Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

American Airlines sued over lifetime first class flying pass (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore

From the Chicago Tribune- Associated Press
3:06 AM CDT, March 11, 2009

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,5560484.story

CHICAGO - A man who paid about $400,000 to fly first-class anywhere in the world with a companion for the rest of his life is suing American Airlines for revoking that right.

Steven Rothstein, who lived in Wilmette at the time, paid nearly $250,000 in 1987 for the lifetime pass, and an additional $150,000 two years later to take a companion along with him during his flights.

Rothstein on Tuesday filed a $7 million lawsuit in Cook County Circuit Court, claiming the airline illegally revoked the passes in December after alleging he fraudulently used the flight passes by making "speculative reservations" for companions

American Airlines no longer sells lifetime pass, and Rothstein claims the alternative cost of purchasing first-class tickets for the rest of his life would cost $7 million.

------------------------------------------------

--- I wonder how many of these are still around...
Old Mar 11, 2009, 7:10 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
If he was using them fradulently, then he deserves to lose them. I'm sure it was in the T&C.

That being said, I'm sure AA will do anything and everything to keep these from being used.

Let me add: I sincerely doubt his life will be rendered with hardship now that he is facing no longer being able to fly first class. My heart bleeds.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 7:46 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

American Airlines sued over flying pass

duplicate entry

Last edited by MileageAddict; Mar 12, 2009 at 12:04 pm
Old Mar 11, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL

I never knew airlines did such a thing before! I wish I could do that now with a full-service carrier! If I'm in a bad mood and want to escape for the weekend, I could take a red-eye outbound to Europe and return the same day, watch some movies, and get wined and dined.

- Pat
Old Mar 11, 2009, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓
What does "red-eye" mean?

I never knew AA offered this either, but I'm guessing it is long over.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 8:05 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by GITU
What does "red-eye" mean?

I never knew AA offered this either, but I'm guessing it is long over.
A Red Eye is an overnight flight. Typically flying east into later time zones. A flight from LAX-JFK has approx 6 hour flight time PLUS 3 hour time difference=nine hours on your watch. In this example, a flight leaving LAX at 11pm arrives at JFK 8am. Seems convenient, however, they are called Red Eyes because thats what your eyes look like after such a flight.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 8:12 am

I wonder what the details of lifetime passes were - how many flights can you take in a year, etc.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Good for him.

Sounds like AA looked for a way out, but I would like to get more details on what he actually did wrong

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓
Thank you!

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
A man who paid about $400,000 to fly first-class anywhere in the world with a companion for the rest of his life is suing American Airlines for revoking that right.

Steven Rothstein, who lived in Wilmette at the time, paid nearly $250,000 in 1987 for the lifetime pass, and an additional $150,000 two years later to take a companion along with him during his flights.

Rest of the article can be found here:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,5560484.story
It sounds like American is claiming he was trying to profit off the companion tickets. I wonder if he was selling them on ebay?
Old Mar 11, 2009, 8:18 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Like Deltahater said, there must be more to the story. I'm sure AA had him sign something when he purchased it giving them some conditions. IIRC, AA last sold these through Neiman Marcus in 2004
Old Mar 11, 2009, 8:24 am

20 years of unlimited first class for $400k is a hell of a deal

I'm sure AA has been looking for a way to get rid of this guy for a long long time
Old Mar 11, 2009, 8:30 am

Isn't that the name of the guy who was featured on the CNBC special in '06? He was the man who had nearly 31 million miles.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 8:33 am

Programs: *A
Would one have to pay taxes/fuel surcharges on these flights?
Old Mar 11, 2009, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Definitely got to be more to the story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.