Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 - 2021: How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
...then why collect miles if you can't use them. One of the bloggers seem to get "lucky" when he waitlist for First/Suits on the JFK-FRA flight...
Because you can use them. It's harder when you're constrained by dates, routes, multiple paxs, etc. Bloggers usually travel alone, open to many dates/routes, wailtlist multiple dates/routes, etc...they have much more flexibility.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Troopers
Because you can use them. It's harder when you're constrained by dates, routes, multiple paxs, etc. Bloggers usually travel alone, open to many dates/routes, wailtlist multiple dates/routes, etc...they have much more flexibility.
I just booked a NYC-FRA-IST flight with LH first giving me access to the first class terminal in FRA. I booked with krisflyer miles and had to pay surcharges of around $580. I booked it because I was five days from departure and my J class seats had not opened on SQ metal. I had sent a chaser on the waitlisted seats and was told by the rep it didn't look like they would open up on either day. I kid you not ten minutes after I completed the partner booking the J seats I waitlisted on both days opened up. I decided to stick with the LH flight even though I am paying more in fees, because its F and also because it gets me to IST where if I fly SQ metal I'd either have to pay for a flight from FRA onward or If I add in a partner airline I'd be on the partner chart and have to eat the surcharges for both the SQ and partner flight which wouldn't have made a lot of sense at that point. Strangely the partner chart with krisflyer makes it cheaper to go to turkey than it does to FRA in F even though I connect through FRA. Go figure.
mach92 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: KF, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I get why airlines do this, on the other hand, then why collect miles if you can't use them.
Thats exactly what airlines want. If airlines released plenty of award seats, no one will buy revenue tickets. The rules around points expiry, minimum points, etc are all to ensure at least some of the points are wasted by members.

Always plan early and be flexible if you want to redeem awards.
hclee01 likes this.

Last edited by spk307; Aug 15, 2017 at 11:04 pm
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
I've got 2 J savers confirmed on a particular SIN-MEL flight, and recently thought of changing it to F instead.

I called up KF and was told there is no availability so I asked them to put me on the F waitlist (for both pax).

Out of curiosity, I did a search on the website: saver redemption F for 1 pax = available, for 2 pax = waitlist.

Is there anything I can do that could increase the chances of KF opening up the 1 additional saver seat? Maybe I ask the KF ppl to confirm 1 pax upgrade first?

(but at the end of the day, I'd rather stick to 2 J seats than to fly 1 in F and 1 in J ...)

[edit] The flight is 3weeks away
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Red259
I just booked a NYC-FRA-IST flight with LH first giving me access to the first class terminal in FRA. I booked with krisflyer miles and had to pay surcharges of around $580.
How many points was it?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:23 am

How many points was it?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Not too bad, is J from FRA-IST? How easy was it to find tickets?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:55 am

Not too bad, is J from FRA-IST? How easy was it to find tickets?
Yea only j available from fra to ist. For LH its easy if you are flexible and can wait till last minute. They open awards like two weeks before, so for those who need exact dates or a bunch of seats it doesn't work for slackers like me who travel last minute solo without real planning it can work much better.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Yea only j available from fra to ist. For LH its easy if you are flexible and can wait till last minute. They open awards like two weeks before, so for those who need exact dates or a bunch of seats it doesn't work for slackers like me who travel last minute solo without real planning it can work much better.
How do you search for LH seats using SQ miles/ I'm familiar with LH releasing seats. Flown LH FC a couple of time, but have used United miles before.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:18 am

The only accurate way is to call KrisFlyer.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
Waitlisted A380 F Sin-Hkg on Tuesday for 11/24/17 travel. Cleared today. Was very surprised.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Phaze
The only accurate way is to call KrisFlyer.
Thank you, I'm learning more and more about SQ miles..
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by tennislover9
Waitlisted A380 F Sin-Hkg on Tuesday for 11/24/17 travel. Cleared today. Was very surprised.
^^^^
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:05 am

As an update, my SQ7 ICN-SIN J waitlist cleared a day after I asked an agent to send a chaser explaining I was already confirmed on the first segment SQ7 LAX-ICN. This was booked in July for a September flight. Interestingly, my seat assignment will change on the 2 segments, despite a rule I saw mentioned that you are forced to select the same seat for both segments of the flight.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by shuigao
I've got 2 J savers confirmed on a particular SIN-MEL flight, and recently thought of changing it to F instead.

I called up KF and was told there is no availability so I asked them to put me on the F waitlist (for both pax).

Out of curiosity, I did a search on the website: saver redemption F for 1 pax = available, for 2 pax = waitlist.

Is there anything I can do that could increase the chances of KF opening up the 1 additional saver seat? Maybe I ask the KF ppl to confirm 1 pax upgrade first?
Real Time Update (that nobody asked for): It is now exactly 2 weeks away from the flight date. I called KF a few days ago to send a chaser; but waitlist hasn't cleared. Oh well, I get to save the extra miles for a future flight, I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.