Why can't I check in online on Delta.com?

Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Why can't I check in online on Delta.com?

I have an early morning flight and just tried to check in on line and print my boarding pass, but I am unable to do so. I tried doing so from the link in the email Delta sent reminding me to check in. And I tried to do it by going to the Delta Home page and typing in my name and confirmation number.

The web site says I am not checked in and I am ineligible to do so. When I click on "Why can't I check in?", it gives this message.....

"
  • Here are some reasons why you may not be able to check in online:
    • You can only be checked in for one trip at a time. If you are flying Delta more than once within a 24 hour period, you will be able to check in once your previous trip is complete.
    • If you are traveling with a seat request card or don’t currently have a seat assignment, we’ll wait to issue a boarding pass at the gate. Our gate agents will be able to assist you once your seat is assigned.
    • We noticed from your passport information that you may be required to present additional international travel documents before check-in. Our agents at the airport ticket counter can help.
    • Your flight is operated by one of Delta’s connection partners and is not a Delta-oper
    ated flight. Please see an agent at the airport ticket counters for assistance.
"

My ticket is a 006 Delta ticket and the flights are Delta and CHAUTAUQUA metal CMH-CVG-MKE. I am not traveling more than once in a 24 hour period. I have seat assignments.

Since my flight is very early in the morning, I was hoping to save some time at the airport and wanted to go directly to the gate since I am not checking bags. Why can't I check in online?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
My guess would be SSSS.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:29 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
If you're upgraded you won't be able to check in online. They still have not fixed this.

Last edited by robbert; Feb 10, 2009 at 7:50 pm
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
My guess would be SSSS.
If so, I wonder why I would get the dreaded SSSS. Could this have something to do with the fact that I am a NW PE (PM) that got upgraded to first class? I seem to remember something about that in some posts but nothing came up when I did a search.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robbert
If you're upgraded you won't be able to check in online. They still have not fixed this.
Yes, that's it. BUMMER! In that case, an upgrade is bitter sweet. In fact, I'm upgraded on the flight from CMH-CVG and who cares about an upgrade on that short of a flight.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, GE
" * Your flight is operated by one of Delta’s connection partners and is not a Delta-operated flight. "

You said one flight is operated by Chatauqua ? Maybe thats why ?
I am always able to check in online even when i was upgraded.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gplates
"You said one flight is operated by Chatauqua ? Maybe thats why ?
I am always able to check in online even when i was upgraded.
This only applies to NW elites who are upgraded on DL flights using their NW number.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
The reason is because as a NW Plat scum you have taken away an upgrade from a DL Medallion member and for this you must be punished!

Punishment consists of having to spend valuable time trying to OLCI, then try using the airport kiosk, then when that fails having to get in line to see an agent. Once you see an agent they will insist that you are a total moron, and that YES, you can use the kiosk. They will then walk you over to the kiosk and try every conceivable way of pulling up your ticket (CC, Flight #, Confirmation #). After the mandatory 5 minutes of fooling with the machine they will walk back behind the counter and try to pull up your itinerary.

After a few minutes of looking perplexed they will print your BP, hand it to you, and swear that they have never seen this before.

Rumour has it DL IT dept. has a fix for this, but DL Management has forbid them from implementing it a while longer. This way they have more time to get all the NW Elite trash in line.

Old Feb 11, 2009, 4:01 pm

I often get this error message and have no idea why. However, I can usually correct it by going to "Change Seat" link, leave in the same seat I orginally had selected, clicking save seat and continue. Then, when I get back to the checkin in page I have magically been given the ability to check in online. I can't explain it but it works everytime.

Hope this helps (and isn't too confusing)
Old Feb 11, 2009, 5:04 pm

This has happened to me twice in the past couple months.

Most recently, it was on SAN-BUF connecting in CVG. The flight out of SAN was a Delta 757. We did not get SSSS.

At the airport, I could not access the PNR via the kiosk. The agent who looked at me like I was a gross incompetent because I couldn't use the kiosk did not have any better luck even though he tried three times. We both got the same message that the PNR did not exist.

Minus the smirk, the agent went to the computer at the podium and found the reservation. Still had the same seats.

At this point, I'm settling for it being just another Delta IT screw-up. Next time it shows up, I'll try the change seat routine.

Art
Old Feb 18, 2009, 3:47 pm

Programs: HHonors Dia, IHG Plat, Wyndham Dia, Southwest Companion Pass, Raddison Gold, Frontier 100K
I had the same result the last 2 days. I was upgraded and could not do OLCI or find my itinerary. When I tried to change seats during check in instead of the seat map it displayed error. When I saved and continued, it looked like I would be able to check in, but when I tried it then again told me it was unavailable.

I also tried to change itinerary after I was upgraded, and it was not available for on-line change.

The gate agents at IND acted like they knew about it and checked me in no problem. The agent at AUS looked at me like I was a moron, made me scan my credit card again, and also printed out the itinerary and tried to scan it at the kiosk. At least when the person traveling with me (on different itin) he did not make her go through the kiosk.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 6:34 pm

just responded in the other thread. i'll see if i can find out what's going on. its got to be something in the pnr.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:54 pm

I had similar problems in December. There were several schedule changes and even though I purchased the ticket in June, I became un-ticketed. It screwed up my upgrade priority on the first flight. In 2008 I had far too many DL computer problems. They need to work on the problems with their computer systems.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 7:18 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
Checkin at CMH is so fast that it probably won't matter much. You might have the SSSS or it may be that you got on the no fly list. (EEEEK)
Old Feb 19, 2009, 8:24 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion
I'm having the same problem with 2 separate itineraries. I'm traveling from TPA to LAX, and a family member is traveling from ATL to LAX.

I was upgraded at the 5 day window (no NW Worldperks # involved), and she is on an Award Ticket in first class.

Neither of us have been able to check in online since yesterday! I even tried the "change seats" at checkin trick, and it made the "Check in" button activate, but then I got an error saying that I wasn't able to check in online, and to see an agent at the airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.