Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Which *A FFP would you switch to if you knew you wouldn't make 50k status miles/yr?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which *A FFP would you switch to if you knew you wouldn't make 50k status miles/yr?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2010, 4:23 am

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
Thanks payam81 and kitsura for the heads up!
Old Feb 8, 2010, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I just checked and basically AC/OZ/BD accept the exact same SQ booking classes for mileage accrual.

Since BD offers a 25% bonus even if you fly on other *A airlines... like SQ, doesn't this make it the #1 program in this scenario?

Plus, what really stands out is the miles+cash option. Return BC awards on a *A carrier cost the standard 120k miles. Or you can use 60k + pay 270 GBP. That is a fantastic deal IMO. So basically you can get another BC return flight from Europe to Asia for just 540 GBP. Wow.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 11:51 am

Programs: LH, UA, SQ
Originally Posted by aster
I just checked and basically AC/OZ/BD accept the exact same SQ booking classes for mileage accrual.

Since BD offers a 25% bonus even if you fly on other *A airlines... like SQ, doesn't this make it the #1 program in this scenario?

Plus, what really stands out is the miles+cash option. Return BC awards on a *A carrier cost the standard 120k miles. Or you can use 60k + pay 270 GBP. That is a fantastic deal IMO. So basically you can get another BC return flight from Europe to Asia for just 540 GBP. Wow.
Welcome to the world of FlyerTalk. If you follow the discussions in BD forum, you may notice that many FTers have flown in C or F or even the Suites on SQ. Thanks to the cash + miles options! ^
Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:50 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by dazz81
You need 16,000 to get silver, then 38k to get gold, so initial qualification is 54k, then its 38k per year after that. .
BMI has a free ""upgrade" to silver for new sign ups" promotion going on, so if you sign up now, you will only need 38k miles in 12 months for BMI gold. BMI also converts status miles into destination miles after you reach a threshold, so if you are likely to clock in a lot of miles, do look at these intricate BMI rules on the BMI thread.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec; AA Platinum; SPG Gold; PC Platinum Ambassador
BMI also has a new family membership, allowing you to pool your miles with other family members- don't know too much about it but there's a lot more info over on the BMI forum- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-d...-comments.html

Originally Posted by payam81
SQ does block award J/F seats on certain routes and equipment (77W, A380) for *A partners, so take that in to consideration. If your award redemption is mainly on SQ I suggest you do a MR and make the 50K and stay with KrisFlyer, that would be the best route to get awards on SQ.

If you will mainly redeem for Y, then that's not an issue.
I found redemptions in Y class on SQ flights easier to obtain using my MP miles than my KF miles. Also no fuel surcharges when redeeming MP miles on SQ flights, unlike the fees when using KF miles. So although 100% of my redemptions are on SQ (and 90% of the miles flown), I prefer to put my miles into another *A program.

Originally Posted by kitsura
That is affirmative only SQ miles are eligible for upgrades.

Refer to point 10.
https://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_...ms.jsp#Header5
Not true- you are just looking at the rules for the KF program. MP members report getting upgrades using United miles- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13167856-post7.html
Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:47 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by friendlyplanet
Not true- you are just looking at the rules for the KF program. MP members report getting upgrades using United miles- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13167856-post7.html
This is an interesting observation. I remebered there was a section on *A website dealing with this so here it is affirming your find:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...pgrade-awards/

BD, AC and a bunch of others do not participate in this scheme though.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:52 pm

I found redemptions in Y class on SQ flights easier to obtain using my MP miles than my KF miles. Also no fuel surcharges when redeeming MP miles on SQ flights, unlike the fees when using KF miles. So although 100% of my redemptions are on SQ (and 90% of the miles flown), I prefer to put my miles into another *A program.
Yes, I was referring to J/F redemptions. You won't be able to use MP or any other *A miles for meaningful J/F redemption on the most useful routes on SQ. Personally I only redeem for J/F and know a lot of other people who never redeem for Y so that's why I brought it up. Good points re: fuel surcharge though. I overlooked that.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:38 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
BMI also has a new family membership, allowing you to pool your miles with other family members- don't know too much about it but there's a lot more info over on the BMI forum- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-d...-comments.html
OZ has the Family Mileage Plan which allows mileage pooling amongst family members too.

I always found the extra fees for SQ miles redemption annoying. I didn't know that MP and maybe other FPP miles allows one to bypass those charges. I guess it's a good idea that I switched away from accruing miles on my SQ account.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by payam81
Yes, I was referring to J/F redemptions. You won't be able to use MP or any other *A miles for meaningful J/F redemption on the most useful routes on SQ.
How is the redemption done, is it always via the phone or can you book a *A award online?

Forget upgrades, with the great miles+cash option that this FFP offers you can book seats with 1/2 the usual miles plus a few bucks.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
BMI has a free ""upgrade" to silver for new sign ups" promotion going on, so if you sign up now, you will only need 38k miles in 12 months for BMI gold. BMI also converts status miles into destination miles after you reach a threshold, so if you are likely to clock in a lot of miles, do look at these intricate BMI rules on the BMI thread.
Is there a special link I need to use or is it automatic (the instant Silver status)? Because I can't find any info about this on their site.

What do you mean by converting status miles into destination miles? Qualifying miles are counted as both, so does this mean that your mileage balance is doubled after reaching a certain threshold?

I think I'm going to make 50k on KF to qualify for renewal, but as soon as I hit that target I will start collecting miles in BMI's Diamond Club as the miles+cash option and the 25% bonus on *A flights seems like a better deal than what KF is giving me.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:59 pm

How is the redemption done, is it always via the phone or can you book a *A award online?

Forget upgrades, with the great miles+cash option that this FFP offers you can book seats with 1/2 the usual miles plus a few bucks.
Redemption via Aeroplan you mean? You can do it either way, however regardless of *A partner program you choose, SQ will only release J/F on their premium planes to KF redemptions only. I don't know whether or not BD's FFP with the cash + mile option would be excluded or not though. If you plan on redeeming J/F on SQ, you must make certain you can do so with the program you're considering. Y redemptions are fine though.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 7:37 pm

Is there a special link I need to use or is it automatic (the instant Silver status)? Because I can't find any info about this on their site.

What do you mean by converting status miles into destination miles? Qualifying miles are counted as both, so does this mean that your mileage balance is doubled after reaching a certain threshold?

I think I'm going to make 50k on KF to qualify for renewal, but as soon as I hit that target I will start collecting miles in BMI's Diamond Club as the miles+cash option and the 25% bonus on *A flights seems like a better deal than what KF is giving me.
This has also got me thinking about maybe splitting between Aeroplan and Diamond Club. I'm going to be doing about 200K this year so I can easily get my AP Super Elite and get Gold, which is their top status, with Diamond Club as well with status miles to spare, however unless you can get comped to Silver, it is gonna take 54'000 to get *Gold. This is where Aeroplan shines with only 35'000 requirement for *Gold per calendar year.

Here are a few quotes from the excellent FAQ over at the BD forum:

38K for Star Gold? That’s a steal! Let me at it!
Yes, you only need to 38,000 miles to keep your Gold card. But you have to earn Silver first (unless you’ve been comped, obviously) which requires 16,000 miles. So, from a standing start (i.e. no status) you need 54,000 to achieve Gold. Note the new Blue Plus tier, which used to give you a sandwich and a drink on board bmi flights has been abolished and the total over requirement is now 3k lower than before. You may find Air Canada slightly easier at only 35,000 in a single calendar year, but Diamond Club has excellent redemption value thanks to useful options such as using cash+miles.
And this one deals with your question about the status miles to destination miles conversion, which also peaked my interest!

What about the Gold 55K threshold?
Well, for high earners, this is where a good programme becomes truly great. The old complaint was that once you got Gold status, well, there was nothing better to aim for. Other programmes offered extra upgrades, or a Platinum level or whatever.
In 2006, bmi came up with this: If you have Gold status, bmi will "convert" any (up to a maximum of 250,000) status miles in excess of 55k to bonus destination miles - i.e. the equivalent amount of destinations miles will be credited to your account. These bonuses should credit as part of your Gold status bonus - ie. bmi flights at 35%+100%=135% and partner flights at 25%+100%=125% of the base miles.

Your status miles total stays the same - the miles aren't deducted once they have been 'converted'. At the end of your membership year, of course, your status miles total is reset to 0 and you have to get back up to 55,000 in your next membership year before you earn any further rollover bonus destinations miles.

If you think about this, you can rack up a serious amount of miles on the back of this. Consider a trip to Australia on LH First, for a Gold member, with more than 55k status miles in his a/c:

* LHR-FRA-SIN-SYD: 10890 miles x 3 = 32,670 (YMMV)
* Gold 55K conversion: 32,670
* Regular status bonus: @25% = 2722

That gives a total of 68,062 miles each way or 136,124 miles return. Or 625% of the distance. Now, if you could combine this with an occasional double miles promo, well then, you could be looking at 825%. Not bad for a day sitting round drinking champage?
This is nice, almost sick! Even as a Super Elite with AP, qualifying after 100'000 EQM, I only get a 100% bonus on base miles on AC metal and up to 150% COS on AC and a few others! These guys are offering a 125% bonus on *A not to mention a serious COS bonus! Only imagine if it also rolled over when qualification year ended! Aeroplan's bonus does roll over so, that's a slight advantage specially since I fly mostly on AC metal.

Amazing stuff... specially if you don't care about upgrades or you fly mainly in paid F/J!

I say dump KF and go with these guys, you will rack up quite a lot of miles and with their amazing redemptions you can get a lot of return for your bum in the seat! I think I'll start earning on them after I hit 100K this year on AP and see how it goes!

Last edited by payam81; Feb 10, 2010 at 7:51 pm
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

I meant DC. Thanks for the info, I didn't know it was that difficult to redeem on SQ. Can a DC member check availability of SQ award online, or is it only possible on the phone?

As far as SQ premium planes are concerned, YES - redeeming as a KF member is straightforward... but KF does not offer Saver awards on the A380/777-300ER. Hence paying double the miles is a waste, and what's worse is that on routes like LHR-SIN you have no other planes available... so no saver awards at all on that route.

So as long as booking business seats on SQ using DC miles is possible on other planes, it seems like the right choice to switch to this program.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:04 pm

I meant DC. Thanks for the info, I didn't know it was that difficult to redeem on SQ. Can a DC member check availability of SQ award online, or is it only possible on the phone?

As far as SQ premium planes are concerned, YES - redeeming as a KF member is straightforward... but KF does not offer Saver awards on the A380/777-300ER. Hence paying double the miles is a waste, and what's worse is that on routes like LHR-SIN you have no other planes available... so no saver awards at all on that route.

So as long as booking business seats on SQ using DC miles is possible on other planes, it seems like the right choice to switch to this program.
I think you should post on BD forum and ask the guys over there. My gut feeling is Diamond Club, even with miles + cash option is still gonna be blocked from the premium SQ flights. At least a KF you can redeem, however exorbinant as the miles are, for an important route like LHR - SIN. Other *A earners aren't so lucky. I resort to redeeming on TG or LH. TG returns good value at 140'000 for F or only 100'000 for J considering Y is 70'000!

Surprisingly the same route redeemed via Diamond Club would be (a staggering!) 200'000 for F, 120'000 for J and 80'000 for Y. The cash option will bring the mileages down: going for F will cost 100'000 miles and £670! That's not really bad at all! It will give you a chance to not dip too deep in to your mileage pool at a very reasonable cost.

Now I can understand a bit as to why BD Diamond Club has such a generous bonus program in place. They seem to position their redemption so most people go for the miles + cash option.

The perfect FFP only lives in FTers minds!
Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov

BMI Diamond Club is great to get *Alliance Gold fast, and for the miles plus cash options. However, as I am finding out, it is quite difficult to get J/F award seats on SQ using BMI points (although in my experience, redeeming SQ Ecomony seats is easier).

Please also keep in mind the following "benefits" of accruing miles in SQ Krisflyer:
1. 15% discount for online redemptions

2. You can accrue Krisflyer miles by getting credit cards like DBS Treasures Black Amex, Krisflyer Gold AMEX card, and some others like the Citibank cards. I see that you are SIN based, so you should look closely at this. Note that BMI has an AMEX card, but you can only get it if you are UK based.

3. If you have status on Krisflyer, you will get priority in award redemption waitlists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.