Wiki Posts
Search

SQ Booking Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2024, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

SQ Booking Advice?

Hi SQ regulars,
Before Covid, I used to go to India almost every summer (I'm a teacher) from SFO on CX J. I had decided it was too expensive this year, but for the last two days there's been a SFO-SIN-DEL RT fare in J for about $3600 on SkyScanner. It books through booking.com, and I don't really need any flexibility in terms of changing dates or flights. Is this fare too good to be true? I always book direct with airlines, but the fare on SQ is $6500 at least. Advice? Encouragement? Words of wisdom?
Thanks in advance,
Cushner
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:30 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Many purists would say only book directly with the airline unless you need hand holding in which case use a full service travel agent.

But sometimes the savings with an OTA can be so great it's worth taking the gamble (IMHO). The greatest gamble is if you need potential changes, but if you're confident that isn't needed then it might be worth a shot.

I don't know what booking.com will do (or charge you) if SQ changes flight details or what happens to request a meal, seat etc.

I guess a good insurance policy / credit card would help reduce the risk somewhat.

Personally I've done this before when the saving is significant and I was very close to the flight date. And the few times I've used an OTA things worked out ok.

Good luck and pls report back.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:36 pm

The 3600 fare you see is a D class fare which is a non refundable fare with high change fees. Availability can be limited and it might be possible booking.com is seeing availability when it is no longer available due to a lag in the system.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:42 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by epigram
The 3600 fare you see is a D class fare which is a non refundable fare with high change fees. Availability can be limited and it might be possible booking.com is seeing availability when it is no longer available due to a lag in the system.
Correct, OP better try to price out the fare on booking.com (don't purchase of course) as often when you select it it then reprices and says that what was earlier shown is not available any longer. OTAs can work with "cached" availability from the GDS to reduce costs as every call / query is charged to them. They only check for real when you intend to buy, not necessarily when you browse fares. YMMV
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for getting back to me! I appreciate the advice. I was able to get the $3640 fare on booking.com when I made the reservation (up to payment) and was allowed to select seats. The only thing I've noticed is that there appears to be one checked back (instead of two?), but it tells me to refer to the SQ website for more detailed baggage options. What is the likelihood of SQ changing flight details?
I'm not sure why I'm so nervous to book... but I will get travel insurance, so perhaps that will help? I might sleep on it and if it's still there in the morning, take the plunge.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:51 pm
THR

Originally Posted by Cushner
Thank you for getting back to me! I appreciate the advice. I was able to get the $3640 fare on booking.com when I made the reservation (up to payment) and was allowed to select seats. The only thing I've noticed is that there appears to be one checked back (instead of two?), but it tells me to refer to the SQ website for more detailed baggage options. What is the likelihood of SQ changing flight details?
I'm not sure why I'm so nervous to book... but I will get travel insurance, so perhaps that will help? I might sleep on it and if it's still there in the morning, take the plunge.
Unlilely they will change flights and if they do they will have to accommodate you.

D fares are just less flexible and non-upgradable but generally good value. You still get all of the business amenities, including lounge access. There is no difference in baggage allowance.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 7:21 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by THR
Unlilely they will change flights and if they do they will have to accommodate you.

D fares are just less flexible and non-upgradable but generally good value. You still get all of the business amenities, including lounge access. There is no difference in baggage allowance.
In case you're concerned about it: If you look up your reservation on the SQ website, it should tell you the baggage allowance applicable to your specific flights.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

I booked the ticket, SFO-DEL-SFO. I can see my reservation on the SQ website, where I was able to choose my meals (looks much better than CX!), add my newly minted SilverKris # and change seat selections.

Thanks for responding to my post; I'm grateful for the advice. I'll report back after the trip, but hopefully I won't have any issues with the booking. One other question though... my flight from SFO gets into Changi at 7pm, and my next flight leaves the next day at 2:35am for Delhi. Does it make sense to go into the Jewel for dinner (I'm a mostly vegetarian who is a sucker for char siu everything) and a nice walk around the indoor forest before heading to the Silverkris lounge, or would you stay airside and just check out some of the gardens airside in the evening?
Thanks again!
THR and sydunipete like this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 3:00 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, SQ TPPS, Accor Diamond
Does it make sense to go into the Jewel for dinner (I'm a mostly vegetarian who is a sucker for char siu everything) and a nice walk around the indoor forest before heading to the Silverkris lounge, or would you stay airside and just check out some of the gardens airside in the evening?
Thanks again!
If you can use the automated passport gates and it’s your first time exploring Jewel, I would definitively recommend checking it out.

They have different dining outlets from a food court in the basement to various other stalls and restaurants. Some may close by 8-9pm (You can look up the F&B in Jewel online and see what appeals to you).

Also, they have a light show on the waterfall (the theme varies) in the evening so you are definitively arriving at the right time!
Cushner likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 4:33 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
I booked the ticket, SFO-DEL-SFO. I can see my reservation on the SQ website, where I was able to choose my meals (looks much better than CX!), add my newly minted SilverKris # and change seat selections.

Thanks for responding to my post; I'm grateful for the advice. I'll report back after the trip, but hopefully I won't have any issues with the booking. One other question though... my flight from SFO gets into Changi at 7pm, and my next flight leaves the next day at 2:35am for Delhi. Does it make sense to go into the Jewel for dinner (I'm a mostly vegetarian who is a sucker for char siu everything) and a nice walk around the indoor forest before heading to the Silverkris lounge, or would you stay airside and just check out some of the gardens airside in the evening?
Thanks again!
I haven't yet visited Jewel - last year we had a similar layover, but one person in our group was reluctant to leave airside, so rather than leave them alone we decided not to do it and just hang out in the lounge instead. If I were feeling awake and energetic enough I'd definitely check out Jewel. The lounge is quite crowded at that time, but the showers are very nice (there might be a wait, so consider that in your timing - maybe visit the lounge first and take a shower before heading to Jewel?), the food is good and diverse and plentiful, and there are good vegetarian options.
Cushner likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 12:29 am

Programs: Airpoints

Thanks again!
You have a fair chunk of time to go landside and it does make sense if you want to. Lessons learned from my first time landside yesterday: if you are going to spend a fair chunk of time landside then pay for your baggage to be stored and carry nothing. This is available land and airside 24h a day.

There is a lot to eat on either side by the time you arrive and there is actually a lot to see and do airside as well as I discovered. If you are really stuck for what to do airside for between 30min to 2 h, there you can also get a massage, that's a nice time eater.
Cushner likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.