Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Old Apr 2, 2011, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A few

Hi folks. I am looking at a potential big reward of MLE-SIN in J and then SIN-FRA-JFK in F. One way this prices out at 115k each, and there are 4 (yes FOUR!) of us. I can get saver availability on a waitlisted basis. How likely are these things to clear? Do they only offer them up when their RM suggests it's likely they'd be available, or is it just pot luck?
Old Apr 3, 2011, 7:24 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Centurion. Amanjunkie. AA & DL Platinum
Good question and would love to know. I am still on a waitlist for late April for my return DPS-SIN-FRA-JFK. It was scheduled to expire on April 4 but the agent just extended my reservation on the Saver award waitlist to April 11th. For my outbound I booked and have confirmed 2 F Standard awards at 331,500.

I would love to know if they will release these seats and how/when do they make those decisions. I have called a few times and it seems like the agent has been working with me and has sincerely made efforts to expedite the release through the supervisor. I wonder if it helps that I have flown on SQ around 8-10 times over the past 10 years in F and J (both revenue and award).
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: *A Gold
I think if you are PPS club then you can call and request and they might do something. Otherwise it is upto the luck of the draw.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:08 am

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
Originally Posted by aacreative
I think if you are PPS club then you can call and request and they might do something. Otherwise it is upto the luck of the draw.
I've been PPS for 8 years (TPPS for the last 3) and I've never come off an award waitlist
Old Apr 6, 2011, 1:00 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
First of all I believe the OP is using KF miles but has no status with SQ like QPP (PPS) or TPP (Solitaire). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Overall, from experiences redeeming on the SIN-FRA-SIN sector on SQ25/26 in the past SQ is unlikely to ever open more then 1 F Saver award seat on this route in KF. In particular if you want to go all the way to / from JFK. Yes you can get lucky and they may open a second one after you grabbed the first one, but your chances for 4 F seats on Saver Awards on this route are very, very low IMHO.

Yes SQ RM is definitely monitoring flights and waitlists for revenue and award and decide what to realease and not to release. Sometimes seat open up 3-4 days out before the flight, but you better have a back up in place already as it may not happen.

I have had waitlists on SQ for saver awards in general in Y, C or F clear within 2 days to 4 weeks, but also had some that never went through. I'm KF Blue so no help from any status there, but if anything may matter it would be PPS or Solitaire.

Last edited by demue; Apr 6, 2011 at 1:07 am
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: *A Gold
Originally Posted by demue
I have had waitlists on SQ for saver awards in general in Y, C or F clear within 2 days to 4 weeks, but also had some that never went through. I'm KF Blue so no help from any status there, but if anything may matter it would be PPS or Solitaire.
I have had a waitlist on SIlkair economy not come thru. When I was KF Gold. So to summarise 99.99% this will not happen.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: A few
Thanks everyone. This is as I expected. seems the waitlist idea is not much use as very hard to plan anything around something with little or no chance of clearing.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:36 am
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Centurion. Amanjunkie. AA & DL Platinum
Originally Posted by aacreative
I have had a waitlist on SIlkair economy not come thru. When I was KF Gold. So to summarise 99.99% this will not happen.
I hope I don't have to deposit another 166,000 miles to get the standard award

For some reason I think that the agent I am working with will come through. She already extended the waitlist which expires exactly 2 weeks before the flight.

I assume that if I book the standard award and the saver becomes available I can't cancel that award and rebook the saver award?
Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:11 am

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
On 744 routes though, Around 3 days before departure, if there's 'A' seats available, they seem willing to release up to 3 F seats.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 2:24 pm

I was waitlisted last year, in F for JFK-FRA-SIN for about 6 weeks and a week before my "desired" date, I checked every day, many times a day and 4 days before the date I wanted, one became available (checked at about 9:30am EST) and I snapped it up immediately. And being a nosey parker, I checked again a few hours later and found 1 more available in F but when I checked back again the next day, there was no more availability (yes, a nosey parker and a lady!). I think it depends largely on the day of travel.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 5:18 am

Programs: SQ Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Plat, Virgin Plat
Originally Posted by RBH58
I've been PPS for 8 years (TPPS for the last 3) and I've never come off an award waitlist
Ah.... thank you so much for the info.
I am currently waitlisted to the SIN-FRA flights on award redemption on September. been waiting for about 1 month now.

I better plan for plan B.

Thanks Flyertalk Forum... this is very useful forum.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:21 pm
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I didn't want to post a new thread since there was already a thread discussing this, but I also wanted to be careful not pulling back an old thread if not necessary.

With the increase in award redemption rate, I thought there are supposed to be more award seats available (?), maybe I misunderstood their justification on increasing the rate. I have a few waitlisted fligths in Jan and Feb 2013 (one seat in J), I know the waitlist won't expire until early next year, but I am wondeirng if there is really a chance here. I am just a general memebr with absolutely no status or any history with them. Got the miles transferred from one of the credit cards.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:18 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I have two flights on waitlist since Sep 11 for Aug 12 and nothing has happend so far. Really depends how loads on the flight look and what Rev. Mgmt thinks they will sell.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: KF
And speaking of saver award, will they allow standby? Say I have a saver award J seat confirmed and ticketed on EWR-SIN on 6 January. Then been planning to rebook it one day earlier but the system shows no slot on saver award on that day. Can I fly standby then?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
Originally Posted by wanderer9020
And speaking of saver award, will they allow standby? Say I have a saver award J seat confirmed and ticketed on EWR-SIN on 6 January. Then been planning to rebook it one day earlier but the system shows no slot on saver award on that day. Can I fly standby then?
Yup that should be okay, since it is a SQ ticket

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.