PV Alert: Can I Take Photos at the Checkpoint and Airport?

Subscribe
From TheRoadie:

Quote:
I predict that any photography of TSA staff would be considered interference by them ..... of their delightful immunity from accountability and presumed anonymity.
That's no problem. Just tell them they have nothing to worry about from your videography violating their right to anonymity IF THEY HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE. They like that kind of argument, and many of them make that kind of argument all the time.
A young woman decided she wanted to take a picture of the checkpoint the other day. Specifically me, since I was standing out in front of the TDC podium waiting for the next passenger to wander up to the checkpoint, and she was sitting in the waiting area for inbound passengers to the left, so I was the only part of the checkpoint she could've actually seen.

The only response I had was to suck in my gut a little bit. :P
update on survey of 50 airports' polices re: photography of publicly-accessible areas
Quote: I took Bob's advice and used TSA's "Got Feedback?" form to ask about photography policies at each of 50 major U.S. airports.
Following are the e-mail exchanges I had today with each of six TSA respondents for whom I am not still awaiting replies. In most of those cases, my next step will be to contact another individual, to whom I was referred by TSA, for more information. Nine others from TSA with whom I am still engaged in conversation have responded, and I'll post our exchanges here once they've provided the information Bob said that they would provide. I have not yet received a response from the other 35 or so TSA representatives.

I have trimmed quotations of previous messages from each message, and I have removed my e-mail address from each. As these are public employees working in public relations positions, I have not removed TSA e-mail addresses.
TSA re: airport photography policies: Dallas/Fort Worth International (DFW)
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:41:30 -0400
Subject: RE: Got Feedback : Dallas/Fort Worth International (DFW)
To: Phil Mocek

Phillip,
Do you have a telephone number where I can call you.

Chuck Sloan
Customer Service Manager
Transportation Security Administration
DFW International Airport
O. 469.948.1828
C. 817.233.0432
F. 972.745.4369
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 12:23:45 -0400
Cc: GotFeedback <Gotfeedback%AT%dhs.gov>

TSA/DFW nor DFW International Airport has a prohibition regarding passengers taking pictures here at DFW. DFW Airport Authority does have a permit requirement should the photography be used for commercial purposes.

Chuck Sloan
Customer Service Manager
O. 469.948.1828
C. 817.233.0432
F. 972.745.4369
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:41:36 -0700
Subject: Re: Got Feedback : Dallas/Fort Worth International (DFW)
To: Chuck Sloan - TSA <Chuck.Sloan%AT%dhs.gov>

Thank you, Mr. Sloan, for confirming that TSA does not prohibit photography of publicly-accessible areas of Dallas Fort Worth International airport for non-commercial purposes, and that photography for commercial purposes requires expressed approval of the DFW Airport Authority. There tends to be confusion over whether photography in airports is allowed, particularly at security checkpoints.

Upon the suggestion of Bob Burns at TSA, I asked if you were aware of any applicable local laws, state statutes, or local ordinances. You did not mention any in your response, so I'll assume that you are unaware of any.

I believe that it is important for everyone to be aware of what the law requires him to do and to comply with those requirements. I also believe it is important for people who are going about their business in a lawful manner to be allowed to do so without interference from agents of their government. TSA staff representing *other* airports have indicated to me that such unwarranted interference is quite likely in the event that someone photographs what he and thousands of other people see with their own eyes at a TSA airport checkpoint.

--
Phil Mocek

(The following was added to this comment 2009-04-02 15:44 -0700.)

Quote:
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 09:20:11 -0400

DFW Airport has there own local ordinances, (DFW Airport Rules and Regulations) that can be found on their website at www.dfwairport.com. Look under publications. There is no mention of photography other than the permit issue for commercial.

Chuck Sloan
Customer Service Manager
O. 469.948.1828
C. 817.233.0432
F. 972.745.4369
Quote:
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 07:45:53 -0700
To: Chuck Sloan - TSA <Chuck.Sloan%AT%dhs.gov>

Thanks, Mr. Sloan. Could you please tell me who at DFW Airport I should contact to receive the information I seek? A name and e-mail address, postal address, or phone number (in that order of preference) would be much appreciated.

Your colleague Bob Burns at TSA wrote in his post about airport photography that if whoever responded to a "Got Feedback?" inquiry about specific policies at an airport was unable to provide an answer, that person would connect us with someone who does. It's helpful to know that you, as Customer Service Manager for DFW, are unaware of any restrictions on non-commercial photography and video recording in publicly-accessible areas of the airport, but I want to be sure I contact someone who is an authoritative source for the information. I would hate to be at the airport and have someone tell me that what I was doing was prohibited and not know for sure whether I was in violation of the law or simply being hassled by an over-zealous security guard.

--
Phil Mocek
Quote:
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 11:06:46 -0400
Cc: lyoung%AT%dfwairport.com

By copy of this e-mail, Leslie Young in DFW Airport Legal has your request.

Chuck Sloan
Customer Service Manager
O. 469.948.1828
C. 817.233.0432
F. 972.745.4369
Quote:
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 08:24:58 -0700
To: Chuck Sloan - TSA <Chuck.Sloan%AT%dhs.gov>,
Leslie Young - DFW Airport <lyoung%AT%dfwairport.com>

Thank you, Mr. Sloan.

Ms. Young, I look forward to your response.

--
Phil Mocek
Quote:
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 11:34:30 -0500
Subject: FW: Got Feedback : Dallas/Fort Worth International (DFW)
Cc: chuck.sloan%AT%dhs.gov

Mr. Mocek -

According the General Counsel for the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport Board, the answer is that DFW Airport Rules and Regulations do not speak to non-commercial photography.

Sincerely,

Leslie Young

Legal Assistant
DFW International Airport Board
P.O. Box 619428
DFW Airport, Texas 75261
Quote:
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 10:01:55 -0700
Subject: Re: FW: Got Feedback : Dallas/Fort Worth International (DFW)
To: Leslie Young - DFW International Airport Board <LYoung%AT%dfwairport.com>
Cc: GotFeedback <Gotfeedback%AT%dhs.gov>, Chuck Sloan - TSA <chuck.sloan%AT%dhs.gov>

Thank you, Ms. Young. I suspect that it would have been quite difficult for me or any other member of the public to locate the information you provided by myself.

Since TSA has announced that it does not restrict photography or video recording in airports (other than to prohibit it in cases where it interferes with TSA or airport operations and to discourage but not prohibit filming or photography of their x-ray equipment), and the TSA Customer Service Manager at DFW is unaware of any such restrictions imposed by local or state law, and DFW Airport Rules and Regulations do not speak to non-commercial photography, am I correct to believe that aside from preventing interference with airport and TSA operations, there are no restrictions on photographing or video recording anything that can be seen from publicly-accessible areas of the airport?

One other question: How do DFW Airport Rules and Regulations define "commercial photography"? I hate to split hairs, but I'm concerned that others might. I'm a computer programmer, not a professional photographer, but I don't wear a badge proclaiming my profession. If I'm in an airport filming something of interest to me or other people, how will airport staff determine whether or not my actions are commercial in nature?

--
Phil Mocek
Quote:
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 13:28:00 -0500
Subject: FW: FW: Got Feedback : Dallas/Fort Worth International (DFW)

Mr. Mocek:

The term "commercial" is not defined. However, we would apply its customary meaning, to wit: undertaken for the purpose of making a profit. If one is taking pictures at the Airport for a purpose other than making a profit and is approached by someone wondering where his permit is, he should simply explain that he is not engaged in commercial photography and does not need a permit. I expect that this will be taken at face value. I am not aware of this ever having been an issue over the more than 20 years that I have been at DFW. If you have an issue while at DFW, you can always contact me at the numbers below, during or after hours.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Leslie Young
Legal Assistant
972.973.5489 Direct
972.973.5480 Legal Office
817.909.0906 Cell
Quote:
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 13:01:34 -0700
Cc: GotFeedback <Gotfeedback%AT%dhs.gov>, Chuck Sloan - TSA <chuck.sloan%AT%dhs.gov>

Thank you very much for this information. This is helpful.

My only further question is the one I asked previously, with the addition of the phrase "for non-commercial purposes":

Since TSA has announced that it does not restrict photography or video recording in airports (other than to prohibit it in cases where it interferes with TSA or airport operations and to discourage but not prohibit filming or photography of their x-ray equipment), and the TSA Customer Service Manager at DFW is unaware of any such restrictions imposed by local or state law, and DFW Airport Rules and Regulations do not speak to non-commercial photography, am I correct to believe that aside from preventing interference with airport and TSA operations, there are no restrictions on photographing or video recording for non-commercial purposes anything that can be seen from publicly-accessible areas of the airport?

--
Phil Mocek
(The following was added to this comment 2009-04-20.)

Quote:
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 09:11:19 -0700
Cc: GotFeedback <Gotfeedback%AT%dhs.gov>,
Chuck Sloan - TSA <chuck.sloan%AT%dhs.gov>

I have received no further contact from you, Ms. Young. Are you able to provide the information I have requested?

--
Phil Mocek
Quote:
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:44:13 -0500
Subject: FW: FW: Got Feedback : Dallas/Fort Worth International (DFW)

Mr. Mocek -

The term "commercial" is not defined. However, we would apply its customary meaning, to wit: undertaken for the purpose of making a profit.
Quote:
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 10:52:34 -0700
To: Leslie Young - DFW International Airport Board <LYoung%AT%dfwairport.com>,

Thanks, Ms. Young.

Mr. Sloan and Ms. Young: To clarify, it seems that both of you are in agreement that if I were to come to the airport and photograph and/or video record everything that I can see from the time that I enter the airport until my arrival at the gate from which my flight is to depart, including all activities performed at the TSA checkpoint, including images of any TSA computer monitors that are visible to me, assuming that I do not enter any "off-limits" areas, assuming that my activity does not interfere with airport or TSA operations, and assuming that my activity is not commercial in nature, there would be no legal reason for airport or TSA staff to stop me from doing so. Is this an accurate summary?

If that is the case, could you please recommend that course of action I should take if I do attempt to do so and someone from TSA or the airport mistakenly believes that I am not allowed to do so, and attempts to make me stop?

--
Phil Mocek
Quote:
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 13:01:48 -0500
To: Phil Mocek,

If you are taking pictures at the Airport for a purpose other than making a profit and are approached by someone wondering where your permit is, you should simply explain that you are not engaged in commercial photography and do not need a permit.
Quote:
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 11:06:37 -0700
To: Leslie Young - DFW International Airport Board <LYoung%AT%dfwairport.com>,

Thank you, Ms. Young, for your assistance. This is very helpful.

Mr. Sloan, do you agree with Ms. Young's statement?

--
Phil Mocek
Quote:
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 14:07:33 -0400

I concur. Can't "what if" every situation.

Chuck Sloan
Customer Service Manager
O. 469.948.1828
C. 817.233.0432
F. 972.745.4369
Quote:
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 11:26:03 -0700
To: Chuck Sloan - TSA <chuck.sloan%AT%dhs.gov>

Thank you very much for your assistance. This is helpful.

--
Phil Mocek
TSA re: airport photography policies: Washington-Dulles International (IAD) (and DCA)
This applies to both Washington-Dulles International (IAD) and Washington Raegan National (DCA).

Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:09:26 -0400
Subject: RE: Got Feedback : Washington-Dulles International (IAD)

Good Morning Philip,

For both Dulles International Airport and Ronald Reagan National Airport the Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority will be able to answer questions that pertain to any ordinance or regulation that governs these locations. Just visit their website at www.mwaa.com . There is a lot of helpful travel information there as well!

Kind Regards,
Susan

Susan Rohde
Stakeholder Manager
Dulles - IAD
0ffice 703 662-2330
Cell 202 329-8363
Fax 703 661-6777
email susan.rohde%AT%dhs.gov
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:35:18 -0700
Subject: Re: Got Feedback : Washington-Dulles International (IAD)
To: Susan Rohde - TSA <Susan.Rohde%AT%dhs.gov>

Thank you Ms. Rohde, for confirming that TSA does not prohibit photography of public areas of Dulles International Airport or Ronald Reagan National Airport, and that you are unaware of any laws, statutes, or ordinances that would do the same. There tends to be confusion over whether it is allowed, particularly at security checkpoints.

Could you please provide contact information for people at the two airports (e-mail, postal mail, or telephone, in that order of preference) to whom you suggest I pose my questions?

--
Phil Mocek
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 12:49:30 -0400

Hi Phil,

If you visit the website www.mwaa.com and click on the tab News and Publications at the top of the screen, you will fine contact information for both airports. In addition there is also a tab at the side of this page which will provide general information about photography and filming.

Kind Regards,
Susan

Susan Rohde
Stakeholder Manager
Dulles - IAD
0ffice 703 662-2330
Cell 202 329-8363
Fax 703 661-6777
email susan.rohde%AT%dhs.gov
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:14:48 -0700

Thank you for your continued assistance, Ms. Rohde.

I reviewed the airport contact Web page you referenced [1]. No specific people are listed there, and none of the categories seems to apply to this situation. Also, while general information would be helpful, I want to know specifically what, if any, photography is prohibited in publicly-accessible areas of your airports. I want to be sure that I am in compliance with any rules that I am required to follow, not to guess about them and risk causing trouble.

Yesterday, Bob Burns at TSA published information indicating that TSA does not prohibit photography of publicly-accessible areas of airports [2]. He also wrote, "while the TSA does not prohibit photographs at screening locations, local laws, state statutes, or local ordinances might. Your best bet is to call ahead and see what that specific airport's policy is. I suggest you use the Got Feedback program to directly contact the Customer Support Manager at the airport you're going to be traveling through. They will have an answer for you and if they don't, they can connect you with somebody who does."

I took his suggestion and contacted TSA via the TSA "Got Feedback?" form. You replied via e-mail. You did not refute Mr. Burns' claim, and you did not mention any applicable laws, statutes, or local ordinances. I understand that this is simply the best of your knowledge, not an authoritative answer to the question of whether any such laws, statutes, or ordinances apply the airports where you act as TSA's Stakeholder Manager.

Could you please provide contact information for people at the two airports (e-mail, postal mail, or telephone, in that order of preference) to whom you suggest I pose my questions, as your colleague Bob Burns wrote that you could?

References:

[1]: <http://www.mwaa.com/mwaa/about_the_authority/contact_us>
[2]: <http://www.tsa.gov/blog/2009/03/can-i-take-photos-at-checkpoint-and.html>

--
Phil Mocek
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 14:18:20 -0400

Hi Phil,

I apologize if you were not able to find the information on their website. Listed below are the names and contact numbers for the MWAA Public Affairs Office that will certainly be able to answer your questions as it pertains to airport policy.

Tara Hamilton
<http://mwaa.com/news_publications/ne...ara%20Hamilton
&toaddress=Tara.Hamilton> Public Affairs Manager
703-417-8370

Courtney Mickalonis
<http://mwaa.com/news_publications/ne...ourtney%20Mick
alonis&toaddress=Courtney.Mickalonis> Media Relations Manager
703-417-8897

Rob Yingling
<http://mwaa.com/news_publications/ne...ob%20Yingling&
toaddress=Rob.Yingling>
Media Relations Manager
703-417-8744
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 11:40:08 -0700

Thank you for your assistance. This is helpful.

--
Phil Mocek
TSA re: airport photography policies: Boston Logan International (BOS)
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:34:28 -0400
From: "Blanciforte, Marina" <Marina.Blanciforte%AT%dhs.gov>
Subject: RE: Got Feedback : Logan International Airport (BOS)

Hi Phillip:

"Bob" gave you correct information. However, the question you are asking is a legal one and I'm afraid we do not have the answer.

I can tell you that as a "tourist" there is no problem with taking pictures in the airport, except inside a security checkpoint. If you are interested in taking pictures or filming at the airport for commercial reasons, then you must contact the Port Authority, specifically their Public Affairs Office and go from there. Massport is the entity that can grant you permission.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Marina

Marina Blanciforte
Customer Support and Quality Improvement Manager
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 07:38:59 -0700
Subject: Re: Got Feedback : Logan International Airport (BOS)
To: Marina Blanciforte - TSA <Marina.Blanciforte%AT%dhs.gov>

Hi, Marina.

At this time, I'm concerned specifically with non-commercial photography and video recording.

Assuming that "checkpoint" and "screening location" are synonymous for the purpose of this discussion, Bob Burns at TSA specifically said that photography at a TSA checkpoint is allowed. You wrote that he gave correct information, then you provided conflicting information. Could you please reconcile the two statements?

--
Phil Mocek
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 11:08:25 -0400

Hi Phillip:

Outside of the security checkpoint is okay - inside can become a problem. A passenger may inadvertently take a photo of depictions on screening equipment and/or certain procedures.

Again, if your intent is to record a security checkpoint for whatever reason, other than being a tourist, I would recommend you inform Massport and TSA, first. I can almost guarantee that an attempt at video or photographing a security checkpoint at an airport will be a cause of concern by all present (including passengers), and a visit by Troopers, or other airport Law Enforcement almost inevitable.

If you'd like to pursue this matter further, you may want to contact TSA BOS's Public Affairs person, Ann Davis at 617-733-8437.

Marina Blanciforte

U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Logan International Airport
2 Service Road, Third Floor
Boston, MA 02128
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:47:34 -0700

Hi, Marina.

What did you mean by, "inside [a checkpoint] can become a problem"? The information Bob Burns at TSA published on the TSA blog yesterday states that TSA does not prohibit any such photography. You confirmed Bob's information as being accurate, then suggested otherwise. I'm afraid I don't understand.

My intent is to ensure that anyone who wishes to photograph or video record anything he can see inside an airport (so long as he does not go places the public are prohibited from going), and does so without causing interruption of airport operations (I'm not talking about setting up a tripod or anything like that) he will not be hassled by airport or TSA staff for doing so.

You wrote that you suspect that an attempt to photograph or video record at a TSA airport security checkpoint would be cause for concern by all present. Given that TSA allows this, and given that there are thousands of people seeing and remembering the same things that someone would be photographing or video recording, do you suppose this would be cause for any concern besides irrational ones?

You also suggested that this lawful activity would likely result in the arrival of State Troopers or airport law enforcement staff. Why would that happen, and if it did, how would you suggest that I or anyone else explain that what he is doing is lawful and is no cause for concern?

Could you please provide an e-mail address for TSA BOS's Public Affairs person, Ann Davis? Information tends to be lost when people try to talk on the telephone and take notes at the same time, and an e-mail would allow Ms. Davis to respond at her convenience.

Thanks, again, for your continued assistance.

--
Phil Mocek
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 12:17:36 -0400

With all due respect, Phillip, I can't see where I am saying anything different than what is posted on the blog (see below).

Ms. Davis' email is: Ann.Davis%AT%dhs.gov

Thanks, Marina
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:33:19 -0700

I mean no disrespect, either. In retrospect, I see less conflict between what Bob Burns at TSA published yesterday and what you have written today than I first thought I saw, but each of you seems to be providing inconsistent messages. I'll try to explain my question better.

Both you and Bob Burns stated that photography of publicly accessible areas of airports is not prohibited by TSA, but both of you have issued ominous warnings about likely negative repercussions of doing just that. TSA's airport checkpoints are publicly-accessible, so it would seem that people should be allowed to photograph anything they can see with their eyes there (given both your prior statement about lack of prohibition and the logical nature of allowing this, given that thousands of people also see and remember the same thing that would be photographed).

You wrote that you suspect that an attempt to photograph or video record at a TSA airport security checkpoint -- an activity that TSA does not prohibit -- would be "cause for concern by all present". Given that TSA allows such photography, and given that there are thousands of people seeing and remembering the same things that someone would be photographing or video recording, do you suppose this would be cause for any concern besides irrational ones? I have some empathy for those people with irrational concerns, but my empathy for those people ends where it hinders my ability to go about my business.

You also suggested that this lawful activity would likely result in the arrival of State Troopers or airport law enforcement staff. Why do you think that would that happen, and if it did, how do you suggest that I or anyone else explain that what I or he is doing is lawful and is no cause for concern?

Could you please provide an e-mail address for TSA BOS's Public Affairs person, Ann Davis? Information tends to be lost when people try to talk on the telephone and take notes at the same time, and an e-mail would allow Ms. Davis to respond at her convenience.

--
Phil Mocek
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:30:38 -0700

Sorry -- I didn't notice that you already provided Ms. Davis' e-mail address. Thank you for that.

To summarize, you suggested I contact:

Ann Davis
BOS Airport Public Affairs Person
617-733-8437
ann.davis%AT%dhs.gov

I look forward to your answers to my questions about your stated belief that an attempt to photograph or video record at a TSA airport checkpoint would be cause for concern by all present and also about your stated belief that this lawful activity would result in involvement of State Troopers or airport law enforcement staff.

--
Phil Mocek
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 14:06:14 -0400

Phillip: Just to clarify Ann Davis is a TSA employee and represents BOS. In regards to your questions below - it really doesn't matter what I think would or would not happen........ However, I have taken the liberty of forwarding our exchange back to HQ and have been informed that your questions will be addressed in more detail. Have a good day! Marina

Marina Blanciforte

U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Logan International Airport
2 Service Road, Third Floor
Boston, MA 02128

Office: 617 561-2002 Fax: 617 561-5758
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 11:31:39 -0700

Got it. Thanks for the contact information, and thanks for taking the time to discuss this with me. This has been helpful.

I would very much appreciate knowing to whom at HQ you forwarded our exchange and by whom you were informed that these questions will be addressed in more detail. If this is not feasible, there's no need to respond.

I would expect that how you, as TSA's your Customer Support and Quality Improvement Manager at Logan International, understand the rules that TSA and the airport require "customers" to follow, would be indicative of how other TSA and airport staff are likely to understand those rules. If you suspect law enforcement would be called at your airport were someone to lawfully photograph certain activities that are visible to the public in the airport, I'll trust your opinion as being an expert one and understand that it is likely that this would be the case. That is a disturbing revelation, and one that I and others will surely want to explore further. In the United States, we're supposed to be able to go about our business without interference from our government if it has no reason to think we've done anything wrong, and photography in public of things that thousands of people are looking at is no reason to suspect wrongdoing.

Thanks again, and have a good day.

--
Phil Mocek
TSA re: airport photography policies: Sacramento Metropolitan (SMF)
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:38:51 -0400
Subject: RE: Got Feedback : Sacramento Metropolitan (SMF)
To: GotFeedback <Gotfeedback%AT%dhs.gov>
Cc: Phil Mocek

Good morning,

I am James Smith, the Customer Support Manager for TSA in Sacramento. Whereas I do not believe there are any public ordinances against taking photos in public areas, however, do to general security concerns it would be wise to contact the public relations department at Sacramento International Airport at 916 874-0601. If you have questions concerning TSA please contact me at the number provided below.

Thank you,

J. Robert Smith, Jr.
Customer Service Manager-Stake Holder Liasion
Sacramento International Airport
ACV,CEC,RDD,CIC Airports
(916) 205-5935
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:03:22 -0700
Subject: Re: Got Feedback : Sacramento Metropolitan (SMF)
To: "James R. Smith - TSA" <James.R.Smith1%AT%dhs.gov>

Thank you, Mr. Smith, for confirming that TSA does not bar photography of public areas of Sacramento Metropolitan Airport. Their tends to be confusion over whether it is allowed, particularly at security checkpoints.

Can you provide an e-mail address (or alternatively, a postal mail address) for the public relations department at Sacramento International Airport? Information tends to get lost when people try to talk on the phone and take notes at the same time, and an e-mail or letter would allow the P.R. department to respond to my question at their convenience.

--
Phil Mocek
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 11:14:49 -0400
Subject: RE: Got Feedback : Sacramento Metropolitan (SMF)

The postal address is Sacramento County Airport System
6900 Airport Boulevard
Sacramento, CA. 95837
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:18:29 -0700
Subject: Re: Got Feedback : Sacramento Metropolitan (SMF)
To: "James R. Smith - TSA" <James.R.Smith1%AT%dhs.gov>

Thank you for your assistance.

--
Phil Mocek
TSA re: airport photography policies: Chicago O'Hare International (ORD)
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 16:48:19 -0400
Subject: RE: Got Feedback : Chicago-O'Hare Int'l Airport (ORD)
Cc: "Hornbach, Barbara" <Barbara.Hornbach%AT%dhs.gov>, "Winder, Owen" <Owen.Winder%AT%dhs.gov>, GotFeedback <Gotfeedback%AT%dhs.gov>

Dear Mr. Mocek:

There is no local ordinance that we are aware of that would prohibit photography at O'Hare.

With kind regards,
Barbara Hornbach

Barbara H. Hornbach
Customer Service Quality Improvement Manager
Chicago O'Hare International Airport
Tel: (773) 377-1217
Cell: (773) 343-1772
Email: barbara.hornbach%AT%dhs.gov
Quote:
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 16:03:26 -0700
Subject: Re: Got Feedback : Chicago-O'Hare Int'l Airport (ORD)
To: Barbara Hornbach - TSA <Barbara.Hornbach%AT%dhs.gov>
Cc: GotFeedback <Gotfeedback%AT%dhs.gov>, Owen Winder <Owen.Winder%AT%dhs.gov>

Thank you, Ms. Hornbach, for confirming that TSA at Chicago O'Hare is not aware of any TSA policies, local laws, state statutes, or local ordinances prohibiting photography or video recording of publicly-accessible areas of the airport. There tends to be confusion over whether this is allowed, particularly at security checkpoints.

--
Phil Mocek
Quote: Following are the e-mail exchanges I had today with each of six TSA respondents for whom I am not still awaiting replies.
Phil, this is really interesting - thanks for taking the time and effort. It's amazing the difference (well, not really, considering it's TSA) between airports, from "no problem" to "what???" to the not-so-thinly-veiled threat of State Troopers at BOS.

However, have you considered that April 1 might not be the best time for such questions (or answers)?
Yes you may.
Awesome job, Phil. Thanks!
It amazes me that the moderators here would allow Phil to post personal contact information for our Customer Support Managers. I had to delete one instance on the TSA Blog where Phil included one of the manager's addresses. Not cool.

These folks have taken the time to help Phil only to have their e-mail addresses and phone numbers posted for public view. I'm sure they'll appreciate being spammed and pranked.

Bob
Quote: ...These folks have taken the time to help Phil only to have their e-mail addresses and phone numbers posted for public view...
Ummm, doesn't performing a "Customer Service" job description sort of require being accessible to the, uhhh, public?
Quote: It amazes me that the moderators here would allow Phil to post personal contact information for our Customer Support Managers. I had to delete one instance on the TSA Blog where Phil included one of the manager's addresses. Not cool.

These folks have taken the time to help Phil only to have their e-mail addresses and phone numbers posted for public view. I'm sure they'll appreciate being spammed and pranked.

Bob
Sorry, pal, as a government employee, you (or any of the TSA respondents above) have no expectation of privacy. Read the IT security windows on your DHS computer the next time you log in. Deal with it.
Excellent job, Phil!