Delta In-flight meal/food service: The definitive thread — Archive

Subscribe
I experienced the RB "Sandwich" for the first time yesterday. It was one of the most disgustings things I've ever had. How can they serve something like this?

I enjoyed my cheerios on the earlier flight much more.
Had the RB sandwich inflicted on me ROUNDTRIP between MSP and DCA last week, lunch one way, dinner the other. (Both times the salad option was gone by the time the FA got to me--in 2A).

I have to say this thing was disgusting. One or two paper-thin slices of processed roast beef meat inside a huge foccacia, topped with--I'm guessing--a couple slimy pieces of red pepper. There may or may not have been cooked onions on it also; I'm not sure. This sandwich was mostly bread, tasteless, and extemely dry. I could not detect any mayo, mustard, aioli, or anything resembling a sauce on any surface. Nor was there a packet of anything like that provieded on the tray. (Trust me, some horseradish mayo would have helped considerably). This gourmet meal was rounded out by a bag of Ruffles, a bowl of fruit (pineapple, strawberry and grapes) and a packaged browine, carmel one way, peanut butter the other.

The fruit was good.

I usually fly AA, and for certain their catering is vastly, vastly superior to what DL is offering. A sandwich option is certainly appropriate for lunch (although it should be edible), but as a dinner choice it is unacceptable. There is no reason that DL cannot offer a hot meal on a dinner flight of 2.5 hours. AA's offering on a comparable route would have included warm nuts with a drink, a choice of two hot dinner options, and a freshly baked cookie.

Come on, DL; you can do better!
Quote: Had the RB sandwich inflicted on me ROUNDTRIP between MSP and DCA last week, lunch one way, dinner the other. (Both times the salad option was gone by the time the FA got to me--in 2A).

I have to say this thing was disgusting. One or two paper-thin slices of processed roast beef meat inside a huge foccacia, topped with--I'm guessing--a couple slimy pieces of red pepper. There may or may not have been cooked onions on it also; I'm not sure. This sandwich was mostly bread, tasteless, and extemely dry. I could not detect any mayo, mustard, aioli, or anything resembling a sauce on any surface. Nor was there a packet of anything like that provieded on the tray. (Trust me, some horseradish mayo would have helped considerably). This gourmet meal was rounded out by a bag of Ruffles, a bowl of fruit (pineapple, strawberry and grapes) and a packaged browine, carmel one way, peanut butter the other.

The fruit was good.

I usually fly AA, and for certain their catering is vastly, vastly superior to what DL is offering. A sandwich option is certainly appropriate for lunch (although it should be edible), but as a dinner choice it is unacceptable. There is no reason that DL cannot offer a hot meal on a dinner flight of 2.5 hours. AA's offering on a comparable route would have included warm nuts with a drink, a choice of two hot dinner options, and a freshly baked cookie.

Agreed....AA catering FAR superior to DL. However, AA gets only top tier FF's or payment (in some form) for the F cabin. Until DL stops giving it away, it is "upgrade class" with upgrade class food offerings.
Quote: Had the RB sandwich inflicted on me ROUNDTRIP between MSP and DCA last week, lunch one way, dinner the other.
The fruit was good.
That RB is one of the most vile things I have ever tasted. Lest anyone think we are exaggerating...

Thanks, SFO777; that sandwich still comes to me in nightmares and now you post pictures.....

Seriously, it looks like even your bowl of fruit was less than stellar...At least my bowl(s) of fruit were good. I figure the acid in the pineapple helped kill whatever may have been lurking on the sandwich....
JFK-FCO BE, non-meat options
Any clue to meals being offered on DL 246 JFK-FCO (BE), specifically non-meat options? I'm a lacto/ovo veg and I'm so sick of the absolutely disgusting "special meals". Don't travel much TATL, but it seems the few times I have traveled internationally, there have been non-meat options on the regular menu. Thanks for any help!
Quote: Thanks, SFO777; that sandwich still comes to me in nightmares and now you post pictures.....
Sorry, my bad.
Best DL breakfast of the year!
SFO-DTW
DL 827
7:00A-2:30P
757-200
BOB Breakfast
June 6, 2011
Monday AM, a glut of DM/PMs, not even close to getting an UG

What a terrible indictment of the pathetic state of DL's breakfast offerings that my best breakfast of the year was a BOB coach meal. The Breakfast BLT Wrap was delicious and included Boar's Head bacon, egg salad, cream cheese, tomato and lettuce in a spinach wrap. Other than getting whacked a few times during boarding, the coach experience was tolerable as exit row 27C offered more legroom than DL First.

Delta BizElite Long Haul USA to UK/Ireland May 2011
Pictures from DL 260 MIA-LHR - Majorie the purser was so wonderful and she tried to plate my meals nicer!

Delta Air Lines
Business Elite
May 2011

Wine List
Whites
Domaine Vincent Giradin Pouilly-Fuisse Vieilles Vignes, Burgundy, France 2008/2009
Chakana Yaguarete Collection Torrontes, Salta, Argentina, 2010

Reds
Robert Mondavi Carneros Pinot Noir, Napa Valley, California 2008/2009
Chakana Estate Malbec, Mendoza, Argentina 2008/2009

Dessert Wines
Calem 10 Years Old Tawny Porto, Portugal, NV
Chateau Du Cros, Loupiac, Bordeaux, France, 2007

Champagne
Champagne Jacquart Brut Mosaique, Reims, France N.V

Long Haul USA (Atlanta/Miami) to United Kingdom/Ireland and New York JFK to Manchester

Dinner
First Course

Appetizer
Seared five spice tuna and Asian noodle salad

Tomato and Basil Soup

Second Course
Mixed Green Salad
With dried cranberries, cucumbers, tomatoes and pine nuts
Choice of Ranch dressing or Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing

Main Course
Delta Chef, Michelle Bernstein’s Selection
Cheese Ravioli with eggplant and artichoke caponata

Grilled Fillet of Beef
With béarnaise sauce, redskin mashed potatoes and haricots verts

Garlic and Herb Shrimp
With lemon butter, asparagus and paella rice

Chilled Deli Plate
Roasted beef and herbed chicken
With a deviled egg, grilled peppers and artichokes

Dessert
Selection of Fine Cheese
Offered with fresh fruit

Vanilla Ice Cream Sundae
With your choice of sauces, whipped cream and chopped nuts

Caramel Tiramisu

Pre-Arrival Meal
Served with assorted breakfast breads and condiments.

Seasonal Fresh Fruit

Please choose one of the below options
Vanilla French toast
With syrup, scrambled eggs and chicken apple sausages

Granola Cereal
With milk and yogurt

05/11 BE-US-EUR-C17B (ATL-MAN/DUB/LGW; MIA-LHR; JFK-MAN)

Typical Delta Airlines transatlantic fare - dinner is nice and breakfast is okay! But Delta - it is time to introduce some new dishes and this is the third year that I have seen the same boring Michelle Bernstein's entrees! Either give Chef Bernstein more money to come up with more dishes or find a new chef! But meals are pretty elaborate which puts Delta ahead of American, US Airways and United business class product, and somewhat competitive with Continental.

Please note that Shorter east coast to UK/Ireland flights feature a more streamlined dinner service. Salad course is not served separately. The first course is all served together - starter, soup, salad and bread. It is meant to allow more rest time.
DL Biz All UK/Ireland to USA flights May 2011
All UK/Ireland to USA
May 2011
(Pictures from DL 261 LHR to MIA)

Lunch
First Course

Appetizer
Chili lime shrimp and seared scallop with southwest vegetable salad

Roasted Yellow Pepper Soup

Second Course
Mixed Green salad with cucumbers, tomatoes and almonds with choice of blue cheese or extra olive oil & balsamic vinaigrette dressing

Main Course
Please choose from one of the below options:
Delta Chef, Michelle Bernstein’s Selection
Roasted Chicken Breast with olives and tomatoes, sweet couscous and sugar snap peas

Tender Filet of Beef
With horseradish sauce, lyonnaise potatoes and spinach

Spiral Pasta
With roasted vegetables, tomato sauce and ricotta cheese

Chilled Deli Plate
Roasted Beef and smoked salmon
With a deviled egg, grilled zucchini, yellow squash and capers

Dessert
Selection of Fine Cheeses
Offered with fresh fruit

Vanilla ice cream sundae
With your choice of sauces, whipped cream and chopped nuts

Chocolate Cake

Mid-flight Snack
Similar to typical Sky Snack Basket as in domestic flights, but of course a more UK dedicated selection and I love the MARS bars. Apples and bananas are available too. I got a banana (not shown in picture) too!

Pre-Arrival Meal

Please choose one of the following options
Roasted Chicken Breast Sandwich
With pesto sauce, provolone cheese and tomato and cucumber salad

Cold Salad Plate
With smoked salmon and potato cucumber salad, served with breadsticks and fresh fruit

Chocolate
05/11 BE-EUR-US-C17B (LHR-JFK/ATL/MSP/DTW/BOS/MIA); DUB/SNN-JFK; DUB-ATL)

Typical Delta’s daytime transatlantic meal and there is one cut – mid-flight freshly baked cookie service! Other than that minor cut, meals are good and there are some interesting starters. The Yellow Pepper soup actually came out quite nicely. I had the beef entrée, which was nice. The pre-arrival chicken sandwich is also nice. A Lily O’Brien Chocolate accompanied the pre-arrival meal. The Miami based crew was very good, and a bit more enthusiastic compared to other bases.
I'm on 1243, MSP-FAI next week. Delta's website says that flight is long enough to qualify for entrees from Michelle Bernstein. Does that mean we'll be getting a selection of BE choices?
Most pathetic DL flight of the year
DTW-SFO
DL 1097
8:26P-10:45P (sked)
9:10P-11:10P (actual including go around)
737-800
SC Dragon: Sandwich not just the Snack Basket
DL Catering: Go F*** Yourself
June 8, 2011

I generally do like DL, but sometime this airline just plain sucks. After a long 2+ days on the road, I just want to get home. Tonight was the absolute worst crew (announced as SFO-based) of the year, clearly just mailing it in, with the two female FAs wanting to be anywhere but on this plane.

No PDB, and for nearly 90 minutes, no post-departure-beverage service either... a total of 76 minutes from wheels up to "OK I'll get up and think about drink service"
9:16p Wheels up
10:32p Up from jump seat
10:45p Drink orders get to row 4

My G&T is served with lemon. Do you have any limes? Umm, let me check the other fridge. One pass of the Snack Basket for the entire flight. And to clean up the snack basket wrappings, FA walks thru the F cabin with a plastic garbage bag.

Meal service? Surely you jest. Fortunately, I now prep for a DL First Class snack/lunch flights by bringing my own meal on board, lest I get stuck with the inedible RB sandwich, the gross chicken salad or any other disgusting idea that DL catering tries to foist off as a meal. Tonight, the joke is on you DL as the corned beef sandwich from Gate A1-8 Waterworks was very good.

As always a great post from you, SFO777. I flew that late DTW-SFO flight back in January and it was a miserable flight. I was in coach on the 320 and there was one drink service and then the FAs were not seen again. It seems to bad service in any cabin
Quote: As always a great post from you, SFO777. I flew that late DTW-SFO flight back in January and it was a miserable flight. I was in coach on the 320 and there was one drink service and then the FAs were not seen again. It seems to bad service in any cabin
And to add insult to injury, I bought at the last minute and paid $730 for my P ticket (vs. $670 for the lowest Y fare). But it was nonstop and I couldn't get to DTW in time for the last AA connection. So DL had me where they wanted me last night. Once again I have the last laugh though, as DL will never ever get any of my TATL/TPAC business. Guaranteed.
Quote: DTW-SFO
DL 1097
8:26P-10:45P (sked)
9:10P-11:10P (actual including go around)
737-800
SC Dragon: Sandwich not just the Snack Basket
DL Catering: Go F*** Yourself
June 8, 2011

I generally do like DL, but sometime this airline just plain sucks. After a long 2+ days on the road, I just want to get home. Tonight was the absolute worst crew (announced as SFO-based) of the year, clearly just mailing it in, with the two female FAs wanting to be anywhere but on this plane.

No PDB, and for nearly 90 minutes, no post-departure-beverage service either... a total of 76 minutes from wheels up to "OK I'll get up and think about drink service"
9:16p Wheels up
10:32p Up from jump seat
10:45p Drink orders get to row 4

My G&T is served with lemon. Do you have any limes? Umm, let me check the other fridge. One pass of the Snack Basket for the entire flight. And to clean up the snack basket wrappings, FA walks thru the F cabin with a plastic garbage bag.

Meal service? Surely you jest. Fortunately, I now prep for a DL First Class snack/lunch flights by bringing my own meal on board, lest I get stuck with the inedible RB sandwich, the gross chicken salad or any other disgusting idea that DL catering tries to foist off as a meal. Tonight, the joke is on you DL as the corned beef sandwich from Gate A1-8 Waterworks was very good.
Again, SFO777, your posts are great! Like I've said before, I really like your "Mini-trip reports"!

Definitely report the FAs though. I've flown with SFO-based crew before and found the ones I flew with to be simply amazing. Sue, who's been the OBL on several of my ATL-SFO flights is an absolute angel. It's sad that you got stuck with some crappy ones .

But the service seems like my last AA flight (except we were served a nice meal) .

DL757ATL