small alcohol bottles in carry-on

Subscribe
Hi,

I am flying aer lingus boston to dublin and would like to bring one or two small bottles of alcohol with me (the tiny ones you get in hotels etc). I have heard that this is ok - is it? Also, if anyone else has done this, do you show security like you would with other liquids or is it best to just leave in the bag?

Thanks,

David
First, welcome to Flyertalk!

No problem to carry them on... however, since they are liquids they must be in your one allowed baggie. Otherwise, if found, they could be destroyed.

Also, if you plan to drink them on the plane, do not be too obvious... technically, you are not allowed to consume any alcohol that is not served by the crew.
Chug them while you wait in the security line.
mini bottles of booze at 100ml or less are allowed through security. They go in your freedom baggie with the other liquids. I fly with them quite often and never have issues.

As mentioned above, drinking them on the plane is another matter. You can get in trouble for drinking booze not served by the FAs.

Ciao,
FH
Quote: mini bottles of booze at 100ml or less are allowed through security. They go in your freedom baggie with the other liquids. I fly with them quite often and never have issues.

As mentioned above, drinking them on the plane is another matter. You can get in trouble for drinking booze not served by the FAs.

Ciao,
FH
Only if you get caught!!!!!
You are allowed to carry them on in the Kippie baggie. The TSA is not in the business of being the revenue police. If airlines want to charge $5-7 a pop for a small airline bottle of booze, they can expect some small scale smuggling. I've seen people ask for just a cup of ice, and the FA just smiles and lets them have it, so it seems to be "don't ask, don't tell" as far as regulations about drinking booze you bought onboard yourself. But the polite thing is to not become visibly intoxicated and not let the FA notice anything that might force her to feel obligated to take action.
Quote: But the polite thing is to not become visibly intoxicated
Ah, but what fun is that?
Unless I’m being thick, I don’t think the OP wanted to consume in flight.
Quote: Unless I’m being thick, I don’t think the OP wanted to consume in flight.
Or it is a case of 'can I do this' and at the end of the flight 'the screw top must have worked free'
I've been carrying a little bourbon with me for a while now. It's been consumed on board and replenished a number of times, no worries. You just need to be discrete about it.

I've also got a flask, it's two 3 oz mini flasks that fit together in a sleeve that I've been thinking about taking, just for the fun of it. They're stamped "3 oz." on the bottom. Anyone try this one?
You should be OK - the only country I know where small quantities of alcohol or alcohol-based fluids are confiscated is China, where, for example, I have seen people with hand sanitizer bottles under 100 ml have them confiscated.
If they are plastic bottles with plastic lids, no metal at all, you can just put them in ur pant pockets and walk thru the metal detector. When im loaded up on liquids in the quart size bag, I put extras in my pocket. Never have had a problem.
If you're really worried about being caught, develop a liking for peppermint schnapps (throw in some green food coloring, and it's mouthwash) and coke - although I've never been caught with my little bottles of Woodford.
Quote: Hi,

I am flying aer lingus boston to dublin and would like to bring one or two small bottles of alcohol with me (the tiny ones you get in hotels etc). I have heard that this is ok - is it? Also, if anyone else has done this, do you show security like you would with other liquids or is it best to just leave in the bag?

Thanks,

David
Welcome David.

The only issue I can see is if you try and bring more than can be fit into a single 1 quart clear zip top baggie, or if the concentration of alcohol is more than 70% (which most of them are not).

Leave them in the baggie. As long as you stick that that they should not try and take them, but if they do ask immediately for a supervisor.
Quote: Welcome David.

The only issue I can see is if you try and bring more than can be fit into a single 1 quart clear zip top baggie, or if the concentration of alcohol is more than 70% (which most of them are not).

Leave them in the baggie. As long as you stick that that they should not try and take them, but if they do ask immediately for a supervisor.
Just to add, I've done this with 50mL Grey Goose several times without issue.

Once they actually checked the alcohol content. ^

(Not familiar with finer Vodka, I guess. My Chamborde would have a tougher mental challenge).