Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change to Minimum EQP/EQM on BA (Jan 2009)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 6MM
Change to Minimum EQPs on BA?

I flew LHR-GVA on BA on an M fare last week and received 125 EQMs (117 base miles plus 8 bonus) and 125 EQPs. In the past there was a minimum of 500 EQPs for elites which was a useful unpublished benefit. Should I presume that BA/AA have now picked his up and are applying the minimum as per the rules? Apologies if this has been covered before but I struggled to find a recent thread on the subject in a search.

Last edited by dstan; Sep 6, 2009 at 2:12 pm Reason: updated thread title and restored OP title
Old Jan 28, 2009, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Check the AAdvantage earning page for BA. They had posted a prominent notice, minimum mileage accrual changes.

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...ishAirways.jsp
Old Jan 28, 2009, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Check the AAdvantage earning page for BA. They had posted a prominent notice, minimum mileage accrual changes.
I'm not disputing that 125 EQPs is correct but simply pointing out that the unpublished 500 EQP minimum for AA elites is no longer being given.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...ishAirways.jsp
That says:
As of January 16, 2009, the minimum mileage guarantee will be discontinued for non-elite status members
So the minimum RDM on discounted fares will be 25% of BIS miles for for non-elites, and remain 25% of 500 miles for elites.

Previously the minimum EQM was 500, even for discounted fares. Unfortunately it now seems that minimum EQM for elites is 125 miles.

Hardly worth flying BA short-haul!
Old Jan 28, 2009, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by becket5
In the past there was a minimum of 500 EQPs for elites which was a useful unpublished benefit. Should I presume that BA/AA have now picked his up and are applying the minimum as per the rules?
I'm ... simply pointing out that the unpublished 500 EQP minimum for AA elites is no longer being given.
As of 1/16/2009, that's the case for any flight, not just BA flights.

"In addition, the miles and points accrued toward elite status qualification will also be based on the actual miles earned regardless of the length of the flight. Members will no longer receive a minimum of 500 points for each eligible flight."(emphasis added)

Upcoming Policy Change On Shorter Flights
Old Jan 28, 2009, 9:09 am
Original Poster

All clear now. Rather unfortuante for me as I fly BA shorthaul quite often and make EXP through points rather than miles.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 9:52 am

All clear now. Rather unfortuante for me as I fly BA shorthaul quite often and make EXP through points rather than miles.
Ouch. That is indeed unfortunate for one in your position. My sympathies.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma

"In addition, the miles and points accrued toward elite status qualification will also be based on the actual miles earned regardless of the length of the flight. Members will no longer receive a minimum of 500 points for each eligible flight."(emphasis added)

Just to clarify, that change applies to NON-elite members only.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:02 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Deltahater
That is only for EQMs. It seems that the EQP change applies to all, including elites. Plenty of evidence (here and in private communication) among elites, up to EXP, showing 250 EQP in 0.5 EQP/EQM fare cases.

Cheers.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Deltahater
Unfortunately, w/r/t EQP it applies to all members, elite and non-elite alike.

As brp noted, since elites still earn a minimum 500 EQM, for all AA numbered flights the minimum EQP for elites becomes 250. (But the original quetion concerned BA flights.)

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Jan 28, 2009 at 10:47 am
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:57 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I flew LHR-GVA on BA on an M fare last week and received 125 EQMs (117 base miles plus 8 bonus) and 125 EQPs. In the past there was a minimum of 500 EQPs for elites which was a useful unpublished benefit. Should I presume that BA/AA have now picked his up and are applying the minimum as per the rules? Apologies if this has been covered before but I struggled to find a recent thread on the subject in a search.
I think you're the first to report direct experience here. Too bad they 'fixed' this undocumented benefit glitch. Thanks for posting, I'll update the wiki.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:59 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC

To clarify, becket5 is referring to an undocumented benefit, in which short, discount economy BA flights would only earn 125 min RDM (as published), but would still earn 500 min EQM and EQP.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by dstan
To clarify, becket5 is referring to an undocumented benefit, in which short, discount economy BA flights would only earn 125 min RDM (as published), but would still earn 500 min EQM and EQP.
Yes, I understand, but IMO the disappearence of that benefit is directly linked to the recent changes. I would have been greatly surprised had short BA flights continued to earn 500 minimum EQP when short AA(-numbered) flights no longer do.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Yes, I understand, but IMO the disappearence of that benefit is directly linked to the recent changes. I would have been greatly surprised had short BA flights continued to earn 500 minimum EQP when short AA(-numbered) flights no longer do.
BA could have continued to mirror AA with a 500 EQP minimum for elites, but no such luck.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nbevan
BA could have continued to mirror AA with a 500 EQP minimum for elites, but no such luck.
But, as has been pointed out above, AA no longer has a 500 EQP minimum for elites. EQP is now EQM times the EQP/EQM ratio for the booking class you are in, so flights less than 500 miles earn 750, 500, or 250 EQP depending on booking class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.