wow, was that an outburst?
Thanks for the slap on my left cheek. Here is my right cheek.
May god bless you.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wan1dap
No offense, just incredulity at your naïveté.
Sorry, didn't know I was naivete when I clarified that it was not due to the earthquake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.