Minimum age to enjoy Costa Rica?

Subscribe
My two daughters would be six and eight 1/2 years old when I am thinking of taking them to CR. Is that too young for them to enjoy the unique nature that is down there?

They have already been to Hawaii, Europe, and Puerto Rico (and Florida multiple times, if that counts), so they are fairly well traveled. I just didn't know if some mild treks through the rainforest, etc. would be overwhelming. Should I wait until they get a little older to truly appreciate the natural beauty that is there?
what's your agenda going to be ?

volcanoes= they can enjoy them
rafting= no
canopy=no
beaches=yes
rainforest=yes (but even as an adult I find it hard to enjoy those, its very hard to spot most fauna in it specially in daylight)

if you are going to be anywhere near the Central Valley then I would recommend you go to the INBIO Park
I took my 2 year old and 4 year old to Costa Rica last month.

They enjoyed CR just as much as they did Belize and Puerto Rico.

We stayed on Flamingo Beach - What age kid doesn't love the beach and a nice hotel pool?

We spent a lot of time close to the beach and pool, but we took two all-day drives:

We swam in waterfalls - What age wouldn't love to swim in a pool at the base of a waterfall?

They loved the volcanoes & the cloud forest.

We saw monkeys in the trees on the side of the road - What age kid wouldn't love that?

Like all kids they are going to take away memories that are linked to their age and what they think is great might be different from you.
bring them!
My four year old monstrita is growing up here. She seems to like everything!
Quote: I took my 2 year old and 4 year old to Costa Rica last month.

They enjoyed CR just as much as they did Belize and Puerto Rico.

We stayed on Flamingo Beach - What age kid doesn't love the beach and a nice hotel pool?

We spent a lot of time close to the beach and pool, but we took two all-day drives:

We swam in waterfalls - What age wouldn't love to swim in a pool at the base of a waterfall?

They loved the volcanoes & the cloud forest.

We saw monkeys in the trees on the side of the road - What age kid wouldn't love that?

Like all kids they are going to take away memories that are linked to their age and what they think is great might be different from you.
MKEbound - My daughters swam in a waterfall in El Yunque in PR. They loved it.

Everyone - the hotel that we choose will definitely have its own beach and pool complex. That part is a must.

Monkeys in their natural environs would be a huge treat. That would definitely be a highlight. The more animals the better.

Thanks for your feedback!!
monkeys / monos
Quote: ..snipped mucho...

Monkeys in their natural environs would be a huge treat. That would definitely be a highlight. The more animals the better.

You might try Monteverde. The road, well, isn't, but the flora/fauna is about as good as it gets. Lots of monos (monkeys), especially at dawn and at dusk. There are some other places along the Pacific coast south of Jaco/north of Parrita that also have good concentrations of monkeys...
Quote: MKEbound - My daughters swam in a waterfall in El Yunque in PR. They loved it.

Everyone - the hotel that we choose will definitely have its own beach and pool complex. That part is a must.

Feel free to PM me is you would like more details.
just got back from Panama, go there instead.
I think those are perfect ages to enjoy most things in Costa Rica. Lots of nature, beach and other stuff to do.
Climbguy-Can you elaborate on Panama?

I think the kids would love Costa Rica, we went for Spring Break with a 10 and 15 year old but thought you could definitely do it with younger children as all the posters stated.

BTW, our canopy director said they take children age 3 and older. They actually strap them in with a parent. We saw pictures. Not sure I would do it but the kids looked like they were having a blast.
Well, our trip did not come together when I started this thread three years ago. We are going now. In March, 2013 my daughters will be eight and 10 1/2.

We fly into Liberia, are spending four nights in LaFortuna, then four in Herradura, then three in Quepos, followed by one night in San Jose, then leaving out of SJO.

My girls want to do the canopy tour. The one that I was looking at said that they had to be five years old, so I now feel that they can safely do that activity.

Any other child friendly recommendations are appreciated.
Quote: just got back from Panama, go there instead.
Sorry Panama was a huge let down compared to CR.

Traveled to CR with my two nephews who at the time were were six and three. They both thoroughly enjoyed CR with the highlights being the large concentration of animals. They even enjoyed some river rafting as well at Arenal.
Loomis, where will you be staying?
I'm currently planning a trip for March 2013 also. We fly into and out of Liberia and will spend 3-4 days in La Fortuna and then 2-3 on the beach somewhere, probably Guanacaste.

I've been looking at hotels in La Fortuna all evening and am overwhelmed as there are so many great choices. Husband wants to stay at The Springs and I'm partial to Leaves and Lizards.

BTW, our kids will be 14, 12 and 9 at the time of our visit.

Anita
Quote: I'm currently planning a trip for March 2013 also. We fly into and out of Liberia and will spend 3-4 days in La Fortuna and then 2-3 on the beach somewhere, probably Guanacaste.

I've been looking at hotels in La Fortuna all evening and am overwhelmed as there are so many great choices. Husband wants to stay at The Springs and I'm partial to Leaves and Lizards.

BTW, our kids will be 14, 12 and 9 at the time of our visit.

Anita
We will be staying in a tree house!!

Details here: http://treehouseshotelcostarica.com/

It gets great reviews on TripAdvisor, BTW.