Search

The dish on nyc restaurants!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2008, 8:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Lightbulb The Dish on NYC Restaurants!

JDIVER -

I thought I would start a separate thread on NYC restaurants since other locations now have their own threads and our forum is not overrun with many such separate posts. Moreover, a thread devoted entirely to NYC area restaurants would be valuable in serving as a clearinghouse for good restaurants in this area, both for those who live here and for those who visit.

Without further adieu:

Sad to say but Whym on the Upper West Side has the annotation that it will again be leaving the dining programs. I have a dine scheduled for this coming Saturday so I will talk to the manager and try to persuade him not to leave the program. Others may wish to do the same and/or stop by and buy a gift card from them as they do have such items. Caveat, I have no idea of their financial health, but it was packed last Saturday night when I dined there, as well.

On the positive side, the Fireman Restaurant Group is to join the dining programs soon. They have such eateries as the Redeye Grill, the Brooklyn Diner, Trattoria Dell'Arte, and Cafe Fiorello's (this last one across from Lincoln Center, so somewhat making up for Whym's impending loss). The website does not yet indicate when they come on board or the days of the week that they will be participating.

I hope you will all post to this thread what good/bad experiences you have had at NYC restaurants.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Dec 8, 2008 at 9:18 am
Old Dec 8, 2008, 2:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Trattoria Dopo Teatro- Decent.. held a big group dinner and they have a nice basement wine cellar and small intimate party rooms.. decent prices/ food

Brazil Grill- Somewhere different in a sea of similar Idine italian restaurants. Good seafood but spotty service (and dingy bathrooms)

Swizz- Decent traditional Swiss fondue..once again, something different. Wasn't crazy about the fondue, but others enjoyed it.

Baluchi's- Decent Indian. VERY cheap lunch specials.

Fashion Forty- Nice lounge for after work drinks.. not very touristy, which is rare in Times Sq area

Roxy Delicatessen- Only been for breakfast... expensive and unique menu. A little too greasy for my liking, but out of town guests seem to enjoy

Bowery Wine Bar- Nice, new downtown wine bar.. didn't even know it was a part of Idine until the miles started posting!

Cascina- Decent italian place with a nice upstairs wine room for entertaining small groups.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pitbrian

Trattoria Dopo Teatro- Decent.. held a big group dinner and they have a nice basement wine cellar and small intimate party rooms.. decent prices/ food

Cascina- Decent italian place with a nice upstairs wine room for entertaining small groups.

Brazil Grill- Somewhere different in a sea of similar Idine italian restaurants. Good seafood but spotty service (and dingy bathrooms)

Swizz- Decent traditional Swiss fondue..once again, something different. Wasn't crazy about the fondue, but others enjoyed it.

Baluchi's- Decent Indian. VERY cheap lunch specials.
Cascina and Trattoria Dopo Teatro -- owned by same company. Agree with your assessments. Check for special coupons that might appear on their web sites.

Brazil Grill -- will have to try again but I remember it being fair but nothing special.

Baluchi's --part of a chain of same-named restaurants throughout NYC -- although not all may pariticipate, and som drop off and come back on from time to time. I think that they provide good food at reasonable prices for dinner.

Swizz --I ate at when it first opened at thought it over-priced for the portion size. However, I think it also participates in the AMEX Dish network discount program, so may be a double dip for those who are interested.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AC, VIPorter, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Sad to say but Whym on the Upper West Side has the annotation that it will again be leaving the dining programs. I have a dine scheduled for this coming Saturday so I will talk to the manager and try to persuade him not to leave the program.
Please do. I have spent several hundred dollars there in the past year and I don't live in NYC. I recommend Whym to anyone I know travelling to NYC. And I never would have heard of the restaurant if it weren't for RN.

By the way, there is already another NYC restaurant thread
Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CP@YOW
Please do. I have spent several hundred dollars there in the past year and I don't live in NYC. I recommend Whym to anyone I know travelling to NYC. And I never would have heard of the restaurant if it weren't for RN.

By the way, there is already another NYC restaurant thread

WILL DO.

thanks for alerting to the previous thread. I searched under NYC and that is why I did not find it.

JDiver -- Please merge this thread with that one if you like!
Old Dec 9, 2008, 4:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Exclamation Whym leaves on 12/31/08

The following was received from my contact @ Rewards Network:

Our records indicate that the Whym restaurant located at 889 9th Avenue New York, New York should be leaving our program on 12/31/08. We still recommend that you please visit our website prior to dining to verify
that the restaurant is participating and the restaurants restrictions.
It MIGHT mean that the last day to earn is on 12/30/08 because Whym might wish to exclude themselves from New Year's Eve dinners.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Dec 9, 2008 at 5:53 pm
Old Dec 9, 2008, 6:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Exclamation RedEye Grill, et. al. now pariticpating!

On the positive side, the Fireman Restaurant Group is to join the dining programs soon. They have such eateries as the Redeye Grill, the Brooklyn Diner, Trattoria Dell'Arte, and Cafe Fiorello's (this last one across from Lincoln Center, so somewhat making up for Whym's impending loss).

The above are all now particiapting and it looks like they offer miles every day of the week!
Old Dec 19, 2008, 2:46 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I'll add Serge in Murray Hill to the recommended list. Very nice French bistro fare and a solid, reasonably priced wine list. The $28 prix fixe menu is a steal. Serge will greet you at the door himself!
Old Dec 21, 2008, 3:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Exclamation Possible Triple Play at Seppi's!

This is a decent French restaurant in Midtown NYC with a respectable Prix-Fixe dinner, should you wish to partake of it. Not great, but not terrible.

It long has been a fixture of IDINE.

Many of you may know that you can buy a restaurant dining certificate for the place at Restaurant.com -- with current 80% off codes, this is an added bonus -- but note, the certificate now states, I believe, that you cannot use it with the prix fixe dinner, so beware.

Third, it is part of the Parker Meridien hotel in New York. In the past, the PM in NYC as well as the one in Palm Springs, did NOT participate in the SPG awards program, however, that has recently changed (no doubt thanks to the current state of the economy) and now both hotels do participate in the program.

What this means, is that one should also be able to give the server your SPG program number to also earn SPG points for your meal, even if you are not staying at the hotel -- this has been a hallmark of SPG eateries for some time now.

I am not sure how familiar this eatery is with the last item, as the PM has recently joined the SPG program, but one should be able to earn SPG points from one's meal.

I have yet to partake of this last bonus, yet, as I just thought about it and will be going away for the Christmas holidays, but hopefully someone can report on their experience to see if my supposition is correct.

All in all, one should be able to earn FF miles thru IDINE, as well as SPG points for the meal.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 4:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

On the positive side, the Fireman Restaurant Group is to join the dining programs soon. They have such eateries as the Redeye Grill, the Brooklyn Diner, Trattoria Dell'Arte, and Cafe Fiorello's (this last one across from Lincoln Center).
FYI: Most of the above participate every day of the week, unless they are closed (e.g. Sunday for Shelly's) but I have just learned that a gift card purchased at one of these establishments can be used at any one of the above -- this is helpful if you want to purchase said gift card at a nearby restaurant on a M -W, to be used at a later date at any of the restaurants when only 5 miles a day is given.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
The new Italian restaurant "Organika" at 89 7th Ave South in the Village is excellent (if a little overpriced for some things, like drinks).

It is misnamed on idine/RN as "Organico" and miscategorized, along with the wrong phone number, as being at 7th Avenue instead of 7th Avenue South where it actually is located.

But google it, or look on MenuPages and you'll find the right place...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.