No headphones during takeoff/landing

Subscribe
Flying from SYD up to CFS on a QantasLink 400Q last week I was asked to remove my Shure in-ear headphones during both takeoff and landing. On landing I was even asked to do this about 5-10 mins before the seatbelt sign was even turned on for landing. The headphones weren't plugged into anything (in effect during takeoff/landing I was just using them as earplugs)

Anyone know if this is a new requirement? I'm guessing the logic is that if there's an emergency it will be more difficult to hear any crew instructions, but it's not nothing I've been asked to do of any of the dozen or so airlines I've flown in the past few few years.
Maybe the FA thought they were connected to an Mp3 or Ipod like device which is not allowed to be used during takeoff/landing.
Nope, she even made the comment that she knew they weren't connected to anything, which was fairly clear as the cord from the headphones themselves is only about 25cm long, and thus the end hangs around chest-level (normally you attached an extension cable, but I never have that on when I'm not using them for audio).

I found it interesting on a recent AC flight, the announcement specifically prohibited over ear headphones for takeoff and landing. Apparently, on AC, earbuds are ok.
It would seem basic common sense that having earphones on, in case of an emergency, is not the best thing. If evacuation instructions or any sort of information needs to be given out urgently, i think it absurd that anyone could expect to receive a personalized instruction because their earphones were on.
how on earth did we ever survive in the old days of topped up wine glasses until the wheels touched the ground, AV running until at gate, etc, etc (AN, I know)....
Quote: ... AV running until at gate, etc, etc (AN, I know)....
Seems to me that QF is one of the very few that turns the system off early.
Quote: AV running until at gate, etc, etc (AN, I know)....
Of course, today there is only 1 domestic airline that offers "gate to gate" AV, and that is Virgin Blue, with Live2Air - http://www.virginblue.com.au/Persona...FAQs/index.htm (737s)

(On longer domestic services, where Jetstar offers Video Rental Players, they are obsessive about collecting them way before the top of descent.

Qantas domestic only offers main-screen video, which is normally well over by the time the seat belt sign goes on.

Tiger, Skywest & Rex do not offer AV-based services onboard their aircraft
.)
This is becoming quite common now - noticed the change myself recently on QF (was both announced and enforced) and BA have had such a policy (often quite vigorously enforced) for a few years.

Rationale given is that its a safety policy so that you can hear all announcements in an emergency, and have nothing that can impeded your quick evacuation of the aircraft (you know, like a headphone cord, plugged into the seat socket, wrapping around your neck as you rush from your seat!).
Are QF going to let you use the AVOD Gate to Gate, on the new AKL based ZK-ZQA/B/C.

Seems a bit stupid if they dont, since NZ has gate to gate on there A320s.

JQNZ lets you use there own Audio Channels on landing.
I've encountered this many times. Trouble for me is, I'm deaf, and the only way I can understand any announcements is to listen to them with the IFE headphones, with the volume turned up to maximum.

I am unclear how removing this from me at the time it's most likely to be needed makes me safer. And I'm tired of having the argument with the FA every time.

Audrey
I've often seen the opposite - FA's ignoring guys with full size over ear Bose headphones on with their 'on' LED clearly glowing during taxi/takeoff and landing.
QF wont be offering gate to gate entertainment.

The reason is three fold:

1. Safety, preparing the cabin for landing is for passengers as much as it is for the crew.

2. In arm entertainment screens are to be stowed during critical phases of flight which affect 18 seats onboard (12 in J, 6 at row 4 bulkhead) and

3 (this is a very minor issue on its own, but adds to the above). Feedback from other airlines has stated that headset collection on the ground is timely and when a crew change is completed can add up between 7-10 minutes for cabin cleaning after a full flight.

Personally I feel more comfortable having the majority of passengers alert and somewhat prepared for anything during take off and landing and passengers can be the eyes and ears for the crew during these times as we can barely see anything from most crew seats.
Safety points taken, but I do think that QF's IFE could go on a lot earlier than it tends to, and not need to be turned off as early as it is.

I like it when the moving map is left on, I notice this usually focuses passengers attention and they know what is going on, ie: how close to landing you are.
as I said before, how on earth did we all survive in the old days...