Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Increases Checked Bag Charges by $5 - for tickets purchased on/after Aug 14, 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Increases Checked Bag Charges by $5 - for tickets purchased on/after Aug 14, 2009

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2009, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, National Executive

I am glad I have status!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Americ....html?x=0&.v=1

Link to AA.com announcement cited in Post #7 (added by moderator)

Last edited by dstan; Jul 24, 2009 at 4:32 pm
Old Jul 24, 2009, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by pilotscott
Certainly expected. Although the other airlines tied the higher fee to airport check in only. My only surprise was that AA did not begin to charge for International travel (with the same exceptions to domestic tixs).
Old Jul 24, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Club Gold, HHonors Gold
Wow.. that can quickly add up for a traveling family with no status!
Old Jul 24, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: I fly whomever offers the best flight(s) where and when I want to go (with some exceptions...)
Originally Posted by pilotscott
Glad I already purchased my ticket for travel just before Xmas....
Old Jul 24, 2009, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club - AAdvantage - Hawaiian Miles - SPG Member
Way to go American always first to start a trend a little here a little there and before you know it you are paying more for bags then you are for your ticket (maybe a little over the top but you get the point)
Old Jul 24, 2009, 3:06 pm

Programs: Grounded
Ouch, slightly worse than what US, UA, and DL/NW are doing. As I understand it, those are a $5/bag fee for the "convenience" of paying at the kiosk/TA.

Looks like AA's just going +$5/bag straight through.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 3:26 pm
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Now posted on aa.com...

Important Changes To Checked Bag Charges

Link to aa.com
Old Jul 24, 2009, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
The FA's announced before a recent (very full) flight that gate-checking would be free. Look for more people to game the system by carrying on more bags than will fit on the plane (with a corresponding impact on on-time performance...)
Old Jul 24, 2009, 3:45 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Plat, IHG-Plat
Passenger announces changes in plans to fly AA in the future

I would like to announce a change in my plans to fly AA in the future, unless of course the total cost of the flight including the extra fees is very much less than other airlines.

Of course these extra fees are going to keep increasing unless many other passengers also switch to airlines which do not have the highest extra fees.

For domestic flights I would be willing to pay a little more all in for an airline like Southwest with no extra fees at all. Just avoiding the hassle of extra boarding/deplaning time caused by passengers trying to jam huge carryons into the overhead space to avoid the fee is worth it to me.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 3:48 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by trog
I would like to announce a change in my plans to fly AA in the future, unless of course the total cost of the flight including the extra fees is very much less than other airlines.

Of course these extra fees are going to keep increasing unless many other passengers also switch to airlines which do not have the highest extra fees.
Thanks for letting us know. I daresay others (with the exception of WN) will likely follow, so you don't have many places to go.

Also, consider that most here are elites and, as such, not subject to these fees. Suffice it to say that some of us likely don't care about this,and would devote our energies elsewhere.

Cheers.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 4:30 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
FAQ and wiki update. Thanks.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by Mr Intenze
Way to go American always first to start a trend a little here a little there and before you know it you are paying more for bags then you are for your ticket (maybe a little over the top but you get the point)
Not at all over the top. AA change fees started at $25; they are now at $150, in some cases higher than the cost of the ticket!

Last edited by hillrider; Jul 25, 2009 at 12:27 am
Old Jul 25, 2009, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by dstan
FAQ and wiki update. Thanks.
Wiki is editable by all (hint hint)
Old Jul 25, 2009, 1:49 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Plat, IHG-Plat
Originally Posted by brp
Thanks for letting us know. I daresay others (with the exception of WN) will likely follow, so you don't have many places to go.

Also, consider that most here are elites and, as such, not subject to these fees. Suffice it to say that some of us likely don't care about this,and would devote our energies elsewhere.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by hillrider

Not at all over the top. AA change fees started at $25; they are now at $150, in some cases higher than the cost of the ticket!

Hopefully eventually the only passengers that fly AA will be the elites who aren't affected by the fees and don't care. I know this probably won't happen but these extra fees are really getting out of hand. Yes, it is possible that some other airlines will pick up the extra fees, making YX even more attractive to non elites flying domestically.

I just don't understand in this economy why all airlines are not going the extra mile to be customer friendly for everyone and then still wonder why their passenger loads are down. Paying 30 or 40 dollars more for an already cheap ticket to eliminate the irritation of the checked first bag fee and the punitive change fee would be well worth it for myself and some other leisure passengers. (And would eliminate the need to annoy other passengers with a maximum size heavy carryon )

In my opinion hotels and restaurants are doing a much better job in this economy than airlines in finding creative ways to maintain as much business as possible. Increasing irritating fees is not one of the strategies that is being successfully used to attract customers.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 5:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
I don't know about you but I tend to think beyond just me and my EXP status.. some family members don't have status and they fly without me.. in the end as an EXP it will still come out of my pocket so I still don't like it

I would agree with the WN poster.. for some specific flights it will start making sense to use WN for travel based on the all inclusive price alone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.