Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Houston-Moscow-Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:34 pm

My company is based in Houston and I live / work in Singapore so I have made the trip more times than I can count. Singapore Air without a doubt has the better service but when given the choice I will ALWAYS take CO/UA through NRT. IAH to SIN is about the same travel time but SIN to IAH 19hrs 50 min on CO vs. 25hrs 20min on SQ.

More than that thou is the Moscow circus. It is unorganized, security agents are rude, the place is dirty and just an all around PITA. Also every single time (business and coach) that I have flown through there I have been surrounded by drunk Russians on the leg departing DME. Every one of them have been friendly but very loud and in the isles talking to each other very very loudly. Singapore Air Flight attendants are great at service but they are not going to say anything to loud passengers who are bothering others.

Anywhere else I would always take Singapore air for the great service. ^
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by sempai
I have taken this flight about 6 times, sometimes in coach, sometimes in business. This is my first choice based upon past experience.

You do not clear customs in Moscow if you are continuing to SIN, but you do have to leave the aircraft with all your carry-on, and go though a security check, which is annoying but not horrible. You go back to the plane at a different gate, and wait for about 30 minutes, and proceed on to SIN. Just follow the crowd - it is not that confusing. Be sure to get a transit card from ground staff - the will be handing these out along the hallway after leaving the plane.

See my earlier posts for a more detailed description.
I did it in December in F and I didn't think it was bad at all. Russian transit security was nicer than MSP TSA and they let F and C pax go to their contract lounge and I was able to get a quick shower in between flights.
Old May 7, 2011, 1:39 am

Programs: BAEC, One Pass, AA Advantage,Enrich, Miles & More, Flying Blue
Question

I am based in Houston but often visit family in Malaysia so have taken this flight a couple of times (and once to Moscow) and every time in coach. It always had been the 1st choice simply because it came out cheapest, with lowest being at $1.1k with mileage accrual (without was $979). Qatar also among the cheapest, and although i havent flown them before, i would still choose SQ.

Service usually excellent, good food & menu selection, AVOD pretty comprehensive and best part is half of the time one of the two segments (cant remember which one) is not full load, so you could end up with the entire row to yourself.

Transit at DME is not that bad, layover is pretty short and only need to get off plane for security check which is very straightforward. Never had issues with any loud Russians (maybe they are only in Biz class) so far. That said, i'm looking fwd for my 1st biz class trip on SQ (IAH-SIN) next week, hopefully no loud Russians. In fact, the loud noise may be coming from my end, as we will be flying with our 7 mth old daughter.. fingers crossed it'll be a smooth flight...
Old May 9, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
For all the problems, I suggest taking advantage of the vodka and shot glasses available in the lounge. It helps, and is very smooth.
Old May 10, 2011, 7:29 am

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by pWei
For all the problems, I suggest taking advantage of the vodka and shot glasses available in the lounge. It helps, and is very smooth.
Arrival times in DME from oth directions are not really suitable for Vodka. Coming from IAH it is early morning (body time) and coming from SIN it is midday....
S
Old Jul 2, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Just flew IAH DME SIN in First.

The Moscow connection was OK because we were first off the plane. If your in Y good luck because you must clear security again with only one check point. The line was LONG.

For F or C pax the lounge was average. It's run by the airport and nothing special. Good enough to check e-mail and walk around.

Terminal @ DME was packed and hot.

Re-boarding was a complete mess.

I'm thinking SFO ICN SIN is looking much better.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 5:27 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by mach92

Re-boarding was a complete mess.

I'm thinking SFO ICN SIN is looking much better.
I've done this route 3 times in F...and this last trip was the straw that broke the camels back.

I HATE DME. HATE. I hate no other airport globally.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Dorian
I've done this route 3 times in F...and this last trip was the straw that broke the camels back.

I HATE DME. HATE. I hate no other airport globally.
Yes I agree! I will not do the DME connection again, it was that bad.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
After my OP and the reactions on the DME layover I'm happy to say that I didn't end up flying this route.

Instead I was able to book a low award ticket to SIN with Delta in Y with a layover in NRT and with flights 617 & 618 being nearly empty, had consequently the whole Economy Comfort section to myself and had a great time with and was absolutely pampered by the FA's.

In short, a pleasant surprise and the best, funnest longhaul flights I've experienced in a long time
Old Jul 4, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold
Flew this route a couple of times in Y. Service was excellent and yes DME was horrible! I try to get seat 31D or G (or for that matter row 44 D or G). These are bulkhead aisle seats so there are no seats in front of you. But the 2 main reasons I like these seats on a 77W is because :

1) Unlike the exit row seats the video monitors are on the panel in front so there is no need to muck around with the foldable video screens that can be so painful when you are trying to have a meal

2) The magazine rack is close to the floor but at a perfect height to act as a leg (heel) rest. I empty the magazines and stretch my legs out and it's as good as a lie flat bed (well almost )
Old Jul 4, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
....DME is so bad I am actually surprised SQ continues the route.

The lounge is total sh*t and no *A lounges will let you in, even flying F.

Last time there I transited up from ATH and arrived at 3 am for the 10am SQ to HOU. We began our on foot transit and then were held between screening and customs in a little area on hard plastic chairs (or dirty floor) until the customs shift came on at 6am). Was lovely.

Staff at the airport treat all PAX with disdain verging on hatred IMO.

Will never enter that airport again in my life.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 11:43 pm

Programs: AmEx Centurion, SPG Platinum; LH Senator; Sixt Platinum; HHonors Gold
....DME is so bad I am actually surprised SQ continues the route.

The lounge is total sh*t and no *A lounges will let you in, even flying F.
I have Senator card and always use Lufthansa Lounge when flying SQ. On top of that they have to let you in on F ticket into Lufthansa Lounge.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Merlion
I have Senator card and always use Lufthansa Lounge when flying SQ. On top of that they have to let you in on F ticket into Lufthansa Lounge.
I assume you mean at DME specifically? I can't EVER imagine using a Lufthansa lounge over an SQ lounge intentionally.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by DFW-SEN
Arrival times in DME from oth directions are not really suitable for Vodka. Coming from IAH it is early morning (body time) and coming from SIN it is midday....
S
Really?

It really depends on what time zone you are keeping. I usually ignore time zones of transit points.

The lounge can also be hard to find; from the security checkpoint, turn left and go up the escalators. The lounge is at the end of a long drab windowless corridor left of the fruit juice concession and right of the big security lines. If you want a shower, it's good to be at the front of the pack. There's only 1 (maybe 2) showers in that lounge, and makes the IAH CO shower look good.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:51 am

Programs: AmEx Centurion, SPG Platinum; LH Senator; Sixt Platinum; HHonors Gold
I assume you mean at DME specifically? I can't EVER imagine using a Lufthansa lounge over an SQ lounge intentionally.
Well, this thread is about DME and DME doesn't have SQ lounge and your complaint was about not being able to use other lounges in transit. I have been able to, hence commented.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.