Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

The Economy - Extend Everyone's Status through 2009?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Economy - Extend Everyone's Status through 2009?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2008, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, AA Plat
Thumbs up The Economy - Extend Everyone's Status through 2009?

Interesting idea - received the following email from the CEO of Lowes Hotels today thanking me for my business for this year, and as a "gift," he is extending my frequent stay status through the end of 2009 (no need to re-qualify for next year). What a wonderful idea - has anyone heard Starwood offering such a program in the past? Would be a great time for them to offer this. I know that my travel will be greatly curtailed next year, and making Platinum is going to be a challenge (I perfer Starwood over Loews anytime!).

Subject: Our Gift To You

FIRST AND FOREMOST, LET ME TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY to sincerely thank you for your loyalty to Loews Hotels, especially during these challenging economic times. While we are always mindful of our commitment to provide you with the best experience possible, we understand that in today’s climate, it is more important than ever before.

Therefore, to say thank you to you, our most loyal guests, we will be extending your current YouFirst status through December 31, 2009, with the hope that the coming year allows us all to rest a little easier and travel a lot more.

We truly believe that “Value is the New Luxury,” so much so that we’ve made it the cornerstone of our brand messaging for 2009. It also represents our pledge to continue to provide you with the brand of hospitality you have come to value from Loews Hotels, whatever the future brings.

On behalf of all of us, we wish you peace, health, happiness and the time and space to enjoy it. We look forward to welcoming you back for many years to come.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Tisch
Chairman & CEO
Old Dec 18, 2008, 2:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
If this is a poll...I vote no. Main reason: competition for upgrades already too great and Starwood has already adjusted for the economy by extending so many double stay promotions.

Adjusted to add: Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by rucn2020
I prefer Starwood over Loews anytime!
You have answered your own question.
Most people here stay at Starwood hotels because they prefer
to.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
No need to extend Elite status...

just lower some of your hotel categories
Old Dec 18, 2008, 3:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
No. Starwood is much more prestigious. It will just make platinum even better! Less people.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
just lower some of your hotel categories
Once again, bliss is right!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 5:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by Score8
If this is a poll...I vote no. Main reason: competition for upgrades already too great and Starwood has already adjusted for the economy by extending so many double stay promotions.
The economy gets worse by the day, so it's a race to the bottom right now to keep/get business. My wife got a 0% finance on her car while other carmakers were 6%, 7%, 8%. They didn't make a sale because they were not working hard enough.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
The economy gets worse by the day, so it's a race to the bottom right now to keep/get business. My wife got a 0% finance on her car while other carmakers were 6%, 7%, 8%. They didn't make a sale because they were not working hard enough.
Hard to say if you really got a good deal with 0% ?
What would have been the price of all competitors if you had paid in cash with a negotiated discount ?

It is like asking how long a piece of string is ?

But back to the topic: I vote NO for extension of status just because the economy is bad.
Hotel prices will fall overall so that is the appropriate weapon to compete.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Hard to say if you really got a good deal with 0% ?
What would have been the price of all competitors if you had paid in cash with a negotiated discount ?

It is like asking how long a piece of string is ?

But back to the topic: I vote NO for extension of status just because the economy is bad.
Agreed!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 5:48 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Interesting thread.. wasnt something like this done after 9/11?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 5:51 pm
cxn

If *wood really wants to keep us happy they would, as others have pointed out, lower room rates, upgrade plat amenities (breakfast) and lower redemption rates.

Maybe the prices at hotels will fall back so once again we can use 5,000 points a night at the St. Regis NY .
Old Dec 18, 2008, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Rambuster
I agree and upsetting the people who are still staying is the last thing you would want to do. I am waiting for everyone to finally add some benefits to the elite levels that are useful.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, DL 0.8MM
Vehemently Opposed!!

With all due respect, this is a horrible idea.

I don't care how bad things get - I won't be calling all of my best clients from the last year and saying:

"I understand the economy is tough - I tell you guys what, don't worry about paying me for anything in 2009!! I'll just bust A** for you this year and maybe in the future, things will turn around and you'll pay me for my efforts?? ...I gotta eat guys... Seriously..."

Starwood giving status without stays??? William - if you're reading this - please lurk elsewhere!!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 8:58 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Thumbs up

No worries....everyone (USA only) is plat after January 20.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
What is it about America and the psychology of the recession? Is it because of all the gloom and doom media reports? In my world travels away from America, I still see pretty well occupied hotels and restaurants. But when I recently visited LA I was shocked at how so many people are afraid to spend or be seen spending. Mind you Beverly Hills was still busy.

I hope that Starwood marketing looks at the real global numbers and thinks before they do something ridiculous like give away free status or dilute in any way this great program. If anything, I would prefer they make it harder to reach Platinum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.