Power Adapter for Kindle, iPod

Subscribe
Both the kindle and iPod can be charged using USB or with an adapter to plug into the wall. Does anyone know if these are the same and I can leave one at home?
The cables are not the same. The Kindle I has a separate charger and data cable. The Kindle II is micro USB to USB. The iPod is proprietary. You can use the same USB charger, but you need different cables.
I've found that not all USB chargers work with the iPod, depending on what kind of iPod you have. My cheapo USB charger worked with my 2G iPod Nano but not with my 4G one.
On the same topic - here is an iGo charging kit for the Kindle, on sale at Amazon for just $5.

Amazon link

Add some more iGo tips, and you get yourself a really nice charging kit for your gadgets.
Quote: On the same topic - here is an iGo charging kit for the Kindle, on sale at Amazon for just $5.

Amazon link

Add some more iGo tips, and you get yourself a really nice charging kit for your gadgets.
That's a friggin' steal, Scott. I don't have a Kindle, but that's a nice accessory to add to my iGo system for <$5.

Quote: I've found that not all USB chargers work with the iPod, depending on what kind of iPod you have. My cheapo USB charger worked with my 2G iPod Nano but not with my 4G one.
Some Apple devices want to see voltage on the USB data pins to enable full-power charging (which is how the USB spec is actually written). The 3G iPhone is definitely one of those devices. You can do it with a soldering iron and 2 resistors. I modified a generic USB car charger to put the right voltage on the pins. Basically, you do this:

Code:
5V---170Kohm---+---+---170Kohm---Gnd
               |   |
              D+  D-
That'll get you 2.x volts on the data pins, which will make an iPhone happy. More details here:

http://tzywen.com/modules.php?name=N...rticle&sid=696

Down in the comments is a link to a photo of the crude ASCII sketch I did.
When I plug my kindle 2 cable into either of my two ipod "cube" chargers, the yellow kindle charging light blinks. With the kindle charger the kindle charging light stays lit.

That's been enough for me to carry both chargers. Do others see the behavior, does it make a difference?

For some reason I never tried ipod touch with kindle 2 charger until a few minutes ago. I'm unaware of problems. That seems the way to go. [If you don't have a 3rd party charger.]
Quote: That's been enough for me to carry both chargers. Do others see the behavior, does it make a difference?
I just charge all my USB-based devices from my laptop. Fewer power supplies to carry and they all pretty much just work.
I think that the charger that came with my kindle2 is the smallest one I've seen. I use it to charge my kindle, my ipod and my blackberry (all with their own cable).
I use one of these power strips when i am on the road, it has a built-in usb port so all you need to bring are the cables. for me that is only a mini-usb cable as blackberry, camera, and hard drive all use mini.

http://www.amazon.com/Outlets-To-Go-...3884902&sr=8-1
quite a bit larger than this one....no extra AC outlets, but powers usb just fine

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-...4001419&sr=8-6
I use a Chargepod to charge up to 6 small devices at once. One charger to carry.

http://www.callpod.com/products/chargepod
Quote: I think that the charger that came with my kindle2 is the smallest one I've seen. I use it to charge my kindle, my ipod and my blackberry (all with their own cable).
Yeah, when I first got the Kindle 2 it took me a minute to realize that that impossibly small plug was actually a usb charger.
Anyone know if a Blackberry OEM micro-usb travel charger (the kind with the flip prongs) works to charge a Kindle?
Quote: Anyone know if a Blackberry OEM micro-usb travel charger (the kind with the flip prongs) works to charge a Kindle?
I don't think that it does. I can't remember if it was my Kindle 2 or the DX but fairly certain it does not work.

I just take my iGo charger and adapters. Makes it so much easier.
Quote: Anyone know if a Blackberry OEM micro-usb travel charger (the kind with the flip prongs) works to charge a Kindle?
It does. I use mine all the time for Blackberry and Kindle.